David L.
David L., Engineer
Experience:  20 years experience writing white papers, tech publications
13852270

Subnetting Project. You are a consultant for being brought

Customer Question

Subnetting Project. You are a consultant for being brought in by XUC to assist with a merger with another company. Background: XUC is has the WAN links in place to the new locations in the Houston Region. XUMUC currently has 2 other Regions San Francisco and Denver. Originally, XUMUC was only in one region (San Francisco). The previous consultant did a poor job with the integration resulting in a poor IP address scheme as a result routing tables at the summarization points and at the San Francisco Campus are very large. In addition, no VLAN structure was developed to isolate broadcast traffic. There are 4 main departments in XUMC: sales, finance, human resources, and research and development. Also, there has been some concern that the WAN transport was not able to accommodate the network traffic. Finally, all addresses in the network are statically assigned resulting in high administration overhead when changes are needed XUMC would like this changed to lower administrative overhead. IP ADDRESSING TABLE Location Number of IP Addresses Required Address Block Assigned San Francisco 1290 172.16.0.0-172.16.7.255/21 Denver Region Denver Campus 441 Remote Office 1 28 Remote Office 2 35 Houston Region Houston Campus 329 Remote Office 3 21 Deliverables: Provide a document that addresses all issues described above. The document should be written in APA format and contain: • Cover page • Index Page • Executive summary o One page,  a brief statement of the problem (covered in the paper)  background information  concise analysis and main conclusions • Technical details (including any assumptions) o Details that address all issues described above o Completed IP addressing table (including summarized routes for the Denver and Houston regions), o Updated network diagram and a conclusion. o business impact • Conclusion • Reference page XMUMC Network Diagram

Read more: This question was answered 11 days ago by Syseng under the - JustAnswer http://www.justanswer.com/computer-networking/6wogx-question-answered-11-days-ago-syseng.html#ixzz2E9F3d3Kf
Category: Homework
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I'm a Moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Expert:  David L. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for requesting me. Please click the link below to download the report:

click here

Thanks,

David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

David, Wow, thank you. However, I jumped the gun a bit. Our question is slightly different. (less individs in SF). Not a problem to re-issue funds again. You did an excellent job. I just ran out of time and needed the breakdown this time around. See below for question. Thanks. Please let me know what I need to do next.

______

XUMC is has the WAN links in place to the new locations in the Houston Region. XMUC currently has 2 other Regions San Francisco and Denver. Originally, XMUC was only in one region (San Francisco). The previous consultant did a poor job with the integration resulting in a poor IP address scheme as a result routing tables at the summarization points and at the San Francisco Campus are very large. In addition, no VLAN structure was developed to isolate broadcast traffic. There are 4 main departments in XUMC: sales, finance, human resources, and research and development. Also, there has been some concern that the WAN transport was not able to accommodate the network traffic. Finally, all addresses in the network are statically assigned resulting in high administration overhead when changes are needed XUMC would like this changed to lower administrative overhead.

Location

Number of IP Addresses Required

San Francisco

1290

Denver Region

Denver Campus

441

Remote Office 1

28

Remote Office 2

35

Houston Region

Houston Campus

329

Remote Office 3

21

Deliverables:

Provide a document that addresses all issues described above.

The document should contain:

• Cover page

• Index Page

• Executive summary

• Technical details (including any assumptions)

• Details that address all issues described above

• Completed IP addressing table (including summarized routes for the Denver and Houston regions),

• Updated network diagram and a conclusion.

• Conclusion

• Reference page

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
My initial question had some inacurrate information. David did an excellent job, btw! Here is the correct question.
Location Number of IP Addresses Required
San Francisco 1290
Denver Region
Denver Campus 441
Remote Office 1 28
Remote Office 2 35
Houston Region
Houston Campus 329
Remote Office 3 21
Deliverables:
The document should contain:
• Cover page
• Index Page
• Executive summary
o Details that address all issues described above
o Completed IP addressing table (including summarized routes for the Denver and Houston regions),
o Updated network diagram and a conclusion.
• Conclusion
• Reference page

Expert:  David L. replied 2 years ago.

I will modify the document and repost it shortly.

Thanks.
Expert:  David L. replied 2 years ago.

Please review the revised document at the link below:

click here

Note that each region has more IP addresses allocated than hosts present in the location. The reason for this is to facilitate the route summarization requirement using the third octet. The additional IP addresses also provide for growth within each region.

Thanks,

David.
David L., Engineer
Experience: 20 years experience writing white papers, tech publications
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

tks Dave. I'm good with MS, jes took the run on CCNA routers information. Embarrasing to ask for help, yes. I'll review all. Again, thank you. -btw- how do you get a $$ tip? v/r, Marc

Expert:  David L. replied 2 years ago.
Ok, just let me know if you have more questions about the report.

Regarding the tip, once you select a positive rating there is a bonus that you can enter that is essentially a tip.

Thanks,

David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

David, I understand the IP breakout and summarization scheme. Thanks. however, this class is more routers. I'm not sure what the IP's would be for the site routers utilizing /30 while part of the subnet? You provided:

San Francisco 172.16.0.0 – 172.16.7.255/27 64 30 1920

Denver 172.16.8.0 – 172.16.11.255/27 32 30 960

Houston 172.16.12.0 – 172.16.13.255/27 16 30 480

Then, in order to decrease the size of the network routing tables, the following route summarization will be used with OSPF:

Route to San Francisco 172.16.0.0 255.255.192.0

Route to Denver 172.16.16.8.0 255.255.224.0

Route to Houston 172.16.12.0 255.255.240.0

The subnet range for each site location includes an overage of IP addresses for immediate and future network expansion. (Cisco, 2012) All remote offices will be assigned subnets from within the subnet and IP address ranges assigned to the major campus and region with which they are associated and to which they connect.

idea? tks.

Expert:  David L. replied 2 years ago.

There is supposed to be a 172.16.14.0 - 255 range reserved for WAN administration. So the IP address ranges should be:

Houston to San Fran - 172.16.14.0-3/30, using 172.16.14.1 and 2 for router WAN interfaces.

Denver to San Fran - 172.16.14.4-7/30, using 172.16.14.5 and 6 for router WAN interfaces.

Denver Remote Office 1 - 172.16.14.8-11/30, using 172.16.14.9 and 10 for router WAN interfaces.

Denver Remote Office 2 - 172.16.14.12-15/30, using 172.16.14.13 and 14 for router WAN interfaces.

Houston Remote Office 1 - 172.16.14.16-19/30, using 172.16.14.17 and 18 for router WAN interfaces.

Please let me know if that makes sense or if you need further information.

Thanks.

David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes, thank you. One other ques and I'll leave you alone. -Summarization routes- you stated:

(1) Route to San Francisco 172.16.0.0 255.255.192.0

(2) Route to Denver 172.16.16.8.0 255.255.224.0

(3) Route to Houston 172.16.12.0 255.255.240.0

Ques: Route to SF is the route summarization I would place at the SF router? Likewise, for route to Denver (placed at Denver router. And then, route to Houston, placed at the Houston router summarization point? Thanks Dave for the assist.

Expert:  David L. replied 2 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.