Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience:  Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)

Would like Penn Foster exam answers (please double check a

Would like Penn Foster exam answers (please double check answers
Category: Homework
Expert:  Mr. Gregory White replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Greg.

Can you post the test questions?

:-)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Student ID: 21754892
Exam: 050200RR - PSYCHOLOGY: THE SCIENCE OF THEMIND

1. The left hemisphere of the cerebral cortex is more specialized in language functions and processing
information sequentially. The right hemisphere tends to specialize in spatial perception and distinguishing
patterns. These are examples of cortex
A. evolution.
B. neuroplasticity.
C. adaptation.
D. lateralization.

2. Dr. Jones is interested in how human behavior may be genetically inherited from remote ancestors, such
as chimpanzees. Her field of interest is
A. behavioral genetics.
B. clinical neuropsychology.
C. chemical psychobiology.
D. evolutionary psychology.

3. Dr. Lombard's research is focused on the capacity of the human mind to store and retrieve information.
Her colleague, Dr. Fry, is a clinician who strives to help his clients be "the best that they can be." As a fly
on the wall listening to the two psychologists' friendly disputes during coffee breaks, which of these
assertions would you most likely expect from Dr. Fry?
A. If biology is destiny the concept of free will can be only an illusion.
B. A person's basic assumptions about themselves are inevitably false.
C. People can't be held responsible for their life choices.
D. Mental confusion is best compared to a deficiency in short-term memory.

4. Which of these statements most accurately characterizes linear perspective?
A. Through experience, we determine that changes in images focused on the retina occur as a result of the motion of our bodies.
B. We learn to compensate for the monocular disparity between the retinal images of the left and right eye.
C. As we view a landscape, the relative sizes of objects are revealed by texture gradient cues.
D. Having learned that distant objects tend to be closer together, we interpret a two-dimensional image on the retina in three
dimensions.

5. I study a sample of 100 high school students and find that student IQ scores increase significantly as the
level of reported parental income increases. I can conclude from this that
A. there's a positive correlation between parental income and children's IQ scores.
B. there's a negative relationship between parental income and children's IQ scores.
C. higher parental income causes an increase in children's IQ scores.
D. students get smarter when their parents earn more money.

6. You could locate receptor sites involved in transmitting a nerve impulse by finding the
A. endorphins.
B. neural regulators.
C. synapse.
D. myelin.

7. In the ear, the basilar membrane and hair cells are found in the
A. anvil and stirrup.
B. oval window.
C. auditory nerve.
D. cochlea.

8. In his research, Dr. Caulfield wants to compare levels of test anxiety among high school students in
grades 10 and 12. His hypothesis is that seniors will have higher levels of test anxiety than sophomores will.
His _______ definition of test anxiety for each person in his sample will be a self-reported test-anxiety
level, marked in a questionnaire as "high," "moderate," or "low."
A. theoretical
B. subjective
C. functional
D. operational

9. Which of the following statements regarding depth perception is true?
A. Texture gradient is a monocular cue.
B. Experience teaches us to perceive relative size as an indicator of the color of an object.
C. The change in position of an object relative to the retina is a binocular cue.
D. Motion parallax is detected because we perceive binocular disparity.

10. According to a Gestalt principle called _______, when we're looking at a crowd of people, we tend to
perceive people grouped close together as belonging to a common or related group.
A. closure
B. expectancy
C. proximity
D. simplicity

11. In conducting an experiment, the experimenter divides a sample group of 60 children into two groups of
30 called group A and group B. To make sure the two groups are similar in terms of age, IQ, and so on,
the experimenter will assign people to either group A or B using a/an ________ assignment procedure, such
as a coin toss, where heads sends a subject to group A and tails sends a subject to group B.
A. random
B. subjective
C. independent
D. experimental

12. Lorraine and Albert are discussing neurotransmitters, getting ready for an exam. Lorraine maintains that
neuronal dendrites sort excitatory and inhibitory messages through a process of elimination dictated by
reuptake activity. Albert, on the other hand, argues that inhibitory messages always cancel out excitatory
messages. Who is correct?
A. Albert is correct.
B. Lorraine is correct.
C. Neither Lorraine nor Albert is correct.

