FiveStarLaw
FiveStarLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer, Accountant and Researcher

legal questions

Customer Question

1. How would the Sophists best treat the value of social responsibility? Answer a)Ignore it since nothing is real anyway. b)Adhere to it since God commands it as in the parable of the Good Samaritan. c)Use it instrumentally as a tool to empower yourself and your company. d)Adhere to it since it is an intrinsic moral truth to help others. 2. The best approach to social responsibility for business today would be to emulate: Answer a)Robin Hood of "Merry Olde England" days (who stole from the rich to give to the poor, and who became a big hero b)Marie Antoinette, Queen of France during the Revolution (who said, when told the poor had no bread to eat, said "Let them eat cake," and who, alas, was beheaded) c)Francis of Assisi, the son of a rich Italian merchant, who gave away everything to the poor, including the clothes he was wearing, and thus walked around Assisi naked (but who later became a Saint) d)Home Depot for focusing prudently and primarily on Habitat for Humanity in their charitable giving and community help efforts. 3. Regarding the values of legality, morality, and social responsibility, which of the following is/are TRUE: Answer a)One can be sued for acting illegally. b)One cannot be sued for "merely" acting immorally unless some law is also violated. c)One cannot be sued for "merely" being socially irresponsible or non-responsive unless some law is also violated. d)All of the above are true. 4. The following statements pertain to the use of the law as a device to control corporate misbehavior. Which statement is most accurate? Answer a)A factor operating as a limit on the law's effectiveness is that rational corporate actors may at times consciously decide it makes more sense to violate a legal rule to advance their self-interest if they think they can "get away with it." b)Because business entities seldom have a significant voice in determining the law's content, the law has generally proved to be an ineffective control device. c)A basic assumption underlying the use of the law as a control device is that corporations frequently behave irrationally. d)The law as a control device is irrelevant since market forces eventually will curb all illegal and immoral conduct. 5. Which of the following is not a correct statement? Answer a)Pursuant to Kantian ethics, morality is judged by a person's act. b)Pursuant to most ethical theories, law and ethical standards never conflict with one another; and thus if something is a law, it is, by definition, moral. c)Pursuant to an ethics based on conscience or intuition, a person looks solely within himself or herself for ethical codes or moral determinations. d)John Locke and Jean Jacques Rousseau would support the Social Contract theory of morality. 6. What is/are very important statutes governing "e-contacts," that is, entering into contracts online? Answer a)The Uniform Electronic Transactions Act (UETA) b)The Uniform Computer Information Transactions Act (UCITA) c)The Electronic Signature in Global and National Commerce Act d)All of the above. 7. What as a general rule makes a covenant-not-to-compete legal in an employment contract? Answer a)The covenant must be reasonable as to time/duration. b)The covenant must be reasonable as to place/territory. c)The employer must be able to demonstrate that the covenant was necessary to protect a legitimate business interest of the employer. d)All of the above. 8. A corporation typically may not have: Answer a)a single incorporator. b)a single shareholder. c)a single director. d)it may have any of the above. The significance of a "frolic and detour" is that: Answer a)It determines if an employee can be liable on a contract made on the employer's behalf. b)It can determine if someone working for a business is an employee or independent contractor. c)It can determine if an employer is liable for the negligence tort of an employee. d)It can determine if an employee is liable for torts he commits on the job. 9. National Sales, Inc., wants to make an offering of securities to the public. The offer is not exempt from registration. Before National sells these securities, it must provide investors with Answer a)a marketing and management plan. b)a prospectus. c)a registration statement. d)a tombstone ad. 10. Which of the following statements is not correct? Answer a)Generally, a state court can exercise jurisdiction over a nonresident by showing that he or she had sufficient contacts with the state. b)A lawsuit involving a federal question can originate in a federal court in the United States. c)The United States Supreme Court has automatic appellate authority over all cases decided in the state courts. d)An answer to a lawsuit can admit to allegations made in a complaint in the U.S. civil law system. 11. Carl holds himself out as a partner of Delta Associates, a partnership, even though he has no connec¬tion to the firm. Carl obtains a loan based on the misrepresentation. Carl's default on the loan results in: Answer a) Carl and Delta's joint liability for the amount. b) Carl's sole liability for the amount. c) Delta's sole liability for the amount. d) neither Carl's nor Delta's liability. 12. Local Delivery Company and Regional Trucking, Inc., attempt to enter into a contract in electronic form. Under the Electronic Signatures in Global and National Commerce Act (E­SIGN Act), because this contract is in electronic form, it: Answer a)  may be denied legal effect. b) may not be denied legal effect. c)  will be limited to certain terms. d) will not be enforced.

Category: Homework
Expert:  FiveStarLaw replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning,

I may be able to assist you. The formatting of your question makes it very difficult to read. Would you please upload your questions to a third-party file sharing site such as mediafire.com and then post the link here?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi!

I know I just couldn't find a way to make it look better.

let me try now.

