Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience:  Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)
22285537

1.If you measure 20 feet between an existing box and a new

1.If you measure 20 feet between an existing box and a new box location, you should cut a piece of cable with a
length of approximately
A.20 to 21 ft. C. 40 to 42 ft.
B.25 to 26 ft. D. 48 to 55 ft.
2.When a device is removed from an outlet box, the _______ wire must be connected in such a way that
maintains continuity.
A.neutral C. hot
B.grounding D. grounded neutral
3.To correctly saw a lath and plaster wall, point the teeth of the saw
A.away from you and cut on the pushing stroke. C. toward you and cut on the pushing stroke.
B.away from you and cut on the pulling stroke. D. toward you and cut on the pulling stroke.
4.The labor performed when you extend an existing electrical system is called
A.old work. C. troubleshooting.
B.repair work. D. faultfinding.
5.The basement in an existing building has concrete walls, a concrete floor, and a concrete ceiling. From this
information, you know that receptacles, lamp fixtures, and switches
A.can’t be installed in this basement as there is no way to ground the circuit.
B.won’t require ground-circuit protection because concrete insulates the occupants from ground.
C.can be installed in the basement and circuit wiring enclosed in a surface raceway system.
D.can only be installed if they’re connected with armored cable.
6.Which of the following tests must be performed on a de-energized circuit?
A.Power test C. Voltage test
B.Continuity test D. Current test
7.Each outside receptacle must be protected by
A.a GFCI. C. a single- or double-pole switch.
B.its own ground rod. D. its own circuit.
8.A circuit consists of five unequal loads connected in parallel. To measure the resistance through one specific
load, you must
A.remove power from the circuit and measure the load’s resistance in it’s installed location.
B.apply power to the circuit, disconnect the load from the circuit, and measure the load’s resistance.
C.apply power to the circuit, measure the overall circuit resistance, and divide this value by five.
D.remove power from the circuit, disconnect the load from the circuit, and measure the load’s resistance.
9.When new work is being performed, an outlet box must have a minimum depth of
A.1 in. C. 2 in.
B.1 ½ in. D. 2 ½ in.
10.When new outlets are being added to the first floor of a two-story house with an unfinished basement, the
easiest route for running cable is usually
A.behind the wall.
B.behind the baseboard.
C.by way of the second floor.
D.by way of the basement.
11.When an aluminum conductor is installed on a screw terminal, the screw should be tightened to a torque of
A.8 lb-in. C. 15 lb-in.
B.12 lb-in. D. 20 lb-in.
12.A fixed electric space heater that draws a maximum current of _______ must be supplied by a cable with an
ampacity of 30 A.
A.15 A C. 27 A
B.24 A D. 30 A
13.If a fixed appliance has an automatically started motor and is supplied by an individual branch circuit, the
protection recommended is equal to or less than
A.twice the appliance rated current. C. the appliance rated current.
B.125 percent of the appliance rated current. D. the full service current.
14.Which of the following is a true statement about the planning stages of adding a receptacle to an existing
electrical system?
A.You must ensure that the existing circuit breaker will have enough capacity to handle the expected load to
be applied at the new receptacle.
B.It’s not acceptable to bring power from an existing box containing a light switch.
C.Only nongrounding-type receptacles can be added to an existing system.
D.It isn’t necessary to identify joist or stud locations prior to adding a new receptacle.
15.When installing cable behind a wall, it’s recommended to run the cable behind the baseboard rather than
through the studs when the
A.fish tape can’t be utilized. C.wall studs are less than 16 inches apart.
B.wall is plasterboard. D. wall is plaster or lath.
16.A device box with supports is the best choice when installing a
A.device box mounted in an existing drywall-covered wall.
B.device box in a lath ceiling.
C.device box that’s to be attached to a bar hanger.
D.shallow device box in either new or existing walls.
17.A transformer that’s used with a doorbell has a fixed output of
A.1 V. C.60 V.
B.10 V. D.120 V.
18.A suitable disconnecting means for a fixed appliance is a
A.pigtail cord. C.circuit breaker.
B.light switch that interrupts the hot wire. D.two-pole switch that interrupts the common wire.
19.The most efficient way to troubleshoot a defective electrical circuit is to start by
A.replacing the components that you believe are faulty.
B.having the power company evaluate the entire system’s operating efficiency.
C.breaking down a multiple-circuit system into isolated circuits to be evaluated one at a time.
D.bypassing the system’s main disconnect to ensure continuous power.
20. After routing cable from an existing device box through a wall and pulling the cable into a new box, your next
step is to
A. replace the existing receptacle with a higher-capacity device.
B. apply power to the circuit.
C. strip and connect the wires to the existing receptacle.
D. tighten the internal cable clamps in the new box.
Category: Homework
Expert:  Chris M. replied 2 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience: Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you very much Chris, for your help..and fast response.Great help!

Expert:  Chris M. replied 2 years ago.
You're very welcome. Glad to assist you!