Homework Questions? Ask a Tutor for Answers ASAP
Not a Homework Question?
How JustAnswer Works:
Ask an Expert
Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
Get a Professional Answer
Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
Ask follow up questions if you need to.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris M. Your Own Question
M.S.W. Social Work
Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)
Type Your Homework Question Here...
Chris M. is online now
Thanks for all your help....... 1. It may be said that great
This answer was rated:
Thanks for all your help.......
1. It may be said that great literature embraces ambiguity because
A. it reflects the uncertainty we face in real-life decisions.
B. little insight is offered into the character or qualities of an antagonist.
C. it allows us to interpret a plot in at least two ways.
D. we seldom have clues to the motivations of the protagonist.
2. Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet is an example of
A. an old-fashioned novel.
B. interpretative literature.
C. escapist literature.
D. a perfect short story.
3. It's most accurate to say that interpretative literature
A. is intended to meet the reader's expectations.
B. weaves exciting action around a standard formula.
C. contains or suggests universal truths.
D. refers to today's hot topics.
4. The most basic purpose of reading is
A. getting information.
B. providing entertainment.
D. acquiring insight.
5. The connotative meaning of a word refers to
A. its dictionary definition.
B. the irony suggested by the word.
C. its meaning at a specific time in history.
D. what it suggests about something.
6. Which one of the following events is an example of situational irony?
A. Warren is disappointed that Bernice cuts her hair.
B. Bernice overhears Marjorie talking with her mother.
C. Bernice cuts her hair and suddenly realizes what a mistake it is.
D. Marjorie teaches Bernice how to be more socially accepted.
7. Great literature is educational because it
A. won't challenge your beliefs.
B. helps you draw on ideas you already have.
C. allows you to simply observe and analyze.
D. teaches rather than entertains.
8. Which one of the following events in "Bernice Bobs Her Hair" is an example of an epiphany?
A. Warren begins to come to visit Bernice.
B. Marjorie dares Bernice to get her hair bobbed.
C. G. Reece Stoddard cuts in on Bernice's dance partner.
D. Bernice suddenly understands how others see her.
9. An author of a detective novel is most likely to use figurative language to
A. help the reader visualize a character.
B. mislead the reader.
C. suggest hidden meanings.
D. entertain the reader.
10. What are conventions?
A. The difficulties a writer encounters in creating characters
B. The conflicts between the protagonist and the antagonist
C. The events that lead to the climax of a novel
D. The traditions and rules that lead to a reader's expectations
11. The most significant conflict in "Bernice Bobs Her Hair" is between
A. Warren and Marjorie.
B. Bernice and Marjorie.
C. Bernice and herself.
D. Marjorie and men in general.
12. In "A White Heron," how does Sarah Jewett portray Sylvia's attitude about money?
A. Sylvia struggles between protecting the heron and gaining the money.
B. Sylvia was once rich and has now fallen on hard times.
C. Sylvia doesn't really care about money at all.
D. Sylvia hopes the hunter will give her some money no matter what she does.
13. Which of the words printed in italics in the following sentences is most likely to convey a denotative
A. The recipe calls for one pint of cream.B. What time did he call?
C. Do you know what the owl signifies?
D. Deliver the goods soon, or else.
14. What is Sarah Jewett suggesting when she writes about Sylvia's increasing attraction to the hunter in "A
A. Sylvia cares more about people than animals.
B. Sylvia is experiencing falling in love.
C. Sylvia does one thing but believes the opposite.
D. Sylvia will do anything for money.
15. The term realism refers to
A. describing things just as they are.
B. allowing the reader to draw his or her own conclusions.
C. using as much descriptive language as possible.
D. making things better than they actually are.
16. In F. Scott Fitzgerald's story "Bernice Bobs Her Hair," we are very likely to
A. see Marjorie's personality as shallow.
B. think of both Marjorie and Bernice as painfully naïve.
C. decide that Bernice will never escape her dependent nature.
D. realize that Marjorie is sensitive to Bernice's feelings.
17. Interpretative literature is said to be interactive because
A. you can read most of these works on the Internet now.
B. the reader has to take part in discovering the meaning of the work.
C. the conflict shows the interaction between two elements of the story.
D. the story consists of a rising action and a falling action.
18. Which one of the following terms best describes the period of the 1920s?
19. The events that take place in a story make up the story's
20. Which one of the following types of writing would most likely be fiction?
C. Informational literature
Share this conversation
replied 4 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You need to spend $3 to view this post.
to your account and buy credits.
Chris M. and 5 other Homework Specialists are ready to help you
Ask your own question now
Share this conversation
Related Homework Questions
I wrote the following statements for my assignment in MySQL:
I have 2 homework that I need you to help, this is the 1st
6. The hexadecimal equivalent of decimal 1234 is A. 2D4..
I have a column that divides j/s. This sometimes results in
Translate the sentence below into English. Pienso que nunca
I need help with my pre-exam for Penn high school this is
Wiz of All
NOT GLENN NOR F. NAZ PLEASE In the story titled "Macbeth" by
Exam Number: 986159RR
Need help with a couple assignment questions
FOR LogicPro Only, I have another database question. Its a
Ask a Tutor
Get a Professional Answer. 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed.
40 Tutors are Online Now
Type Your Homework Question Here...
Terms of Service
Privacy & Security
© 2003-2017 JustAnswer LLC