Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience:  Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)
22285537

Theory and Research in Child Development

1. In a study examining preschoolers’ responses to their peers’ distress, researchers used _______ to record each instance in which a child cried, followed by other children’s reactions. A. time sampling B. systematic collection C. event sampling D. structured observation 2. According to Erikson, children learn how to cooperate with others during the _______ stage. A. basic trust versus mistrust B. autonomy versus shame and doubt C. initiative versus guilt D. industry versus inferiority 3. Dr. Muse, a sociocultural theorist, speculates that children’s ability to reminisce about the past can be promoted through adult teaching. This is an example of a A. theory. C. hypothesis. B. research question. D. research method. 4. A criticism of the information-processing approach is that it A. doesn’t form a comprehensive theory. B. lacks scientific research. C. focuses on creativity and imagination, while ignoring other mental processes. D. views children as blank slates. 5. One way to test for the validity of research methods is to A. compare children’s answers to different halves of the same test. B. test for inter-rater reliability. C. compare children’s answers on different forms of the same measure. D. see how effective the measure is in predicting behavior it would reasonably expect to predict. 6. Which of the following statements about the field of child development is correct? A. It’s devoted to understanding human constancy and change over the lifespan. B. It’s part of a larger, interdisciplinary field known as developmental science. C. It focuses primarily on children’s cognitive and social development. D. It studies infants’ perceptions of the world. 7. During the middle of the twentieth century, North American psychology was dominated by A. evolutionary theory. C. neuroscience. B. cognitive development. D. behaviorism. 8. What is a major limitation of the psychophysiological method? A. Investigators can’t be sure that an infant or child has processed a stimulus in a certain way. B. Most physiological procedures can’t be used on infants and children. C. Most physiological procedures require injection of a radioactive substance. D. The nervous system isn’t sensitive to changes in psychological states. 9. British philosopher John Locke viewed the child as A. tainted by original sin. C. a noble savage. B. a tabula rasa. D. an active, purposeful being. 10. In field experiments, researchers A. formulate conclusions based on extensive field notes. B. use treatment conditions that already exist naturally. C. avoid confounding variables by exposing the same participants to all treatments. D. randomly assign participants to treatment conditions in natural settings. 11. In ecological systems theory, development is A. primarily influenced by the social transmission of knowledge. B. a result of successful imprinting during the early critical period. C. controlled by both environmental circumstances and inner dispositions. D. neither controlled by environmental circumstances nor inner dispositions. 12. A correlation coefficient can range in value from A. +1.00 to –1.00. C. 0 to +1.00. B. –1.00 to 0. D. –100 to +100. 13. According to Freud, the _______ works to reconcile the demands of the _______ and the _______. A. id; ego; superego B. superego; id; ego C. ego; id; superego D. id; conscience; subconscience 14. What is an advantage of a cross-sectional design? A. Researchers need not be concerned about practice effects. B. Validity isn’t threatened by cohort effects. C. The effects of early experience on later development can be examined. D. It’s an efficient strategy for examining individual development. 15. Research on the importance of early experiences for children’s intellectual development played a major role in the founding of A. the Convention on the Rights of the Child. B. the Children’s Defense Fund. C. Project Head Start. D. the National Association for the Education of Young Children. 16. A Piagetian classroom emphasizes A. adult teaching of basic concepts with the use of repeated tests. B. directly rewarding children for the right answers. C. allowing children to independently work through difficult tasks. D. children’s discovery learning and direct contact with the environment. 17. Ethnographic research is aimed at understanding A. the development of cohorts. B. relationships between early experiences and later behavior. C. children’s mastery of a new skill. D. the cultural meanings of behavior. 18. In studies involving children, the _______ should have the final word in deciding whether they should participate. A. children C. therapists B. researchers D. parents 19. Vygotsky’s theory neglected A. cultural influences on cognitive development. B. the importance of language development. C. the biological side of development. D. the changing nature of cognition.

20. Bandura is unique among learning theorists because he

A.

focused on cultural influences on children’s learning.

B.

granted children an active role in their own learning.

C.

emphasized the role of the unconscious on children’s learning.

D.

believed that children’s learning depends on reinforcers.

Category: Homework
Expert:  Chris M. replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience: Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

question 10 is not correct.

Expert:  Chris M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sara,

Please remember to provide a positive rating, so that I get compensated for my time and effort. You scored 95% on the quiz. Is this correct?

Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I would like to know if you can answer to my question that I listed below:

1.

It is helpful to use keywords when searching for ideas related to your subject because doing so

A.

provides exact results.

B.

can lead you to other, more refined topics within your subject.

C.

enables you to avoid plagiarism.

D.

allows you to finish your research after one single search.

2.

Which of the following is not a good technique for learning your way around a library?

A.

Consulting with the librarians.

B.

Wandering around without a purpose the first time you visit

C.

Reviewing the library Web site.

D.

Taking a formal or guided tour of the library.

3.

Which of the following is an example of opinion?

A.

Organic food should be made more affordable.

B.

The Canadian men's hockey team won the gold medal in the 2010 Winter Olympics.

C.

The color blue sometimes signifies sadness or depression.

D.

Abraham Lincoln presented the Gettysburg Address on November 19, 1863.

4.

