Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience:  Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)
22285537

When an interest group feels threatened by a government

Question 5
When an interest group feels threatened by a government action, a likely response by government would be to outlaw campaign contributions from that interest group.
pass further legislation restricting interest group access to government bureaucrats.
preserve or expand agencies that serve the interest group.
cut programs.
defend its actions in court.

Question 12
Some scholars argue that the power of the president's bargaining skills have been overestimated at the expense of the recognition of
the importance of his relationship to Congress.
the role of the First Lady.
his formal powers.
the importance of his relationship to the Supreme Court.
the importance of his relationship to his executive staff.

Question 18
The reason most people are not chosen as judicial nominees is because of their
judicial voting record.
conduct while an attorney.
party affiliation.
judicial ethics.
answers on the judicial questionnaire

Question 21
A once-solid congressional norm that has just about vanished during the last few decades is
seniority.
apprenticeship.
bargaining.
courtesy.
Reciprocity

Question 29
The rational-comprehensive model of policymaking is unrealistic because
it is difficult for policymakers to define precise values and goals.
the policy selected cannot always be the most effective means to the goal.
comprehensive investigations to all solutions to any specific problem would be too time consuming.
all of these are true.
none of these are true.

Question 30
The good faith exception allows
the state to introduce evidence at trial if that evidence was seized on the basis of a mistakenly issued search warrant.
the state to exempt a person from punishment for a crime if that person did not understand that their action was criminal.
individuals to publish any material they wish, as long as they believe that material to be factually correct.
people to be excused from jury duty if they can demonstrate that they have given their best effort in performing other civic duties.
a mistake in securing evidence to be considered neutrally by a jury.

Question 34
In the last decade of the 20th century, when decisions involved conflicts between the values of personal freedom and social order, the Supreme Court tended to
become more committed to personal freedom.
refuse to take a clear stand.
side with social order.
carefully balance personal freedom and social order, showing no preference.
leave decisions to legislative bodies

Question 39
If a student is caught by the police speeding on the way to class and the student's excuse for speeding is that he didn't want to be late for a test, when that student appears in court to contest the ticket, the student hopes the judge will accept the excuse and waive the ticket. What type of judge would the student have to draw to have a chance at the ticket being waived?
Retrained
Conservative
Activist
Protagonist
A judicial specialist

Question 41
Which of the following best describes what was generally the difference between Democratic vice presidents and Republican vice presidents in the last half of the 20th century? Democratic vice presidents have had a greater role as policy leaders and advisers.
Republican vice presidents have had a greater role as policy leaders and advisers.
The role of the vice president has been declining for both parties. The role of the vice president has been expanded equally by both parties.
Republican vice presidents typically became presidents while Democratic vice presidents did not.

Question 43
What act held agencies accountable for their performance?
The Government Performance and Results Act
The Agency Accountability Reform Act
The Agency Review Act
The Government Analysis Reform Act
The Bureaucratic Control Act

Question 44
If the Environmental Protection Agency formulates new regulations specifying procedures for disposal of toxic wastes,
the regulations have the effect of law.
federal courts must review the regulations before they take effect. the president and Congress must approve the regulations before they take effect.
the regulations are advisory only.
entities affected may often ignore the new regulations with little or no penalty.

Question 45
Government regulation of business grew in response to the realization that?
laissez-faire approaches did not always result in competitive markets.
business cannot be trusted to seek profits. members of the public deserve a say in everything that affects them.
American competitiveness requires a government role in business. government study of business practices will increase government efficiency.

Question 46
As the U.S. Supreme Court has headed in a more conservative direction, the New Jersey supreme court and those in some other states
have refused to allow their decisions to be appealed to the Supreme Court.
have tended to become more liberal than the Supreme Court.
have tended to become even more conservative than the Supreme Court.
appealed to President Clinton for the appointment of a more liberal chief justice.
have followed their direction.

Question 48
In reaching their decisions, state supreme courts can rely on the
U.S. Constitution and the constitution of their state.
state constitution only.
legal guidance given by their state legislature.
U.S. Constitution only.
U.S. Supreme Court opinions.

Question 49
An agency targeted for elimination by Congress will most likely not be eliminated due to
the dependence by citizens on the services provided by the agency and the political ramifications of that action.
the complexity of re-assigning agency duties to other agencies.
the desire by congressmen to have their reputation associated with a particular government program.
constitutional protections afforded government agencies.
the fact that an elimination takes no less than five years to complete

Question 51
In defense of their position, gun control advocates argue that the Second Amendment's "right to bear arms" relates only to
state militias.
individual homeowner's rights to protect their home.
Congress' discretionary authority to regulate handguns.
the right of law enforcement to prohibit felons from owning handguns.
the federal government's right to create a large federal military force.

Question 60
The pluralist model of democracy is expressed in the judicial process through
election campaigns.
class action suits.
direct lobbying of judges.
the impeachment process.
interest group intervention.

Question 61
The rules that govern floor debate in the House of Representatives
must be agreed upon by all the members.
are a tool the majority party uses to help it control the legislative process.
are neutral and assure a fair hearing for all sides.
encourage the development of partisan hostilities.
often result in deadlocked legislation the leadership must negotiate.

Question 65
Cabinet departments and independent agencies are created by
the president.
a joint presidential-congressional committee.
Congress.
the states.
the constitution.

Question 66
The president's two top advisors are usually
the Secretary of the Interior and the director of the OMB.
The Secretaries of Defense and Treasury.
his social services advisor and the chair of the Council of Economic Advisors.
the leaders of his party in both houses of Congress.
his chief of staff and his national security advisor. 

Category: Homework
Expert:  Chris M. replied 2 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience: Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)