getsetgo
getsetgo, MBA
Experience:  MBA from IIM Calcutta, Engineer, 8+ years of exp. at executive level

Conch Republic Electronics is a mid sized electronics manufacturer

Customer Question

Conch Republic Electronics is a mid sized electronics manufacturer located in Key West, Florida. The company president is Shelley Couts, who inherited the company. When it was founded over 70 years ago, the company originally repaired radios and other household appliances. Over the years, the company expanded into manufacturing and is now a reputable manufacturer of various electronic items. Jay McCanless, a recent MBA graduate, has been hired by the company's finance department.

One of the major revenue-producing items manufactured by Conch Republic is a personal digital assistant (PDA). Conch Republic currently has one PDA model on the market, and sales have been excellent. The PDA is a unique item in that it comes in a variety of tropical colors and is preprogrammed to play Jimmy Buffett music. However, as with any electronic item, technology changes rapidly, and the current PDA has limited features in comparison with newer models. Conch Republic spent $750,000 to develop a proto-type for a new PDA that has all the features of the existing one, but adds new features such as cell phone capability. The company has spent a further $200,000 for a marketing study to determine the expected sales figures for the new PDA.
Conch Republic can manufacture the new PDA for $215 each in variable costs. Fixed costs for the operation are estimated to run $4.3 million per year. The estimated sales volume is 65,000, 82,000 108,000 94,000 and 57,000 per year for the next five years, respectively. The unit price of the new PDA will be $500. The necessary equipment can be purchased for $32.5 million and will be depreciated on a seven-year MACRS schedule. It is believed the value of the equipment in five years will be $3.5 million.
Net working capital for the PDAs will be 20 percent of sales and will occur with timing of the cash flows for the year (i.e., there is no initial outlay for NWC). Changes in NWC will thus first occur in Year 1 with the first year’s sales. Conch Republic has a 35 percent corporate tax rate and a 12 percent required return.
Shelly has asked Jay to prepare a report that answers the following questions:

1. What is the payback period on the project?
2. Create a net present value chart in your spreadsheet.
3. What is the IRR of the project?
4. What is the NPV of the project?
5. Perform a sensitivity analysis for the case of the price = $510.
6. Perform a sensitivity analysis whereby the increase unit sold is 100 units per year.
7. Should Conch Republic produce the new PDA?
8. Suppose Conch Republic loses sales on other models because of the introduction of the new model. How would this affect your analysis?

Read more: Conch Republic Electronics is a mid sized electronics manufacturer - JustAnswer http://www.justanswer.com/homework/48iys-conch-republic-electronics-mid-sized-electronics-manufacturer.html#ixzz2AqWAZc5t
Category: Homework
Expert:  getsetgo replied 1 year ago.

getsetgo :

Hello

getsetgo :

Welcome to Just Answer

getsetgo :

I did this question in past

getsetgo, MBA
Experience: MBA from IIM Calcutta, Engineer, 8+ years of exp. at executive level
Expert:  getsetgo replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  getsetgo replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Have one more question.

What is the profitability index of the project?

Expert:  getsetgo replied 1 year ago.

Profitability Index = PV of future cash flows/Initial Investment =1.557

In excel file it is calculated. Please check row-71.

Expert:  getsetgo replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for positive rating and generous bonus. Will love to work with you in future also.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I need the link to be reopened. I could not access the files from my computer, due to some software issue. Was only able to see it from my iPhone. Need links upload to access it from work.

~ Regina

Expert:  getsetgo replied 1 year ago.
enabled. please check.now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

There is one mistake.

You calculated for 1,000 units not 100 units

Expert:  getsetgo replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry for the mistake.
I have updated the excel. Please download updated excel Here

Answer of question-6:

When price is increased to $510, NPV falls from $18,096,790.85 to $16,214,567.

|∆NPV/∆P| =

$18,822.24