Which of the following is not a generalization?

A.

Nothing is made in America anymore.

B.

On every college campus athletes get special treatment.

C.

Women mature faster than men.

D.

Soccer is a sport that involves a ball.

5.

Of the following, which system of note-taking would be the most appropriate to use while doing research

for a paper?

A.

Memorizing information for each source

B.

Highlighting all unfamiliar terms within each source

C.

Making a notecard for each source

D.

Copying and pasting source text to use, without citation, within the final paper

6.

What is the difference between a bibliography and an annotated bibliography?

A.

It's easier and faster to complete an annotated bibliography.

B.

An annotated bibliography includes handwritten notes in the margins.

C.

An annotated bibliography doesn't need to be in any special format.

D.

An annotated bibliography includes a brief summary of each source's content and focus.

7.

Why is it helpful to search for a bibliography on a topic?

A.

A bibliography search normally isn't helpful.

B.

Once you complete the basic bibliography search, you're finished finding sources.

C.

A bibliography provides only books you can use as sources.

D.

A bibliography can provide you with a list of various sources on your topic.

8.

Which of the following would require documentation in an academic research paper?

A.

A statement regarding Thomas Jefferson being the third President of the United States

B.

An observation you made while on a field trip to a zoo

C.

A photograph from your family reunion

D.

A map of Brooklyn, NY, found in an atlas

9.

Which of the following is a false statement about an APA References page?

A.

You should italicize titles of books and names of journals.

B.

You should double-space the entire list.

C.

You should put the list on a separate page at the end of your paper.

D.

You should organize the list according to publication date, with the oldest date first.

10.

Which of the following do you not normally need to take into consideration when determining if an

author is biased?

A.

The author's background and its effects on the writing

B.

The tone of the writing

C.

The descriptive and connotative language used in the writing

D.

Your age as a reader

11.

In which of the following situations would paraphrasing be useful and ethical?

A.

You want to use an author's idea but don't wish to quote the author directly.

B.

You don't fully understand what the author is saying.

C.

You wish to make it seem as if the author's ideas are yours.

D.

You want to change the author's meaning.

12.

When skimming a source, one helpful guideline to follow is to

A.

skip the first and last paragraphs.

B.

read the entire source.

C.

pay no attention to any pictures, maps, or charts.

D.

read the first sentence of each paragraph.

13.

Which of the following is a true statement about an MLA Works Cited page?

A.

The Works Cited page should immediately follow the conclusion and be on the same page.

B.

The Works Cited page requires no special formatting.

C.

The Works Cited page should be alphabetized.

D.

The Works Cited page should contain any information you found when completing research.

14.

Why should academic writers use the third-person point of view for a research paper?

A.

This point of view allows you to be more objective in your writing.

B.

When using this point of view, you can easily switch to a different point of view.

C.

This point of view limits your credibility.

D.

This point of view keeps your writing simple.

15.

Prewriting can be helpful when trying to narrow a topic because it

A.

sorts good ideas from bad.

B.

helps you eliminate ideas that would support your thesis.

C.

can usually be submitted as the final essay.

D.

can reveal an idea that may become your thesis.

16.

In the Web address http://www.pennfoster.edu/career-services.html, what is the server name?

A.

.html

B.

www.pennfoster.edu

C.

http:

D.

career-services

17.

Of the following, which is the most important to consider when analyzing and revising an academic

paper?

A.

That the paper contains many large words

B.

That the thesis is clear and that the main points support that thesis

C.

That the paper will be entertaining for the instructor to read

D.

That the opinion is clearly highlighted with emphatic, emotional statements

18.

What can an assumption do to an essay?

A.

An assumption can strengthen a thesis.

B.

An assumption can make an argument more valid.

C.

An assumption can cause an essay to present incorrect information and ideas.

D.

An assumption can give a writer something to base the rest of the essay on.

19.

Which of the following is an example of a secondary source?

A.

A biography of Stephen King

B.

An interview with Stephen King

C.

A novel by Stephen King

D.

Stephen King's letters to his editor

End of exam

20.

Suppose that you're going to interview someone in preparation for writing a research paper on teaching

techniques for macroeconomics. For this topic, who would be the

best person to interview?

A.

A professor of macroeconomics

B.

The president of a university

C.

A student in a macroeconomics course

D.

An economist

Expert:  Chris M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sara,

I just got your reply. I can help you with these questions if you would make a new, separate post of these questions beginning with "For Chris M." Site rules prohibited answering multiple questions in the same thread.

Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I do not understand where exactly should go and write for Chris M. Could you explain exactly where I need to write.

Expert:  Chris M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sara,

You can click here and post your question to my attention.

Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Chris, as you mentioned I clicked on it but I am not able to send the question . I do not know what is the problem. I send my question but they post it to someone else. Could you tell me what should I do?

Expert:  Chris M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sara,

You posted additional questions yesterday (12/25), at the following question page: http://www.justanswer.com/writing-homework/7flv3-1-likely-purpose-essay.html
I could not reply to you there, because the questions were moved to the Writing Homework category (not one of my categories). Also, we are only supposed to answer one question or question set per post. I would appreciate if you would give a positive rating for the question set I did answer for you at the above link. For the other quizzes that you posted, please repost them separately.

Thanks!