Owen
Owen, Attending Physician
Experience:  I teach medical students and residents with title of Asst. Professor
18703594

How do HIPAA and HITECH federal mandates affect health care

How do HIPAA and HITECH federal mandates affect health care information systems?
Category: Homework
Expert:  Owen replied 2 years ago.

Owen :

Hello again

Owen :

How are you looking at this

Customer:

how means?

Owen :

and are you asking what the Federal government requires such as PII - Personal Identifiable Information?

Customer:

what question is this about

Owen :

I meant 'What are you looking for' - my brain thinks faster than I write.... sorry

Customer:

i have 2 out there:-

Customer:

Owen :

the other question you asked under medical and I can't get to that

Customer:

What are some potential threats to patient data security from within an organization? Which do you believe is the biggest threat? Why?

Owen :

you have to ask it in Homework

Owen :

I can do that question for $30 dollars plus a bonus.

Customer:

oh man which one i have to ask in the homework and which one you going to do for additional 30/-

Owen :

do you want me to do this question: What are some potential threats to patient data security from within an organization? Which do you believe is the biggest threat? Why?

Owen :

or this one: How do HIPAA and HITECH federal mandates affect health care information systems?

Customer:

any one please...

Owen :

okay - do you agree on the $30 plus bonus?

Customer:

and let me know which one you going to so that i can leave the other one opne for other if you can not get to that.

Owen :

Customer:

promise and 400 words please.

Customer:

okay

Owen :

okay - give about 30 to 60 minutes - I'll get it to you..

Customer:

perfect.

Owen :

Hello

Owen :

Here are the first TWO paragraphs and I have a total of 4 paragraphs for you.

Owen :

There are many potential threats to patient data from within an organization because people are actually the most vulnerable part of the equation. People might have an interest in finding out a medical diagnosis of a patient that is none of their business such as a patient having HIV which is a diagnoses that is tightly controlled. Plus, patient medical records contain other sensitive information such as birth dates and Social Security Numbers and Addresses.

Use of Social Security Numbers (SSN’s) and Birth Dates are all that is necessary when someone is applying for credit such as a credit card or for credit when even purchasing big ticket items such as a car, hence these are threats that are real as there are always going to be unscrupulous people working an any company, including hospitals and hence sometimes people will need to use this information to sell and hence this is a potential and a very real threat as this has happened numerous times in many health care systems such as civilian hospitals, military health care systems and the Veterans Administration.

Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT and a bonus of $30 as agreed

Owen :

thank you

Customer:

doing so now

Owen, Attending Physician
Experience: I teach medical students and residents with title of Asst. Professor
Expert:  Owen replied 2 years ago.

There are many potential threats to patient data from within an organization because people are actually the most vulnerable part of the equation.People might have an interest in finding out a medical diagnosis of a patient that is none of their business such as a patient having HIV which is a diagnoses that is tightly controlled.Plus, patient medical records contain other sensitive information such as birth dates and Social Security Numbers and Addresses.

Other potential threats can include can people within the organization charging or billing those who have good health care insurance and billing then the wrong patient and this can then lead to artificial increased costs for the wrong patient and hence the wrong patient being billed for co-payments for services and procedures that were not rendered to the correct patient.Hence when a different patient is billed and that person might not essentially know about this because a bill might not have come in the mail, but the billing company will then cause a negative notation on that person’s credit report, and this occurs all the time.

So, people who are given access to medical records should be thoroughly investigated for any problems such as a history of legal problems, possible history of financial problems and all this should be investigated prior to giving any person access to an EMR – Electronic Health Record.So hence the biggest threat to an EMR is really the people who have access to the super sensitive nature that which an EMR contains because an EMR contains More than just medical information such as diseases that some people do not want others to know, and also information that can affect a persons finances.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Owen, This question is answered under the wrong question, now how can I add the unanswered question for other experts

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Becasue you answered

" What are some potential threats to patient data security from within an organization? Which do you believe is the biggest threat? Why?"

Under the heading of "How do HIPAA and HITECH federal mandates affect health care information systems?"

Expert:  Owen replied 2 years ago.
I had answered that because you asked me too.....
I can answer the orginal question too for an additional fee - is that okay?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes please lets do that as well.

Expert:  Owen replied 2 years ago.
okay - give some time....
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

okay, cool.

Expert:  Owen replied 2 years ago.

PLease click on EXCELLENT again for this answer and also add a bonus as agreed.

Thank you

These laws and mandates are specific only to the point that Patient Information must be protected but they do not really offer specifics as to ‘how’ patient information must be protected. In addition, HIPAA and Hitech are now essentially requiring all hospitals and doctor’s offices to use EMR’s – Electronic Medical Records vice using just Paper records. There are many benefits to using an EMR vice using paper as we have information readily available world wide instanteously, but this can come at a cost where we can not ‘contain’ information as easily since much of the EMR’s are available through systems that are readily available on the internet.

So, at first patient information must be protect and protecting this information comes at a cost to everyone and these costs do get passed on to the consumer, or who we call patients. EMR’s are a huge investment for all those who use them as users and as end-users (the patients), but the convenience of using them can help of all in the long term benefit. So, for example when a patient checks into an Emergency room and that patient is unable to converse and give us any information, we can essentially look up that patients past medical records such as doctor notes, laboratory values, radiology records and this can help with the ultimate diagnosis and treatment of a patient. But, again, using this information in an emergency setting needs to be protected and careful because computers need to be protected and not open and visible for all to see when patient ‘screens’ are open, so doctor note taking areas should be in secure areas where only care providers have access.

The HiTech / HIPAA also does help in the long run with actually providing security – because emails, and FAX’s are less reliant and hence sensitive patient data is not open for all to see. Just a few years ago, we use to FAX paper records for patients to the hospital, or to other doctor’s and now with electronic medical records, these can be send securely to the intended recipient, and this has been part of the increased security that we are seeing across all EMR’s.

The cost of this HITECH does come at a price. The cost to institute these EMR’s can cost Thousands of dollars in a medical practice to Millions of dollars in a hospital. Plus, you have to take into consider the training involved in getting doctors, nurses and other providers so these systems can be used accurately and efficiently so mistakes are not made and forever permanently recorded in the medical record. So, for example to start an EMR from scratch in a 400 bed hospital can cost $10 million and keeping the system running with updates, new computers, etc can cost an additional $5 million per year so while there are very good benefits which increase patient safety, and increased efficacy to patient diagnosis, it does cost money and hence this increases the cost of medicine.

Owen, Attending Physician
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can i add 20 or 25, this time?

Expert:  Owen replied 2 years ago.
yes - please and so click on EXCELLENT and then add the bonus - thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Okay done. thank you so much. appreciate your prompt response and help .

Expert:  Owen replied 2 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.