TheDoctor
TheDoctor, Professional w/Adv. Degree
Experience:  M.S. in Internet Information Systems

I created a database in Microsoft Access

For TheDoctor Only. I created a database in Microsoft Access that stores basic user profile and login information. Now I need to create a server side .NET application to display the profile information found in the database. I need to use Microsoft Visual Studio/Microsoft Visual Basic 2010 Express. Can you help?
Category: Homework
Expert:  TheDoctor replied 1 year ago.
Hello again! Thank you for requesting me.

I do not work with Microsoft Visual Studio.

My main expertise is in PHP, HTML5/CSS3, JavaScript with jQuery, Adobe Flash/Flex Builder with AS2/3, Adobe ColdFusion, and all major Database Management Systems. I also do some work with Java and C++.

If you ever need assistance with any of these technologies, please feel free to request me.

JustAnswer has other professionals who are experts in Visual Studio. I will open your request up to these professionals for their review.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi, how do I know when my question has been opened to other experts?

Expert:  TheDoctor replied 1 year ago.
It already has been.

When another professional wishes to contact you, you will be notified.
Expert:  TheDoctor replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,

I apologize that you have been left waiting for so long. Do you still require assistance with this?

If so, please describe exactly what the program should do. Is this to be a stand-alone application or should it be an ASP.NET web page?

Also, please send the database file (accdb). You can upload it to http://ge.tt

Once uploaded, you will be given a link on the right. Click on the 'Copy Link' option and then paste it here.

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I still need help with this. Since I didn't receive any response yet I called a little earlier tonight to request a refund. If you able to help I appreciate it. Let me know if I should still upload the database and information needed.

Expert:  TheDoctor replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,

Yes, please send all the information you can and the database. I will do my best to help you.

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so much! Here's the link to the database. http://ge.tt/1B13IQa/v/0?c

It's a simple database that stores user and profile information. I only used two tables. What I need now is to create a server side, .NET application to display the profile information found in the database. This should be an ASP.net web page with all the files included that is necessary to create the .NET application. It was suggested for us to use Microsoft Visual Studio/Microsoft Visual Basic 2010 Express. Is there any other information you need?

Expert:  TheDoctor replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX sufficient information.

I will contact you once this is complete.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so so much! I probably won't be online again until tomorrow around 6pm CST.

Expert:  TheDoctor replied 1 year ago.
No problem. Have a good night.
Expert:  TheDoctor replied 1 year ago.
Hello again!

You can download the completed project here:

http://wikisend.com/download/448684/MonkeyBar.zip

As you requested, it is an ASP.NET web site that displays the content of the access database.

There are two pages. The first page displays the content of the members page, the second page displays the content of the users page.

I had to make some modifications to your database in order to make this work, as your database file had issues. The database file is found in the project inside of the monkey folder.

Now, getting this to run if you wish to view it is not necessarily a simple process. It really depends on what version of windows you have.

So, I will assume that you have "Microsoft Visual Studio Express 2012 for Web" installed.

Unzip the file I sent you and then place it in your projects directory would should be found in you documents folder under Documents/Visual Studio 2012/Projects

Then, in Visual Studio, select "Open Project" from the menu.

Now, open up the monkeybar folder and find MonkeyBar.sln -- Select and open this file.

This will open the entire project in Visual Studio

To run, you of course, select the play button in the top ribbon. At this point you may or may not get errors due to having the correct OLEDB registered on your computer. There are some issues that seem to occur when you are running 64bit windows. If you run into this issue, know that I did also. If you do run into this issue, you are going to need to install a couple engines on your computer.

Here are the install files:

http://wikisend.com/download/105290/engines.zip

You will close visual studio, and then install the one that ends in _x64. Then install the other one.

Then reopen Visual Studio. You should now be able to expand the App_Data directory in the project and double click on the database name without any errors coming up. You will see that you are able to view a list of the tables and the columns within the tables.