1. How would the Sophists best treat the value of social responsibility?

Answer

a) Ignore it since nothing is real anyway.

b) Adhere to it since God commands it as in the parable of the Good Samaritan.

c) Use it instrumentally as a tool to empower yourself and your company.

d) Adhere to it since it is an intrinsic moral truth to help others.

2. The best approach to social responsibility for business today would be to emulate:

Answer

a) Robin Hood of "Merry Olde England" days (who stole from the rich to give to the poor, and who became a big hero

b) Marie Antoinette, Queen of France during the Revolution (who said, when told the poor had no bread to eat, said "Let them eat cake," and who, alas, was beheaded)

c) Francis of Assisi, the son of a rich Italian merchant, who gave away everything to the poor, including the clothes he was wearing, and thus walked around Assisi naked (but who later became a Saint)

d) Home Depot for focusing prudently and primarily on Habitat for Humanity in their charitable giving and community help efforts.

3. Regarding the values of legality, morality, and social responsibility, which of the following is/are TRUE:

Answer

a) One can be sued for acting illegally.

b) One cannot be sued for "merely" acting immorally unless some law is also violated.

c) One cannot be sued for "merely" being socially irresponsible or non-responsive unless some law is also violated.

d) All of the above are true.

4. The following statements pertain to the use of the law as a device to control corporate misbehavior. Which statement is most accurate?

Answer

a) A factor operating as a limit on the law's effectiveness is that rational corporate actors may at times consciously decide it makes more sense to violate a legal rule to advance their self-interest if they think they can "get away with it."

b) Because business entities seldom have a significant voice in determining the law's content, the law has generally proved to be an ineffective control device.

c) A basic assumption underlying the use of the law as a control device is that corporations frequently behave irrationally.

d) The law as a control device is irrelevant since market forces eventually will curb all illegal and immoral conduct.

5. Which of the following is not a correct statement?

Answer

a) Pursuant to Kantian ethics, morality is judged by a person's act.

b) Pursuant to most ethical theories, law and ethical standards never conflict with one another; and thus if something is a law, it is, by definition, moral.

c) Pursuant to an ethics based on conscience or intuition, a person looks solely within himself or herself for ethical codes or moral determinations.

d) John Locke and Jean Jacques Rousseau would support the Social Contract theory of morality.

6. What is/are very important statutes governing "e-contacts," that is, entering into contracts online?

Answer

a) The Uniform Electronic Transactions Act (UETA)

b) The Uniform Computer Information Transactions Act (UCITA)

c) The Electronic Signature in Global and National Commerce Act

d) All of the above.

7. What as a general rule makes a covenant-not-to-compete legal in an employment contract?

Answer

a) The covenant must be reasonable as to time/duration.

b) The covenant must be reasonable as to place/territory.

c) The employer must be able to demonstrate that the covenant was necessary to protect a legitimate business interest of the employer.

d) All of the above.

8. A corporation typically may not have:

Answer

a) a single incorporator.

b) a single shareholder.

c) a single director.

d) it may have any of the above.

9. The significance of a "frolic and detour" is that:

Answer

a) It determines if an employee can be liable on a contract made on the employer's behalf.

b) It can determine if someone working for a business is an employee or independent contractor.

c) It can determine if an employer is liable for the negligence tort of an employee.

d) It can determine if an employee is liable for torts he commits on the job.

10. National Sales, Inc., wants to make an offering of securities to the public. The offer is not exempt from registration. Before National sells these securities, it must provide investors with

Answer

a) a marketing and management plan.

b) a prospectus.

c) a registration statement.

d) a tombstone ad.

11. Which of the following statements is not correct?

Answer

a) Generally, a state court can exercise jurisdiction over a nonresident by showing that he or she had sufficient contacts with the state.

b) A lawsuit involving a federal question can originate in a federal court in the United States.

c) The United States Supreme Court has automatic appellate authority over all cases decided in the state courts.

d) An answer to a lawsuit can admit to allegations made in a complaint in the U.S. civil law system.

12. Carl holds himself out as a partner of Delta Associates, a partnership, even though he has no connec¬tion to the firm. Carl obtains a loan based on the misrepresentation. Carl's default on the loan results in

Answer

a) Carl and Delta's joint liability for the amount.

b) Carl's sole liability for the amount.

c) Delta's sole liability for the amount.

d) neither Carl's nor Delta's liability.

13. Local Delivery Company and Regional Trucking, Inc., attempt to enter into a contract in electronic form. Under the Electronic Signatures in Global and National Commerce Act (E­SIGN Act), because this contract is in electronic form, it

Answer

a) may be denied legal effect.

b) may not be denied legal effect.

c) will be limited to certain terms.

d) will not be enforced.

Thank you. It is much more legible now. Is it a total of ten questions? What is the deadline?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It's 13 questions total. Are you seeing just 10?

It would be great to have the answers by Monday 02/18/13

Now there are 13!!!!!!! LOL. No problem. I will have the work completed today.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Perfect!! Thank you :)

THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.
FiveStarLaw, Lawyer
Experience: Lawyer, Accountant and Researcher

Thank you very much for the "excellent service" rating and the bonus!

If I can be of assistance in the future, begin your question with: "For FiveStarLaw"