Ray Atkinson
Ray Atkinson, Graduate Student
Experience:  Inner-city high school substitute teacher. Degrees in mathemetics, accounting, and education. Years and years of tutoring.
29937297

The terms "sex" and "gender" mean two different th

The terms "sex" and "gender" mean two different things. Explain the difference between these two concepts. Although they are distinctly different terms, why do people use them interchangeably? Finally, give examples of how you see gender socialization in your own life and then tie those examples back to the differentiation between "sex" and "gender."

Ray Atkinson :

efault extension chrome

Ray Atkinson :

Ignore that. My computer is messing up my windows.

Ray Atkinson :

Sex is an external, physical characteristic (male vs female). Gender is an internal, mental and emotional characteristic (masculine vs feminine). A person can be male and be feminine or a masculine female.

Ray Atkinson :

Male is male is male in any culture, but what is masculine varies considerably.

Ray Atkinson :

As for why people use the terms sex and gender interchangeably is ignorance due to cultural egotism. "A woman's role in my society is what it means to be female," is nonsense, but also very pervasive.

Ray Atkinson :

(Can you give any examples of gender socialization in your life, or should I list some?)

Customer:

if u could list some thatd be great

Ray Atkinson :

Ok. Let me think of a couple.

Ray Atkinson :

How about: Boys are given trucks and girls are given dolls. Boys are pushed towards math and science, while girls are encouraged to study English and history (there was a Barbie doll that actually said, "Math is hard.")
Trucks are a manly thing, while taking care of children is the woman's job. Men are the engineers and women are the teachers. Men are doers, women are thinkers.
It is all garbage, but look at Western society and you'll see it everywhere. It is the exceptions that are refreshing to see.

Customer:

sounds good

Ray Atkinson :

All of it is the expected roles of masculine and feminine in Western culture, but some of the most respected people are the ones who break the rules like Hillary Clinton, Angela Merkle, and Maggie Thatcher.

Ray Atkinson :

You even know a man who homeschools his daughter while his wife works...me (anonymously, of course)

Ray Atkinson :

...not that I am elevating myself to Maggie Thatcher's level, by any means. I'm just giving an example of someone who is not following the "accepted" roles of male and female, and doing quite well at it.

Customer:

thanks i understand it a little better now

Ray Atkinson :

I'm glad to hear that. Do remember to rate. Look me up again if you need help.