17) Sheila is assertive and uncooperative in dealing with others during conflict. She goes against the wishes of others and uses her authority to gain compliance. Sheila uses which conflict management style?A. competitionB. compromiseC. collaborationD. accommodation
18. Ken is being cooperative but unassertive with his employees during a conflict situation. He tries to smooth over their differences but it only produces a false sense of harmony among them. Ken is using which conflict management style?A. avoidanceB. compromiseC. competitionD. accommodation
19) In the context of motivation, level refers to __________.A. the different needs that an individual is trying to satisfy.B. the amount of effort a person puts forth.C. the length of time a person sticks with a given action.D. the consequences of an individual’s behavior.
20) Content theories attempt to explain work behaviors based on _______________.A. perceptions on-the-job.B. the impact of individual ethics on business decisions.C. the relationship between values and attitudes.D. pathways to need satisfaction and the influence of blocked needs.
21) In the context of motivation, persistence refers to __________.A. an individual’s choice when presented with a number of possible alternatives.B. the amount of effort a person puts forth.C. the length of time a person sticks with a given action.D. the different needs that an individual is trying to satisfy.
22) Even though homogeneous teams may struggle in the short run to resolve issues, they are also likely to develop enhanced performance potential once things are worked out.A. TrueB. False
23) In general, chances for long-term group success are better when the group input foundations – tasks; goals, rewards, and resources; technology; membership diversity; and group size – are stronger.A. TrueB. False
24) Research indicates that diversity among team members rarely creates performance difficulties early in the team’s life or stage of development.A. TrueB. False
25) Eustress has a negative impact on both attitudes and performance.A. TrueB. False
26) Wellness involves maintaining physical and mental health to better deal with stress when it occurs.A. TrueB. False
27) Stress is a state of tension experienced by individuals facing extraordinary demands, constraints, or opportunities.A. TrueB. False
28. Milgram designed experiments to determine the extent to which people __________.A. are willing to use coercive power to gain influence.B. obey the commands of an authority figure.C. learn from personal failures.D. are willing to learn new things as a means of gaining expert power.
29) Which one of the following statements does NOT provide an accurate description of Stanley Milgram’s experiments?A. the experimental results revealed that 35 percent of the subjects subjected the “learner” to the maximum level of shock and the remaining 65 percent refused to obey the experimenter at various intermediate points.B. experimental subjects were instructed to give what they believed were successively higher levels of electric shocks to people who missed the word pairsC. Milgram designed a series of experiments to determine the extent to which people obey the commands of an authority figure, even if they believe they are endangering the life of another person.D. the basic conclusion of Milgram’s studies is there is a tendency for individuals to comply with and be obedient to authority.
30) Which of the following statements about power and organizational politics is NOT correct?A. power and politics always exist in organizations.B. managers derive their power from personal and organizational sources.C. power and politics represent the seamy side of management, since organizations are not democracies composed of individuals with equal influence.D. few instances exist where individual and organizational interests are compatible.
31) High-performance teams have strong core values that help guide their attitudes and behaviors in directions consistent with the team’s purpose.A. TrueB. False
32) High-performance teams have special characteristics that allow them to excel at teamwork and achieve special performance advantages.A. TrueB. False
33) A high-performing team can be created by finding ways to create early successes, establishing clear rules for team behavior, setting the tone in the first team meeting, and, as a leader, modeling expected behaviors.A. TrueB. False
34) _________________ is often used in combination with vertical leadership.A. shared leadershipB. organizational goal settingC. power negotiationD. individual leadership
35) All of the following statements about full-range leadership theory are true EXCEPT:A. C. FRLT is fast becoming the most commonly used leadership theory used by organizations.B. B. the approach is built around revisions to Bass’ Multifactor Leadership Questionnaire.C. A. the theory currently consists of nine factors including five transformational, three transactional one non-transactional factor.D. D. some scholars consider the FRLT as an approach that could serve as a general leadership model that would trim or eliminate the numerous models now emphasized today.
36) Four of the CLT leadership dimensions are:A. charismatic/value based, systematic, future orientation, performance driven.B. autonomous, participative, driven, focus-oriented.C. self-protective, autonomous, humane-oriented, team-oriented.D. implicit, explicit, specific, detailed.
37) The __________ and the __________ are important ways in which firms learn to co-evolve by altering their environments.A. management of networks… influence of governmentsB. use of corporate philanthropy… influence of governmentsC. management of networks…development of alliancesD. influence of governments…development of alliances
38. Large systems tend to be susceptible to the __________, wherein managers fail to monitor their environments, recognize the important trends, or sense the need for change, and consequently their organizations slowly lose their competitive edge.A. impatience trapB. boiled frog phenomenonC. proactive phenomenonD. immobility trap
39) The obvious organizational design response to uncertainty and volatility is to opt for a more __________ form.A. mechanisticB. bureaucraticC. centralizedD. organic