Mr. Gregory White
Mr. Gregory White, Professor
Experience:  M.A., M.S. Education / Educational Administration

Why do we always have to start with q^2 for Hardy-Weinberg

Why do we always have to start with q^2 for Hardy-Weinberg?
Category: Homework
Expert:  Mr. Gregory White replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name isXXXXX will do whatever I can to answer your questions.

Don't Forget the deposit you placed to ask this question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service! Please Remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not this website itself.
This equation is used to look at genetics in biology. The p stands for the probability of having the "A" allelle (the dominant gene) while the q stands for the probability of having the "a" allelle (the recessive gene).

To answer your specific question, there are three possibilities of the genes that can be passed, the AA (which would be shown as p*p or p^2 in our equation), the Aa (which is shown by the p*q in the middle of the equation) and the aa (which is shown by the q*q or q^2 at the end of the equation).

CLICK HERE for another resource that you can use to further explain the entire equation.

All the best in your studies. Feel free to request me anytime for your homework needs. Just put "For TeacherGreg" at the front of your post so it is directed to me.

Have a wonderful rest of the week.

:-)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Greg,

Another question. Have the p and q's answers ever come out the same?

I know that the P=dominant-long term and Q=recessive-short term disease/traits.

Please let me know ASAP!

Thanks.

Rose

Expert:  replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Mr. Gregory White, Professor
Experience: M.A., M.S. Education / Educational Administration
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. I appreciate it.

Rose

No problem Rose.

Be sure to rate if satisfied and feel free to request me anytime. I am available everyday.

You can even bookmark my weblink at www.GregPearl.com to reach me quickly - just put "For TeacherGreg" at the front of the post.

Have a wonderful rest of the week!

:-)