Mr. Gregory White
Mr. Gregory White, Professor
Experience:  M.A., M.S. Education / Educational Administration

1. A group's interpersonal compatibility may be assessed by examining which set of interpersonal needs?

need for achievement, inclusion, and control

need for affection, achievement, and power

need for inclusion, affection, and achievement

need for inclusion, control, and affection

2. An important role in the performance of cross-functional teams is: contributor

data generator

3. A deterioration of mental efficiency, reality testing, and moral judgment resulting from in-group pressures defines:

group polarization

the risky shift

the recency effect

4. Research indicates that women are:

less averse to risk than men

more averse to risk than men

the same as men with respect to risk aversion

less inclined to commit resources to a losing course of action than men

5. Which base of power has the strongest relationship with performance and satisfaction?

6. The range in which attempts to influence the employee are perceived as legitimate and are acted on without a great deal of thought is known as:

the principal/agent relationship

agency theory

the zone of indifference

7. It is easier to encourage employee empowerment when the organization highly values _____ and _____ power.

expert; referent

legitimate; coercive

reward; coercive

personal; manipulative

8. Which of the following CEO’s highlighted in your text “fire themselves every Friday” so that they are constantly reinventing themselves? This approach is based on the notion that you must reinvent yourself before you can reinvent your company.

Howard Schultz

Mike Lazaridis

Mark Zuckerman

Andrea Jung

9. In contrast to leadership, the topic of followership has:

been viewed as not highly differentiated versus leadership

been viewed from a traditional perspective as passive

not been extensively researched

not endorsed the view that the follower role is an active one with potential for leadership.

10. Based on the analysis of the leadership approaches for the Co-CEO’s of RIM provided in the Thinking Ahead | Looking Back feature of chapter 12, which of the following best reflects their approach using the Ohio State studies to guide your analysis? initiating structure

both initiating structure and consideration

11. One way of classifying styles of conflict management is to examine the styles' cooperativeness and the styles':

degree of competition

degree of compromise

12. The behavioral tendencies associated with an equal versus equal power relationship is:

resistance to change

lack of motivation

the tendency to compete

to make concessions

13. Conflict that occurs between teams in an organization is referred to as:

intraorganizational conflict

interorganizational conflict

intergroup conflict

interpersonal conflict

14. While there are differences in the meaning of work among countries, similarities appear to exist in:

job enrichment and satisfaction

determinants of job involvement

two common work dimensions: work content and job context

two common motivators: positive feedback and valued rewards

15. ]The Job Characteristic Model is considered to be a(n):

additive model

compensatory model

interactive model

interactive and additive

16. The interdisciplinary approach to job design emphasizing the person's interaction with physical aspects of the work environment and concern with physical exertion is the:

biological approach

mechanistic approach

perceptual/motor approach

motivational approach

17. Departmentation on a college or university campus is most commonly based on:

student classification (freshman, sophomore, etc.)

time of day of course offerings

academic discipline or subject matter

building location and physical space

18. An organization chart shows:

formal lines of authority and supervisor-employee reporting relationships

how many people are employed by an organization

the tasks for each job

the number of positions in each department

19. In general, the flatter an organization the more necessary are: vertical integrators

higher degrees of formalization

differentiation activities

integration mechanisms

20. Strong cultures are thought to facilitate performance for three reasons. Which of the following is NOT one of those reasons?

goal alignment or common goals

higher level of motivation

higher job satisfaction

control without bureaucracy

21. The most visible and accessible level of culture is:

socialization processes

22. When Southwestern Bell emphasizes the importance of management training by kicking off classes using a high-ranking executive and has a graduation ceremony when classes are completed, they have utilized:

a rite of renewal and a rite of passage
       a rite of enhancement and a rite of passage
       a rite of integration and a rite of enhancement
       a rite of passage and a rite of integration

23. Work-home conflicts are typically first encountered during which phase of the career stage?

24. Self-perceived talents, motives, and values that guide an individual's career decisions are called:

life goals
       career anchors
       career planning

25. An appropriate occupation/job for a person with a technical/functional competence anchor is:

machine operator in clothing manufacturing
       freelance photographer
       assembly line worker

Category: Homework
Expert:  Mr. Gregory White replied 3 years ago.

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.
Mr. Gregory White, Professor
Experience: M.A., M.S. Education / Educational Administration