Mr. Gregory White
Mr. Gregory White, Professor
Experience:  M.A., M.S. Education / Educational Administration

I Need Answer For Penn Foster Residential Electrician Exam

I Need Answer For Penn Foster Residential Electrician Exam # XXXXX
Category: Homework
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm a Moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I Need Answer For Penn Foster Residential Electrician Exam # XXXXX if you can help me for find out answer

Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a Professional for you.
Expert:  Mr. Gregory White replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name isXXXXX will do whatever I can to answer your questions.

Don't Forget the deposit you placed to ask this question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service! Please Remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not this website itself.
I may be able to help on this but this is one that is not seen very often. They change the order of these tests regularly so it is not possible to really give an A, B, C answer key.

Can you post the questions here or upload the document using mediafire.com or wikisend.com and sharing the link here with me so I can take a look and see if I have the needed resources in my materials.

Also, what is the timeline to get returned to you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi

here below is my question

1. A device box will house three No. 16/3 cables (each cable contains three insulated No. 16 conductors and one bare ground conductor), one switch, three cable clamps, and a grounding wire. No conductors run through the box without splices. Technician A wants to use a 4 × 21/8 inch round outlet box, while Technician B says that a 411/16 × 11/4 inch square outlet box should be used. Which technician is correct if your goal is to install the minimum size outlet box allowed by the NEC?

A. Technician A
B. Technician B
C. Both Technician A and Technician B
D. Neither Technician A nor Technician B

FIGURE A-1—Use this illustration to answer Questions
2 and 3.

2. The loads in Figure A-1 are supplied by circuits on opposite legs of the service-entrance panel. If each load draws 30 amps, what is the current flow in the neutral wire?

A. 0 amps
B. 15 amps
C. 30 amps
D. 60 amps

3. If Load 1 in Figure A-1 is drawing 45 amps and Load 2 is drawing 20 amps, how much current is carried in the neutral wire?

A. 0 amps
B. 20 amps
C. 25 amps
D. 45 amps

FIGURE A-2—Use this illustration to answer Questions 4, 5, 6, and 7.

4. Look at the circuit illustrated in Figure A-2. Assume that the values of R1 and R2 are equal. If you connect your meter's test probes to points A and B in the circuit, which of the following voltages would you measure?

A. 9 V
B. 6 V
C. 3 V
D. 0 V

5. In the circuit shown in Figure A-2, where would you connect your meter's test probes to measure the full battery voltage?

A. To points D and E, or to points B and E
B. To points A and C only
C. To points D and E, or to points A and C
D. To points B and E only

6. In the circuit shown in Figure A-2, suppose that the value of R1 is 100 kΩ and the value of R2 is 470 kΩ. At which of the following locations in the circuit would you measure the highest voltage with your meter?

A. Between points A and C
B. Between points A and B
C. Between points B and C
D. Between points B and E

7. In the circuit shown in Figure A-2, suppose that the value of R1 is 500 kΩ. In order to obtain a multimeter reading of 1 V between points B and C in the circuit, the value of R2 would have to be

A. 10 kΩ.
B. 100 kΩ.
C. 1,000 kΩ.
D. 10,000 kΩ.

8. If an appliance is said to be continuously operating, this means the electrician should

A. consider the appliance to be permanently fixed and provide it with a suitable means of disconnection.
B. supply the appliance with a circuit sized so that 80 percent of the full-circuit capacity is greater than or equal to the appliance's current draw.
C. decrease the wire diameter to account for the additional resistance required.
D. always power the appliance with a pigtail-plug combination and never hardwire the appliance to a device box.

9. You're adding a new receptacle to an existing branch circuit and you find that the existing circuit contains aluminum conductors. The receptacle you're taking the power from is at the end of a run and is marked with the indication CU/AL. You want to route a copper cable from the existing device box to the new device box. You should replace the

A. end-of-the-run receptacle with one that's approved specifically for through wiring with copper.
B. receptacle with one labeled FOR ALUMINUM ONLY, connect short lengths of aluminum wire to the ends of the copper cable, and install the exiting and new aluminum wires to the receptacle.
C. existing receptacle with any new conventional receptacle, then attach the copper and aluminum conductors to any of the receptacle's screw and pressure terminals.
D. existing receptacle with one labeled CU/ALR, attach the aluminum conductors to the receptacle's screw terminals and insert the copper conductors into the pressure terminals.

10. Technician A says that troubleshooting parallel circuits is done by isolating a circuit component before measuring its resistance. Technician B says that measuring voltage in a series circuits is done by disconnecting each individual circuit component and testing it by itself. Which technician is correct?

A. Technician A
B. Technician B
C. Both Technician A and Technician B

FIGURE A-3—Use this illustration to answer Questions 11 and 12.

11. There are many types of electrical switches available. Which of the switches in Figure A-3 has two positions and can open or close a circuit through two wires at a time?

A. Switch A
B. Switch B
C. Switch C
D. Switch D

12. Technician A and Technician B don't agree on the type of switches needed to operate a ceiling light from two points in a room. Technician A says that you need to use two switches like the one shown in Figure A-3D. Technician B says that you need to use two switches like the one shown in Figure A-3B. Which technician is correct?

A. Technician A
B. Technician B
C. Both Technician A and Technician B

13. In order to directly measure _______ with a multimeter, you must break open the circuit and connect the meter's test leads in series with the other circuit components.

A. current
B. resistance
C. power
D. voltage

14. Suppose you have five lights in a large room that are all working and you need to find out if the lights are wired in a series or a parallel circuit. Which of the following experiments and results will allow you to determine how the room was wired?

A. All five light bulbs are 75 watt bulbs, you replace one of these bulbs with a 25 watt bulb and notice that it's burning brighter than it should be while the others have dimmed. You conclude that the circuit is in parallel.
B. With all of the lights illuminated, you remove one lamp and all of the others remain lit. You conclude that the circuit is in series.
C. With all of the lights illuminated, you remove one lamp and all of the others go out. You conclude that the circuit is in series.
D. With all of the lights illuminated, you remove one lamp and all of the others go out. You conclude that the circuit is in parallel.

15. If a large appliance utilizes both 120 and 240 volts, power must be supplied to it's dedicated receptacle with

A. two-conductor cable with the ends of the white conductor painted black.
B. two-conductor cable with an insulated ground wire.
C. three-conductor cable with a ground wire.
D. any six-foot long pigtail.

FIGURE A-2—Use this illustration to answer Questions 16, 17, 18, 19, and 20.

16. Look at the circuit shown in Figure A-4. The circuit contains a 6 V battery and three resistors. Four meters are being used to make measurements in the circuit. Meters M1, M2, and M3 are being used to measure current at different points in the circuit. Meter M4 is being used to measure voltage at another point in the circuit. With S1 closed, M1 has a current reading of 0.04A. What will be the total resistance in this circuit?

A. 50 Ω
B. 100 Ω
C. 150 Ω
D. 300 Ω

17. With switch S1 closed, meter M4 reads 4 V across R3. What voltages would the meter read across R1 and R2?

A. The meter would read 2 V across R1 and 2 V across R2.
B. The meter would read 1 V across both R1 and R2.
C. The meter would read 4 V across R1 and 4 V across R2.
D. The meter would read 4 V across both R1 and R2.

18. With switch S1 closed and the resistance value of R1 and R2 equal, meter M1 has a current reading of 0.04 A. What will be the current readings on meter M2 and meter M3?

A. Meter M2 and meter M3 will both read 0.01 A.
B. Meter M2 will read 0.02 A, and meter M3 will read 0.04 A.
C. Meter M2 and meter M3 will both read 0.04 A.
D. Meter M2 will read 0.02 A, and meter M3 will read 0.02 A.

19. In the circuit shown in Figure A-4, suppose that meter M3 displays a higher current reading than it should. Which of the following could be the cause of this condition?

A. Resistor R1 is shorted.
B. Resistor R3 is open.
C. Resistor R2 is shorted.
D. Switch S1 is open.

20. With S1 closed and M1 reading 0.04 A, what will be the total power dissipated in the circuit shown in Figure A-4?

A. 0.24 W
B. 1.5 W
C. 24 W
D. 150 W

Thanks for posting - will work on these this evening for you and have back either late this evening or by early tomorrow if I have this resource on file. If not, I will let you know soon.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks

Expert:  replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Mr. Gregory White, Professor
Experience: M.A., M.S. Education / Educational Administration