Susan Athena
Susan Athena, Professional w/Adv. Degree
Experience:  10+ yrs teaching & tutoring. AP essay grader. 2 masters degrees. English, IT, business.
12809769

The number of students taking the Scholastic Aptitude Test

The number of students taking the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) has risen to an all-time high of more than 1.5 million (College Board, August 26, 2008). Students are allowed to repeat the test in hopes of improving the score that is sent to college and university admission offices. The number of times the SAT was taken and the number of students are as follows.

a. Let x be a random variable indicating the number of times a student takes the SAT. Show the probability distribution for this random variable (to 4 decimals).

x = 1
x = 2
x = 3
x = 4
x = 5

b. What is the probability that a student takes the SAT more than one time (to 4 decimals)?

c. What is the probability that a student takes the SAT three or more times (to 4 decimals)?

d. What is the expected value of the number of times the SAT is taken (to 4 decimals)?

What is your interpretation of the expected value?
The input in the box below will not be graded, but may be reviewed and considered by your instructor.

e. What is the Variance and Standard deviation for the number of times the SAT is taken (to 4 decimals)?

What is the Variance?

What is the Standard deviation?
Hi there,

I can help you with this, but it seems there is some data missing. Can you perhaps scan and upload the original document?

Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I think this is what is missing:

Number of Number of

Times Students

1 721,769

2 601,325

3 166,736

4 22,299

5 6,730

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Sorry, I didn't realize there was a 15 minute deadline. I'll opt out...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Not a problem It just told me you were working on another problem.

Hi. Thanks for your question.

Do you still require an answer? If you have an immediate deadline, please say so in your question.

Thank you!
Susan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

with in the next hour would be great!

Sure, just hold on a minute while I put it together for you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Awesome! Thank you!

THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.
Experience: 10+ yrs teaching & tutoring. AP essay grader. 2 masters degrees. English, IT, business.