D. Both Lorraine and Albert are correct.

13. In a neuron, the myelin sheath serves to insulate
A. the cell body.
B. dendrites.
C. the axon.
D. terminal buttons.

14. Rods are to light intensity as cones are to
A. color perception.
B. the retina.
C. the optic nerve.
D. the iris.

15. Jason argues that the pituitary gland's main purpose is regulating the activity of other glands in the
body. Barbara maintains that the pituitary gland also regulates growth. Who is correct?
A. Both Jason and Barbara are correct.
B. Barbara is correct.
C. Jason is correct.
D. Neither Jason nor Barbara is correct.

16. In the autonomic division of the nervous system, preparing the body for action under conditions of
stress is to the sympathetic division as pupil dilation and inhibited digestive processes are to the _______
division.
A. peripatetic
B. peripheral-somatic
C. peripheral-autonomous
D. sympathetic
17. You'll need to select a sample that represents a larger group when you're conducting
A. naturalistic observation.
B. a case study.
C. archival research.
D. survey research.

18. Regarding the trichromatic theory of color vision, which statement is most accurate?
A. Specialized cells in the retina engage in a process called feature detection.
B. The theory maintains that receptor cells are grouped in pairs, such as black-white.
C. Specialized cells in the retina are sensitive to blue-violet, green, and yellow.
D. The theory helps us understand why we see afterimages of different colors.

19. Which of the following statements regarding taste and smell is true?
A. Taste buds wear out and are replaced about every 25 days.
B. People often have a very short memory of smells.
C. So-called supertasters may be inclined to obesity.
D. Women tend to have a better sense of smell than men.

20. Which of the following statements regarding processing is true?
A. Bottom-up processing allows us to fill in the gaps in an incomplete or ambiguous pattern.
B. Top-down processing is a process of recognizing and processing components of a pattern.
C. Top-down processing allows us to fill in the gaps in an incomplete or ambiguous pattern.
D. Bottom-up processing is guided by experience, expectations, and motivations.

21. By means of introspection, Dr. Marsh attempts to determine the components of things like perception,
thinking, and consciousness. By contrast, Dr. Smyth wants to understand what the mind does in producing
different kinds of behavior. We can reasonably assume that Dr. Marsh's research is mainly guided by the
principles of
A. Gestalt psychology.
B. functionalism.
C. objectivism.
D. structuralism.

22. Among his oil-field buddies, Conrad was known as a cheerfully profane hard drinker who was seldom
averse to a barroom scrap. But, after he suffered a head injury in a car accident he returned to work as a
docile, timid man who could no longer deal with the violent activity of a drill rig platform. His physicians
determined that damage to his __________ was the likely cause of his changed behavior.
A. cerebellum
B. thalamus
C. hippocampus
D. amygdala

23. Among the advanced technologies used to study the brain's structure and functions, which one provides
detailed three-dimensional images of the brain's structures and activities?
A. Functional magnetic resonance imaging
B. Transcranial magnetic stimulation
C. Positron emission tomography
End of exam
D. Electroencephalogram

24. Agatha maintains that people are capable of freely making voluntary choices. Constance is mainly
focused on how aggression is caused by genetic inheritance. It seems reasonable to assume that Constance
is not much interested in environmental factors impacting behavior while Agatha rejects
A. introspection.
B. mental processes.
C. heredity.
D. determinism.

25. Under Weber's law, we'll notice a stimulus difference such that it will be a constant proportion of the
intensity of the initial stimulus. Thus, for weight, we'll notice a one-ounce difference in a weight of 50
ounces. Weber's law applies most directly to the concept of
A. sensory adaptation.
B. difference threshold.
C. absolute threshold.
D. perceived stimulus.

First I need to have this question moved to the correct category.

When do you need the answers?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

exam is due 3/19/13 by 11:59pm

Expert:  Chris M. replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience: Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)