Now you will be able to "Play" the site. You have to do it this way because ASP and the other server-side codes involved require an IIS sever that is set up to run this stuff. When you run the site through Visual Studio for Web, it uses a small IIS server set up especially for this purpose so that you can view and test your site.

Let me know if you have any questions. I'm here to help.

Please remember to rate my answer. Thank you so much!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm just getting home. It'll take me a little time to get this all down. I will make sure I come back and reply and rate you. Thanks again so much.

Okay, I just followed the steps of unzipping the file, placing it in my projects directory, in Visual Studio I selected "Open Project", and I opened the MonkeyBar folder, which when I clicked on it opened in Visual Studio; however, I do not see a Play button to select. Here's a screen print of what I did. Well I just tried to upload the file, but will have to go through the other way. I will post it shortly.

Okay here's the link with a Word doc showing what I did. http://ge.tt/2VxkMWa/v/0?c

Expert:  TheDoctor replied 1 year ago.

In the screenshot that you sent me, you do not have any project open.

You have to, while in Visual Studio, go to FILE->OPEN PROJECT

Then navigate into the MonkyBar folder and Double Click on the MonkeyBar.sln File.

A window will come up saying "Preparing Solution"

Once that is done, the play button will appear in the top ribbon. It will also probably have the name of your default browser on it.

If you have successfully and correctly opened the project in Visual Studio, then you will be able to select "Solution Explorer" int he right-hand box. Currently "Database Explorer" is selected.

In this, you will see "MonkeyBar". If you do not see it, then you didn't open the project.

You can right click on "MonkeyBar" in the solution explorer and select "View in Browser" it is the same thing as the play button.

Expert:  TheDoctor replied 1 year ago.

By the way, it doesn't look like you have Solution Explorer open.

Go to View->Solution Explorer

Here is where you will see MonkeyBar.

Right click on it and select "View in Browser" (Or press CTRL-SHIFT-W)

Expert:  TheDoctor replied 1 year ago.
Here is a screencast of me opening the project that I sent you in Visual Studio and playing it in my browser:

http://www.screencast.com/t/VXxyyvaAuRl

As you can see, the project works fine. Writing code for visual studio and showing you how to use visual studio are separate issues. I'm much better at the code part than I am at the getting individuals to set things correctly on your computer part. While I can write all of the code correctly, I cannot change your settings for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I was able to see how you opened the project by clicking on the default.aspx. On your screencast I can see "DOCTYPE:HTML5 selected from a drop down box on the right side of the dropdown box that has "Debug" in it. Is there a toolbar I need to view to see the dropdown box for DOCTYPE:HTML5?

Expert:  TheDoctor replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,

That won't change you being able to run the file. I sent a similar project to another customer just last night and he didn't have any issue running the ASP project. I'm not certain why you are. But as you can see, it isn't the project.

That box is the target schema. Changing it doesn't really do anything but change the doctype, which is used for HTML validation through the W3C. It is functionally meaningless.

To see that drop down, goto View->Toolbars->HTML Source Editing

Please remember to rate my answer. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I think I know the problem. There's an error because the path to the database is not valid. Where can I change this information to where my database is located on my computer? Here's the error explanation.

Exception Details: System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException: 'C:\Users\Travis\Documents\Visual Studio 2012\Projects\MonkeyBar\MonkeyBar\monkey\Monkey Bar Gym Week 2.accdb' is not a valid path. Make sure that the path name is XXXXX XXXXX and that you are connected to the server on which the file resides.

Expert:  TheDoctor replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,

One moment. I am going to attempt to fix that so that you don't have to specify the directory.
Expert:  TheDoctor replied 1 year ago.
Alright, here is a fixed copy of the project.

Here is a fixed copy of the project:

http://wikisend.com/download/536772/MonkeyBar.zip

Close out Visual Studio. You won't be able to remove the old copy of MonkeyBar until you restart your computer.

