16.Identify an assumption that a Theory X leader is least likely to subscribe to. 1. The average individual has an inherent dislike for work. 2. The average individual prefers to be directed. 3. Security is a major concern for an average individual. 4. The average individual has relatively little ambition. 5. The intellectual potentialities of an average individual are only partially utilized.
17.According to the path-goal theory, _____ leadership involves consulting with subordinates and asking for their suggestions in the decision-making process. 1. Authority-obedience 2. Supportive 3. Role classification 4. Participative 5. Telling style
18.Identify the leadership style that involves cultivating employee acceptance of the group mission.
1. Transactional 2. Supportive 3. Transformational 4. Participative 5. Country club
19.Which type of a leader is most likely to use an authoritarian style of leadership?
1. Theory X leader 2. Theory Y leader 3. Participative leader 4. Laissez-faire leader 5. Democratic leader
20.Identify the type of leader who postulates that the average human being has an inherent dislike of work and will avoid it, if possible.
1. Middle-of-the-road 2. Theory Y 3. Theory X 4. Laissez-faire 5. Democratic
21.Opposing personalities often result in _____ type of conflict.
1. cognitive 2. functional 3. objective 4. affective 5. interpersonal
22.Feelings or emotions are incompatible and the result is usually anger at the other person. Identify the type of conflict discussed here.
1. Cognitive 2. Functional 3. Objective 4. Affective 5. Interpersonal
23.Response to frustration and anxiety can vary and be expressed through withdrawal symptoms. Identify an instance of a withdrawal behavior.
1. Higher absenteeism 2. Aggression 3. Drug abuse 4. Excessive drinking 5. Sabotage
24.Which of the following is an example of an employee assistance program?
1. A Program that is designed to prevent illness and enhance employee well-being. 2. A system of periodic employee training addressing such issues as workplace policies and warning signs of violence. 3. A program that allows the recipient to take time off, often with some pay cut, while retaining benefits. 4. A program that employs a coordinator who evaluates the employee's problem only sufficiently to make a referral to the proper agency or clinic for diagnosis. 5. A program that attempts to identify any work related causes of stress.
25.All of the following are types of intergroup or structural conflict except
1. unequal departmental dependence. 2. role dissatisfaction. 3. common resource dependence. 4. organizational conflict. 5. communication barriers.