Susan Athena
Susan Athena, Professional w/Adv. Degree
Experience:  10+ yrs teaching & tutoring. AP essay grader. 2 masters degrees. English, IT, business.
12809769

Internet peer-to-peer (P2P) networking involves sharing files

Internet peer-to-peer (P2P) networking involves sharing files and other resources directly with other computers via the Internet. While some content is legally exchanged via an Internet P2P network, some content (such as movies and music) is exchanged illegally.
1.
Should Internet P2P networks be regulated to ensure they are used for only legal activities? Why or why not?
2.
If a P2P network set up for legitimate use is used for illegal purposes, should the organization or person who set up the P2P network be responsible? Explain your answer.

3.
Would you want to use an Internet P2P network? Why or why not?
4.
Use the Web to research more about BitTorrent and Gnutella’s LimeWire. Do you think these are legitimate peer-to-peer P2P networks? Why or why not?
5.
Prepare a one-page summary that answers these questions
Category: Homework
Expert:  Susan Athena replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Thanks for your question!

Are you looking for a social/ethical perspective or a legal perspective?

And when do you need a response, please?

Kind regards,
Susan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Social and as soon as possible
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

also i need a few sentences explaining,

• Summarize the technical experiences in completing the On Your Own project.

• Identify the greatest skill learned in the assignment and how it will benefit you in the real world.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want to change it too a little bit of social and legal aspect
Hi. So sorry for the delay! I posted something last night but it didn't go through. I've rewritten a model answer for you.

Please let me know if you need anything else.

Kind regards,
Susan

Internet P2P networks should not be regulated to ensure they're only used for legal activities, any more than phone networks should be monitored to ensure no illegal activity occurs on them. With internet activity, there's a very fine line between "government regulation" and "government monitoring". With US mail, there are laws against mail fraud, but the government would require a warrant to seize and monitor the contents of the mail. An internet service, on the other hand, provides little protection to users in monitoring.

It should be left to the networks themselves to self-regulate and try to minimize the amount of illegal activity that occurs. When the network is used for illegal activities, the copyright holders should be free to pursue the users who illegally share or distribute their works. There are no other cases in which the systems transporting illegal goods are held responsible for the contents of those goods. For example, FedEx wouldn't be held responsible if a drug dealer used their services to ship cocaine, nor is your internet service provider responsible for your use of email to organize illegal activity.

Personally, I would use a P2P network to find music or movies that I was interested in and wanted to "try before I buy", only if a sample wasn't available on YouTube or similar sites (which is pretty rare these days). In general, it's better to purchase or rent music, movies and software legally through Amazon music, itunes, Steam, or similar services. The downloads are better quality, more reliable, and honestly easier to use. With P2P networks, you run the risk of downloading something undesireable (like a computer virus). Also, there are well-publicized cases of both legitimate copyright lawsuits, and copyright "trolls" (those who find users of P2P networks, threaten them with embarrassing lawsuits, and try to reach relatively small settlements). Most of the time, the risk isn't worth it.

Services like Limewire (now Frostwire, which is built from the same source code) and protocols like BitTorrent are "legitimate" in the sense that they can be used for sharing personally owned content. But unlike YouTube, which is used mostly for personal content and occasionally for illegal content, these services are mostly used for copyrighted content purely so users can avoid paying for it. They make no attempt to remove illegal content, ban users for posting illegal content, identify users by name, or even recognize it as a problem. For that reason, these services (unlike YouTube) are not making a good faith effort to work with copyright holders and limit or eliminate copyright infringement through their networks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you put the answer in apa style and write the a few sentences explaining tge technical difficulties and how I can use this in the real world. Thanks
Hi. The technical difficulty was in finding information about Limewire. I researched it and then discovered that Limewire can no longer be downloaded and that it has been replaced with Frostwire. There was substantial conflicting information.

You can add the following reference (in APA style):

Albanesius, Chloe (2010, October 27). LimeWire is dead: What are the alternatives? PCMag.com. Retrieved from http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2371590,00.asp

Kind regards,
Susan
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.
Experience: 10+ yrs teaching & tutoring. AP essay grader. 2 masters degrees. English, IT, business.