So place this new version in your projects folder as MonkeyBar2 or something like that.

Then open this project. Make sure you open MonkeyBar2.

I have corrected the explicit directory issue. It now references the APP_DATA rather than an actual directory.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay I will do so. I have to first finish an assignment that's due shortly and I will follow your instructions.

Expert:  TheDoctor replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,

If you close Visual Studio and your Browser Windows, you should be able to delete the original MonkeyBar so you can put the new MonkeyBar in. The solution was a bunch of different steps, so It was easier for me to just send you a new copy.

Please remember to rate my answer. And please know that you can ask any follow-up questions that you may have even after you have rated.

Thank you again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My apologies. I will not be able to review tonight. Just got a call that my daughter is on the way to the hospital she thinks she's in labor. I will either be back on later tonight or tomorrow. Thanks for all your help. I'll be sure to give you a tip for putting up with all my questions.

Expert:  TheDoctor replied 1 year ago.
No problem. I look forward to hearing back from you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just got home. I was called into work. I will check now what you sent to me last night.

Expert:  TheDoctor replied 1 year ago.
Excellent. Remember that the new MonkeyBar does not require any specific directory. So you should not get an OLEDB error like that again.

Let me know if you get any other OLEDB errors, which is entirely possible.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just followed the instructions and viewed it in the Browser. The Members page showed up fine; however, the Users page had the same error as before.

Here's a Word doc with how both pages displayed.

http://ge.tt/1VDTraa/v/0?c

Expert:  TheDoctor replied 1 year ago.
Hello again!
Open up Users.aspx
Go to line 25. You will see:
<asp:SqlDataSource ID="SqlDataSource1" runat="server" ConnectionString="Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source=&quot;C:\Users\Travis\Documents\Visual Studio 2012\Projects\MonkeyBar\MonkeyBar\monkey\Monkey Bar Gym Week 2.accdb&quot;" DeleteCommand="DELETE FROM [UserId] WHERE [UserId] = ?" InsertCommand="INSERT INTO [UserId] ([UserId], [Password], [UserName]) VALUES (?, ?, ?)" ProviderName="System.Data.OleDb" SelectCommand="SELECT [UserId], [Password], [UserName] FROM [UserId]" UpdateCommand="UPDATE [UserId] SET [Password] = ?, [UserName] = ? WHERE [UserId] = ?">

Replace it with:

<asp:SqlDataSource ID="SqlDataSource1" runat="server" ConnectionString="<%$ ConnectionStrings:ConnectionString %>" DeleteCommand="DELETE FROM [UserId] WHERE [UserId] = ?" InsertCommand="INSERT INTO [UserId] ([UserId], [Password], [UserName]) VALUES (?, ?, ?)" ProviderName="System.Data.OleDb" SelectCommand="SELECT [UserId], [Password], [UserName] FROM [UserId]" UpdateCommand="UPDATE [UserId] SET [Password] = ?, [UserName] = ? WHERE [UserId] = ?">

And then save. Notice that I altered the ConnectionString value.
Expert:  TheDoctor replied 1 year ago.

If you are not comfortable making that change yourself, just let me know. I'll send you the modified version.

Send me any other issues you have! Again, I'm sorry you had to wait for so long for this. When I saw that no other professional had assisted you in so many days, it was important to me that I step in and try and help you.

Thank you again

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi I'm not sure if you received my last response. I made the change and it worked! Thank you so much. One last thing can you explain to me what issues my original database and what modifications had to be made to the database to make it work? Also, I truly appreciate you noticing no other help stepped forward. I was just throwing the towel in on this.

Expert:  TheDoctor replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
TheDoctor, Professional w/Adv. Degree
Experience: M.S. in Internet Information Systems
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Good info to know. Again thank you! Until I bugged you again for help on something else have wonderful days!! I'll rate you of course as Excellent!

Expert:  TheDoctor replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome. You have wonderful days also.