Lani S.
Lani S., Tutor
Experience:  Registered Nurse, Internet Researcher, Private Tutor

Nutrition for a Patient Undergoing Radiation and Chemo.

This question has been answered by Lani before...maybe she could give me that answer so I can have a foundation to work with. Please provide references, if used.

Case Study - Nutrition for a Patient Undergoing Radiation and Chemotherapy

Mr. Allen is an 86-year-old gentleman undergoing 40 days of radiation treatment (XRT) for squamous cell carcinoma T4NOMO of the base of tongue (BOT). He is receiving concurrent chemotherapy. He presented with a sore throat as well as swallowing difficulties and discomfort. These symptoms had become progressively worse over the past year.

Case Overview

At the start of radiation therapy (XRT), Mr. Allen’s weight was 171.5 lbs and his height was 5 feet 6.5 inches. His BMI, 27, put him in the overweight classification. However, his usual body weight (prior to this condition) had been 183 lbs.

The primary goal of medical nutrition therapy is to identify nutritional risk and implement strategies to minimize the impact of treatment side effects on food intake that may contribute to weight loss and nutrient deficiencies.

• On the 5th day of XRT, Mr. Allen complained of dysgeusia (decreased taste sensation).

• On the 19th day of XRT, he reported decreased appetite secondary to constipation. He was following a soft diet that included the oral supplement Boost plus TID. His weight loss was a total of 3.5 lbs. He began stool softeners and was started on Megace, an appetite stimulant.

• On the 23rd day of XRT, the patient reported that he chokes on plain water but not oral supplements. His weight was stable since day 19, indicating no further weight loss.

• On the 28th day of XRT, the patient complained of increased pain with swallowing, continued taste change, and decreased PO intake. He also lost an additional 3 lbs. He was instructed to increase the frequency of liquid codeine to ease the pain of swallowing.

• By day 38 of XRT, the patient had been treated for dehydration twice. His soft diet continues with thickened juices and oral supplements. His weight has decreased another pound since day 28. His total weight loss since the beginning of XRT was 7.5 lbs. His weight at the end of XRT was 164 lbs. and his BMI was 26.

Based on Mr. S. Allen's case study, answer the following questions.

1. Beginning with dysgeusia, list the nutrition alterations that contributed to Mr. Allen's decreased food intake.

2. For each problem, list possible interventions that you would recommend to minimize the negative effects on his food intake.

3. What is the most meaningful way to evaluate his weight loss? Do the necessary calculations. Consider his usual body weight (UBW), his weight at the beginning and at the end of his 8 weeks of treatment. How will you classify his nutritional status based on his weight loss?

Thank you for the help.

Hi, I am a Moderator for this topic. I sent your requested Professional a message to follow up with you here, when they are back online. If I can help further, please let me know. Thank you for your patience.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX wait until no later than tomorrow morning for a response.

Angela xxxx

Hello Angela,

Yes, I have answered these assignment before. I can provide you those answers for you to use as models. Let me know if you still need help. Thanks.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, please I would love to view your answers to use as a foundation to completing my assignment. I am really just at a loss as to where and how to start.

Thank you for your help!

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.
Lani S., Tutor
Experience: Registered Nurse, Internet Researcher, Private Tutor
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your help. I truly appreciate it!

Most welcome!