Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience:  Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)

1. Which of the following statements about filling a cooling

1. Which of the following statements about filling a cooling system is correct?
A. If you must add coolant to a warm engine, you should remove the radiator cap and add the coolant while the engine is off.
B. In a vehicle that has a coolant recovery system, the radiator should be filled to the very top with coolant.
C.In a vehicle that has a coolant recovery system, the radiator should be filled with coolant to about one inch below the top of the filler neck.
D. A coolant recovery tank should always be filled to the very top.

2. Dirt and debris in the radiator's cooling fins, a faulty radiator fan clutch, a thermostat that is stuck closed, or a damaged air dam are all likely to cause
A. water pump failure.
B. engine overheating.
C. coolant leaks.
D. engine overcooling.

3. Imagine that you are troubleshooting a cooling system. The heater in the passenger compartment is producing very little heat, but the coolant level in the engine appears to be okay. When you start the engine, coolant starts flowing immediately. The probable cause of this problem is
A. a thermostat stuck open.
B. a coolant leak into the lubrication system.
C. a thermostat stuck closed.
D. a coolant leak into a combustion chamber.

4. If a water pump's ____ is worn, the pump shaft has too much free play, and the pump makes a loud whining noise as it operates.
A. seal
B. impeller
C. drive belt
D. bearing

5. Which of the following statements about water pump drive belts is correct?
A. The tension in a serpentine belt must be adjusted regularly.
B. In a serpentine drive belt system, the belt tension is usually maintained by a sprinq-loaded idler pulley.
lC. If a water pump is driven by an engine's timing belt, a drive-belt pulley keeps the belt at the proper tension.
D. If a water pump is driven off the crankshaft by V-type belts, the belt tension never needs to be adjusted.

6. Look at Figure A-1. What is the automotive technician in this illustration doing?
A. Checking the operation of a thermostat
B. Pressure testing a radiator core
C. Checking for coolant leaks in an engine
D. Pressure testing a radiator cap

7. Which of the following components is opened to drain the coolant from an engine block during servicing?
A. Petcock
B. Filler neck
C. Block drain plug
D. Blow-off valve

8. Imagine that you are observing an automotive technician perform a test on a cooling system. As you watch, the technician installs a pressure tester at the filler neck of the vehicle's radiator. Then, he starts the engine and watches the pressure gage on the tester. As the engine runs, the pressure reading begins to rise. What IS the probable cause of this test result?
A. Coolant is leaking into the lubrication system.
B. The radiator pressure cap is faulty.
C. The technician performed the pressure test incorrectly.
D. Combustion gases are leaking into the cooling system.

9. The center section of a radiator where the actual cooling takes place is called the ___
A. core
B. recovery tank
C. filler neck
D. pressure cap

10. If the oil in an engine's lubrication system appears milky white or light tan in color, what is the likely cause of this condition?
A. The engine is constantly overheating.
B. Coolant is leaking into the lubrication system.
C. The water pump bearings are worn.
D. Too much antifreeze was added to the coolant mixture in the engine.

11. In an overhead-camshaft engine, the_____ often drives the water pump as well as the camshafts in the cylinder head.
A. timing belt
B. transmission
C. battery
D. radiator fan motor

12. Imagine that you are checking an engine's cooling system. When you check the coolant level, you find that the level is very low. After performing a complete visual examination of the cooling system, you can't see any leaks. You then perform a pressure test on the cooling system, but still cannot locate any external coolant
leaks. You examine a sample of oil from the engine, but the oil does not appear to be contaminated. Next, you remove the spark plugs from the engine and examine them. One spark plug appears to be extremely clean.
Which of the following is the probable cause of the low coolant level?
A. Coolant is leaking into the combustion chamber.
B. The water pump seal has failed.
C. Coolant is leaking into the lubrication system.
D. A radiator hose has ruptured.

13. Which of the following statements about air-cooled engines is correct?
A. In air-cooled engines, the cylinders and cylinder heads are finned to decrease their overall surface area.
B. A typical liquid-cooled engine has better gas mileage and a more efficient emission system than an
equivalent air-cooled engine.
C. Air-cooled engines provide poor passenger compartment heating, tend to be noisy, and tend to develop oil leaks.
D. Air-cooled engines must be maintained periodically.
Category: Homework
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm a Moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes its ok, and thank you.

Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a Professional for you.
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your patience, your business is very important to us, we are waiting on the Professional with the right expertise to come online. Feel free to let us know if you would like us to continue searching for a Professional or if you would like us to close your question. Thank you for your understanding!
Expert:  Chris M. replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience: Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

question 1 is not C but B. But its alright thank you for your hard work.

Expert:  Chris M. replied 1 year ago.
Hello e. kistol,

Glad I could assist you. Please remember to provide a positive rating so that I am credited for my efforts.

Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank You

Expert:  Chris M. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the rating and feedback. Hope to be able to assist you again soon.

-Chris M.