akch2002
akch2002, Engineer
Experience:  Home work expert

The diff erential equations for constant harvest and constant

The diff erential equations for constant harvest and constant effort models for sustainable harvesting can both be written in a nicer factorised form as follows:

dP/dt = r/K (P - PU )(PS - P)

where P(t) is the population size, r is the intrinsic reproduction rate, K is the carrying capacity, PU is the unstable equilibrium and PS is the stable equilibrium. In this assignment you will derive a formula for the general solution and then use it to calculate the time required for a population to recover from a disaster.

(a) Use separation of variables and partial fractions to determine the general solution to the above di fferential equation. Leave your solution in implicit form, you do not need to make P the subject.

(b) Now assume that PU < P < PS and show that the general solution can be written in the form

a ln(P-PU /PS-P) = r/Kt + C
where C is an arbitrary constant. Give an expression for the coffecient a.

(c) The constant harvest model has r = 0:3 per year, K = 3000 kilotons, PS = 1600 kilotons and PU = 1400 kilotons. A disaster has reduced the population close to the unstable equilibrium. Assuming P = 1410 when t = 0 calculate the time taken for the population to reach P = 1500.

(d) The constant effort model also has r = 0:3 per year, K = 3000 kilotons and PS = 1600 kilotons but PU = 0 kilotons. Assuming the same initial condition of P = 1410 when t = 0 calculate the time taken for the population to reach P = 1500 for this model.
Category: Homework
Expert:  akch2002 replied 1 year ago.
Can you upload word file of these questions?
Kindly indicate dead line for replying this question.
Expert:  akch2002 replied 1 year ago.
Kindly write the equation as given in the question.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The differential equations for constant harvest and constant effort models for sustainable harvesting can both be written in a nicer factorised form as follows:

dP/dt = r/K(P-PU )(PS - P)

(a) Use separation of variables and partial fractions to determine the general solution to the above differential equation. Leave your solution in implicit form, you do not need to make P the subject.

a ln(P-PU/PS-P) = r/Kt + C

where C is an arbitrary constant. Give an expression for the coefficient a.

Note: A fishing authority would want a plan that allows fast recovery of the fish population while allowing a viable fishing industry. If you have done the calculations correctly you will discover that the recovery time for one of the models is a few years and for the other is over a century.

The deadline is 10/2/2012
Expert:  akch2002 replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I will reply before due date.
Expert:  akch2002 replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
akch2002, Engineer
Experience: Home work expert
Expert:  akch2002 replied 1 year ago.
Do you require any clarification?