Ray Atkinson
Ray Atkinson, Graduate Student
Experience:  Inner-city high school substitute teacher. Degrees in mathemetics, accounting, and education. Years and years of tutoring.

I have an applied physics question. If the same bicycle rider force we

I have an applied physics question. If the same bicycle rider force were applied to the rim of the wheel in the same time frame rather than to a lever point, the gear, would not this force have much greater effect at over coming the bicycles resistance to motion ?

Ray Atkinson :

You are completely correct. Moving the force to the outside edge of the rim increases the length of the moment arm and therefore adds to the work done by a given force. This is the principle behind some chainless bicycles such as the one pictured at this site: