Eric M.
Eric M., Tutor
Experience:  9 years of tutoring experience, Bachelor's and Master's in Computing, pursuing PhD

1. (TCOs 5, 8) The idea that the assisted suicide of terminally

1. (TCOs 5, 8) The idea that the assisted suicide of terminally ill patients should be allowed or assisted for the greater happiness of all concerned reflects what type of ethics? (Points : 5)
Aristotle's Doctrine of the Mean
Kant's Categorical Imperative (in the 2nd Formulation)
Thomas Aquinas's concept of conscience
Rand's concept of self-interest
Mill's Principle of Utility

2. (TCO 1) What is the moral ideal of compassion? (Points : 5)
Acts of unmerited kindness
Sentiment in response to the suffering of others
Acknowledging the sufferings of others
Acts of altruism
Acts contrary to Objectivism

3. (TCO 4, 5) One of the common errors in Ethics is that of the double standard. Double standard consists of what? (Points : 5)
Discriminating in the application of ethical criteria based on our own preferences
Setting aside ethical criteria in special cases
Taking steps to avoid condemnation of others
Using one set of criteria for judging cases concerning ourselves and another for all others
Suspending judgment when concerned that the consequences would be too severe

4. (TCOs 1, 5) Prescriptive language used in ethical discussions is characterized by which of the following words? (Points : 5)
Cannot be
Could be
Used to be
Should be
Must be

5. (TCOs 1, 2, 4, 6) Ethical Egoism proposes that all decisions should be made to promote what? (Points : 5)
Our fiduciary responsibilities
The good will of others
Our self-interests
The welfare of the community
Stronger relationships

6.

(TCOs 1, 2, 4, 6) John Locke, as a Social Contract theorist, is said to have been the most influential person who was not actually present at the table when what document was written?
(Points : 5)
The Articles of Confederation
The Declaration of Independence
The Magna Carta
The Constitution
The Treaty of Westphalia

7. (TCO 8) Agricultural biofuels are not properly a renewable source of energy in the environmental ethics debate. Which of the following also is not a renewable source of energy? (Points : 5)
Windmill turbines
Hydroelectric power
Tidal flow generators
Biomass waste systems
Solar cells

8. (TCOs 3, 4) Kant said that the only thing "good without qualification" is what? (Points : 5)
The best interests of all concerned
Acts of mercy
The amount of happiness produced
Personal virtues
A good will

9. (TCOs 1, 2, 4, 6) John Stuart Mill's theory of Utilitarianism is the most common form of ethics in use today. It is used so commonly because it belongs to which of the Primary Schools of Ethics? (Points : 5)
Care-based
Ends-based
Economy-based
Law-based
Efficiency-based

10. (TCOs 1, 5) Syllogisms in formal deductive logic are called "valid" when: (Points : 5)
the correct form of the syllogism style is used.
the premise statements are true.
the syllogism is first determined to be "sound."
the verbs are written in present tense.
the conclusion proceeds from the premises.

11. (TCOs 3, 5, 9) When choosing one course of action while working with a dilemma, the other courses of action are lost and become unavailable. This makes ethical choices in dilemma situations particularly what? (Points : 5)
Incoherent
Complicated
Illogical
Painful
Cruel

12. (TCOs 2, 3) Where did Thomas Aquinas say that conscience originates? (Points : 5)
Through the hard work of reasoning
Direct gift from God in all cultures through natural law
An a priori source
By observing the objects and actions of the world
An empirical response of guilt for past actions

13. (TCOs 5, 6) The single criterion for making decisions in utilitarian ethics is what? (Points : 5)
The experience of pleasure
Accounting for unintended consequences
Fiduciary interests to be honored
The amount of happiness produced
The principle to be honored

14. (TCO 2) The Social Contract theorist whose troubled childhood was most clearly reflected in his theories was who? (Points : 5)
Thomas Aquinas
Thomas Jefferson
Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Thomas Hobbes
John Locke

15. (TCOs 1, 2, 4, 6) "Act only according to that maxim..." begins what famous formulation of deontological ethics? (Points : 5)
The Nicomachean Ethics
The Social Contract
The Principle of Utility
The Hypocratic Oath
The Categorical Imperative

16. (TCOs 4, 6) Personal development and discovery through the repetition of good acts and study of virtue characterizes what ethicist? (Points : 5)
Plato
Aristotle
Luther
Augustine
Socrates

17. (TCO 7) Professional codes of conduct serve what function for business and industry? (Points : 5)
Allow businesses to avoid training professional staffers
Enable transfer of valued employees across state lines
Enable contracting of temporary employees
Specify continuing education needs and requirements
Providing assurance of the professional qualifications of members

18. (TCO 2) Aristotle's Ethical Doctrine of the Mean measured personal virtues on a scale that included the virtue itself, the excess of it, and the deficiency of it.

If the virtue is GENEROSITY, and the excess is WASTEFULNESS, what is the deficiency?
(Points : 5)
Carefulness
There is no deficiency
Being broke (having no money)
Stinginess
Moderation

19. (TCO 7) The Ethical Resolution Models practiced during Week 6 provide people in conflict with greater opportunity to consider the consequences of their actions. What type of ethics is this? (Points : 5)
Deontological
Care-based
Social Contract
Aristotelian
Utilitarian

20. (TCOs 4, 6) The Latin term a priori describes the origin of knowledge developed rationally, and the term a posteriori describes knowledge developed through observation and experience. What is an example of ethics is best described as discovered in an a postiori manner? (Points : 5)
Social ethics
Care-based ethics
Consequentialist ethics
Theological ethics
Operational ethics
Category: Homework
Expert:  Eric M. replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Eric M., Tutor
Experience: 9 years of tutoring experience, Bachelor's and Master's in Computing, pursuing PhD