Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience:  Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)
22285537

Quiz Numbers 40958800 & 40958900

You must type all of the answers to the quiz questions and save them in a word-processing document. Include your name, address, and student number on the top of the first page of your answers. Use the quiz number 40958800. Be certain to indicate the proper question number before each of your answers.

Part A:
Complete the following multiple-choice questions. Choose the best answer for each question.
1. The physical presence or existence of a condition that can be observed by the physician is a/an
A. lesion.
B. sign.
C. injury.
D. symptom.

2. One of the reasons E codes are used is to indicate which of the following?
A. Specific disease processes
B. Birth details
C. Myocardial infarctions
D. Where an accident occurred

3. Which of the following best describes late effects?
A. Residual effects that remain after the acute phase of an injury or illness
B. Effects that are always coded alone
C. Effects categorized according to the nature and time of the disease, condition, or injury
D. E codes that describe where the injury, illness, or condition occurred

4. When two or more diagnoses equally meet the criteria for principal diagnosis, what action should the coder take?
A. Code both diagnoses with either of the diagnoses sequenced first.
B. Code both of the diagnoses, sequencing the codes based on which diagnosis the physic***** *****sted first on the discharge sheet.
C. Code only the diagnosis most closely related to the treatment.
D. Code only the diagnosis that’s the most resource-intensive.

5. In an acute care hospital, when is it appropriate to assign a code such as 794.31—nonspecific abnormal electrocardiogram?
A. When the laboratory or testing report shows that the abnormal finding meets Uniform Hospital Discharge Data Set (UHDDS) criteria
B. When the physician has documented the abnormal finding in the Progress Notes
C. When the physician hasn’t been able to arrive at a diagnosis, and the condition meets the guidelines for that particular code
D. It’s never appropriate to assign codes of this type for an acute care setting.

6. Which of the following would not be a valid principal diagnosis?
A. 873.42
B. E880.9
C. 496
D. V25.12

7. Which of the following codes fall under the category of providing codes for reporting factors influencing health status and health service?
A. V67.4
B. E884.2
C. 47.09
D. A4510

8. Unknown causes of morbidity or mortality should be coded only when
A. the physician documents them on laboratory reports.
B. a more definitive diagnosis isn’t available.
C. reporting acute care hospital codes.
D. they meet UHDDS guidelines.

9. Which of the following scenarios could be classified within code ranges 960–979?
A. Patient has lethargy for unintentionally taking too much of her prescribed sleeping pill.
B. Patient had an allergic reaction to her normal dose of antihistamine.
C. Patient experienced lightheadedness due to the interaction of two drugs prescribed by her family doctor.
D. Patient is experiencing increased heart rate due to daily dose of Valium that has been taken as prescribed.

10. A patient was admitted to the hospital with a deep burn to the dermis of the arm. For coding purposes, you would classify this condition as
A. a first-degree burn.
B. a second-degree burn.
C. a third-degree burn.
D. undeterminable until the physician clarified with more information.

Category: Homework
Expert:  Chris M. replied 2 years ago.

Here are the answers for comparison with your own.
1. B. sign.
2. D. Where an accident occurred
3. A. Residual effects that remain after the acute phase of an injury or illness
4. A. Code both diagnoses with either of the diagnoses sequenced first.
5. B. When the physician has documented the abnormal finding in the Progress Notes
6. B. E884.2
7. A. V67.4
8. B. a more definitive diagnosis isn't available.
9. A. Patient has lethargy for unintentionally taking too much of her prescribed sleeping pill.
10. D. undeterminable until the physician clarified with more information.

Hope this helps!

Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience: Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Chris, I have more questions, do you have time to answer them?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Assignment 2 Graded Quiz

Books Needed:
Clinical Coding Workout: Practice Exercises for Skill Development
ICD-9-CM coding manual
Directions: Each assignment quiz is divided into two parts. Part A is composed of multiplechoice coding questions, and Part B requires you to code the information from a coding scenario found in your Clinical Coding Workout: Practice Exercises for Skill Development book. Complete all required and relevant codes for each given scenario. When you’re comfortable with your answers for both parts, submit this quiz to your instructor for grading following the instructions at the end of the quiz.

You must type all of the answers to the quiz questions and save them in a word-processing document. Include your name, address, and student number on the top of the first page of your answers. Use the quiz number 40958900. Be certain to indicate the proper question number before each of your answers.

Part A: Complete the following multiple-choice questions.
1. Which of the following code categories should be chosen over codes from other chapters for the same condition?
A. Complications of pregnancy
B. Neoplasms
C. Blood disorders
D. Metabolic and nutritional diseases

2. Pyuria or bacteria in the urine should be coded to
A. 790.7.
B. 038.8.
C. 599.0.
D. 112.5.

3. A patient returns to learn the results of an HIV test, which are negative. Which code is listed as the reason for the encounter?
A. V65.44
B. 795.71
C. 042
D. V08

4. A patient has a condition wherein the body fails to produce insulin. She requires daily insulin shots for control that seem to stabilize the condition. She isn’t experiencing any significant health issues. This condition is coded as
A. 250.01.
B. 250.00.
C. 250.02.
D. 250.03.

5. A patient is experiencing diabetic nephropathy with hypertensive chronic renal disease and chronic renal failure. How many codes would be assigned for this patient?
A. 1
B. 2
C. 3
D. 4

6. Hypopotassemia is coded as
A. 266.5.
B. 244.0.
C. 276.8.
D. 251.2.

7. Conditions that have a decrease in hemoglobin levels in the blood can be coded to Chapter
A. 2.
B. 3.
C. 4.
D. Need more information

8. When should acute blood loss anemia following surgery be coded as a complication of the surgery?
A. Whenever there’s a large amount of blood loss following a surgery
B. When the physician states that the large amount of blood loss is due to the surgery and causing the anemia
C. When anemia follows surgery and hemoglobin levels are elevated beyond the normal range
D. Never. Anemia is never considered a complication; instead, it’s considered a disease or disorder.

9. Which of the following should be used as a guideline when coding diabetes as uncontrolled versus controlled?
A. Blood glucose levels outside of the normal range as documented in the patient’s medical record
B. Physician documentation stating uncontrolled or controlled
C. The need for daily insulin injections
D. Any of the above

10. When coding infectious and parasitic diseases,
A. a second code is assigned to indicate the causative organism.
B. fourth digits or additional codes may indicate the causative organism(s).
C. code categories 041–079 as principal, with a fourth digit indicating the causative organism.
D. optional E codes are used to indicate the causative organism.

Expert:  Chris M. replied 2 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work