Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience:  Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)

1.Your boss calls you to his office to critique your draft

1.Your boss calls you to his office to critique your draft of a report. Most of his comments are negative. You should listen carefully because A.He's the boss and you have no choice. B.If he sees you paying careful attention, his opinion of the draft might improve. C.You need to know what kind of improvement counts. D.You think that any sign of disrespect from you will only lead to problems later. E.You may need a letter of recommendation from him some day. 2.You are discussing personnel changes in your department with several of your managers. When you mention the possibility of a long-standing employee being transferred to another department, that department manager's face goes blank. She is silent. You should interpret her behavior as A.An indication that she disapproves of the transfer. B.An indication that she approves of the transfer. C.An indication that she might have feelings, but there's no way to tell simply from the expression. D.An indication that she expects the employee would rather stay in her department. E.None of the above. 3.The longest phase in the life of a task group is A.Formation. B.Orientation. C.Formalization. D.Coordination. E.All are equally long. 4.You've assembled a team of diverse individuals from throughout your organization. The team is charged with finding ways to make their departments work more efficient with others. Though early in the group process, members occasionally disagreed on issues, you've noticed that lately there is little discussion and universal agreement. This is A.A good sign that the group's members are learning to work together. B.A good sign that the group's members have found a solution that is likely best for the project. C.A bad sign that the group's members may be losing interest in the project. D.A bad sign that the group's members may be giving in to groupthink. E.None of the above. 5.A subordinate comes to you because he is upset with treatment he receives from co-workers. A good first response would be to A.Tell him to solve his own problems. B.Tell him about your problems with the same people. C.Give him some advice on how to handle the situation. D.Acknowledge his feelings. E.Tell him to grow up. 6.You are leading a group task force at work. Which of the following is NOT a good practice as a leader? A.Scheduling frequent meetings. B.Dealing with conflict directly within the group. C.Insisting that everyone know what they are responsible for and when each task is due. D.Letting a sub-group make decisions and then inform other members of that decision. E.All of the above are good practices. 7.Your group meets to discuss several issues important to updating the process for new hires. Though you've set aside an hour for the meeting, it's obvious after the first 25 minutes that the group is unlikely to get to all of the items you'd raised. You're disappointed because you'd hoped that a discussion would yield better results. To make the next meeting more productive, your BEST strategy is to A.Invite fewer people because too large a group often results in too much inefficiency. B.Invite more people because the more voices you have, the more ideas you get. C.Follow Robert's Rules of Order more closely, especially when it comes to voting. D.Create an agenda that includes topics and the time allotted to discussing them. E.Both C and D. 8.You've been in your organization for nearly five years, and you're starting to feel stagnant in both your skills and your familiarity with your discourse community. To revitalize, you should A.Reach out to people beyond your department. B.Get to know more people socially, perhaps by going to lunch. C.Do nothing, as studies suggest that the five-year mark is a common point for employees to stagnate. D.None of the above. E.A and B. 9.Returning from lunch, you often run into your boss as she finishes her daily downtown walk. Sometimes you chat casually while she purchases a beverage at the lobby store or while taking the stairs back to the 3rd floor. What is the BEST strategy to maximize your interaction with her at these impromptu meetings? A.Plan a brief script about what project you're on or what concerns you might have about it. B.Keep things social. Since it's lunch and she's not even back at the office, chances are she'll be annoyed talking about work. C.Ask her if she'd mind your tagging along for her walks. D.Offer to pay for her beverage, as that's a good way to show solidarity. E.A and C.

10.In the middle of a presentation, you think of an example that is not on your outline. You should add this new point to your planned material if

A.You have only one other example for that point in your outline.
B.You know that the room is free after your talk so you can go a little over your time.
C.The example will clarify a point because it is relevant to your audience's experiences and interests.
D.The audience is clearly impatient and wants to leave.
E.All of the above.

11.For career day, you give a 30-minute presentation to junior high school students. You start with an employee training video about your company's manufacturing processes. Then, you use animated PowerPoint slides originally created for subcontractors who manufacture parts to your precise specifications. When you're finished speaking and ask for questions, the room is silent. Chances are there are no questions because your presentation

A.Was thorough and, therefore, successful.
B.Too complex for the students to fully appreciate.
C.Interesting enough to leave the students thinking.
D.Just plain boring.
E.None of the above.

12.To open your presentation on air travel today, you plan to share statistics from 1954 describing the number of people choosing to travel by airplane. You then will tell an anecdote about the last time you traveled by jet and coincidentally sat next to someone who was married in 1954. Is this a good strategy?

A.Yes, because people will naturally see the connection between two events linked by a year.
B.Yes, because during the 1950s, air travel was exotic for most people, and the statistics will prove that fact.
C.No, because the romance and adventure of air travel during the 1950s is long over.
D.No, because audiences today may identify better with more recent events and statistics than those more than 50 years old.
E.None of the above.

13.It's important to define the problem you wish to solve because

A.People expect it.
B.The exercise will help you understand the resources you need.
C.Adding a definition helps to increase the length of the report.
D.How you define the problem shapes the solutions you find.
E.None of the above.

14.You receive a Request for Proposals (RFP). Although it says to include budget information with your proposal, you're reluctant because that information could be used to bargain with your competitors. Is it a good idea to leave the budget information out?

A.No, because you should provide all of the information the RFP requests.
B.No, because chances are your competitor will take the same strategy, and you will seem more customer-service-oriented by comparison.
C.Yes, because taking the initiative to create your own proposal sections shows you're a leader and not a follower.
D.Yes, because most organizations expect the proposals to differ somewhat from what the RFP specifies.
E.None of the above.

15.You will conduct a survey in three months in the school registration center to find out how the add/drop procedure could be improved. You have several closed questions prepared for the survey, but you don't know if the choices provided are adequate. You should

A.Conduct a pretest with open questions to find commonly chosen categories.
B.Conduct a pretest to see if the terms used mean the different things to different people.
C.Conduct the survey as it is, and leave an "other" line for each question.
D.Convert the closed questions into open questions, even though it will take respondents twice as long to fill the survey out.
E.Forget about the survey; it's too complicated.

16.You are writing a report that explains the current duties of each person in your department. The MOST appropriate organizational pattern would be

A.Pro and con.
B.Functional.
C.Geographic or spatial.
D.Chronological.
E.None of the above.

17.Justification reports should

A.Never provide detailed information, as they are meant to be short.
B.Rarely provide detailed information, as they are meant to be short.
C.Provide detailed information, as they are meant to be long.
D.Provide as much detail as necessary for your reader.
E.None of the above.

18.Which of the following parts of the formal report would be LEAST likely to give the writer's recommendation?

A.Executive Summary.
B.Assumptions.
C.Title.
D.Transmittal.
E.Recommendation.

19.Which of the following summarizes points made in the body of the report?

A.Conclusions.
B.Recommendations.
C.Scope.
D.Assumptions.
E.None of the above.

20.For your report on your company's need to recruit a more diverse workforce, you include a graphic showing current demographics, using a white figure to show employees in the majority and a black figure to show employees in the minority. Is this a good strategy?

A.Yes, because white and black are contrasting colors that will get information across to readers efficiently.
B.Yes, because diversity issues are primarily about proportions of white and black employees.
C.No, because a more dramatic color difference is necessary.
D.No, because it implies that diversity issues are solely limited to those of whites and blacks.
E.None of the above.

Category: Homework
Expert:  Chris M. replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience: Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)