Bizhelp
Bizhelp, CPA
Experience:  Bachelors Degree and CPA with Accounting work experience
23848519

Assume you are the manager of Yabba Cable Company, which provides

Assume you are the manager of Yabba Cable Company, which provides commercial communication services to the town of Canyon Lake, Texas. Because of licensing restrictions in the market, only your company and two others (Dabba and Zabba) are allowed to operate in this market. The three companies decide to form a cartel and divide the market shares such that each company will provide services that will maximize its profits. The licensing restrictions allow each company to sell as much as it wants at a price ceiling of $2,400. You have the following output and MC data for each company:
Output MC ($)
Q Yabba Dabba Zabba
1,200 2,700 2,800 2,900
2,200 2,600 2,500 2,700
3,200 2,400 2,300 2,500
4,200 2,200 2,200 2,300
5,200 2,300 2,400 2,400
6,200 2,400 2,700 2,500
a. Calculate the industry output and market share at the current price of $2,400, assuming the prices are stable and unlikely to change.
b. Assume the current prices in the market are challenged by the regulatory agency, resulting in a new maximum price of $2,200. How will this change the industry output and market share for each company?
c. Is there any incentive for any company to cheat under either of the conditions in tasks a and b? Why or why not?
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Bizhelp:

Thank you for the concept and some answers for the assignment program. I was struggling for a while to get the answer working on two oligopoly models I learned in class. Is this like Bertrand model thank you.

Danielle

Hi Danielle,

You are welcome.

The Bertrand model deals with duopolies or how two companies compete with each other without any cooperation between the firms. This problem deals with cartel pricing behavior which is a bit different since there is cooperation between firms.

If you are satisfied with my service, please rate me as good service or better so that I may receive credit for my work.

Thank you and have a great weekend.