FiveStarLaw
FiveStarLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer, Accountant and Researcher

"FiveStarLaw" 13. John Astor is angry with his neighbor,

Customer Question

"FiveStarLaw"

13. John Astor is angry with his neighbor, Wendell Suzuki, for a number of reasons, but not
for any one thing in particular. He just doesn’t like the man. After years of suffering in
silence, he decides he is going to make up a reason to sue Suzuki. What could happen
to Astor?
A. Astor is protected from any harm because he filed a lawful legal action.
B. Astor could be held in contempt of court and his house could be seized by
the government.
C. Astor could wind up in endless legal actions as his only recourse to settle problems
with Suzuki.
D. If Suzuki proves that Astor’s action was without cause, he could countersue for
malicious prosecution. The court could impose stiff sanctions.

14. Fed. R. Civ. P. 3 states that a civil action is commenced when what single event happens?
A. A complaint is filed with the court.
B. Notice is served on the defendant.
C. The defendant acknowledges that the complaint has been served.
D. The judge agrees to accept the case.

15. In a civil proceeding, trial by jury is a right given to us from what source?
A. The Administrative Code of the Federal Court Procedures
B. The Seventh Amendment of the U.S. Constitution
C. Federal Rules of Civil Procedure
D. The Judiciary and Judicial Procedure Act

16. Alfonso and Bart are two drivers who were involved in an automobile accident. Alfonso
feels that Bart is responsible for the accident and has filed suit against him in court. Bart
feels that the accident was Alfonso’s fault and plans to file his own claim in this matter.
Bart should file a
A. a counterclaim.
B. a cross-claim.
C. both a counterclaim and a cross-claim.
D. a separate law suit against Alfonso.

17. In criminal litigation, motions may be filed
A. only after the trial actually begins.
B. when the judge rules that motions may be presented.
C. following the exchange of discovery by the defense and prosecution.
D. only when each side rests its case.

18. Which of the following is an example of direct examination?
A. Attorneys for the plaintiff and defendant ask questions of potential jurors during
voir dire, in an attempt to assemble a sympathetic jury.
B. The defense lawyer in a malpractice suit asks the plaintiff’s expert witness questions
about inconsistencies in his testimony.
C. The trial judge in a murder trial asks potential jurors how they feel about the death
penalty, to determine juror qualifications and impartiality.
D. The defense lawyer in a murder trial calls a witness who was with the defendant
on the night of the crime, and asks questions about what he saw.

19. An answer to a verified complaint should include a verified
A. general denial and counterclaim.
B. specific denial of each point with affirmative defenses.
C. list of affirmative defenses and cross-claim.
D. general denial with affirmative defenses.

20. Johnson H. Carruthers, an architect, enters into a legal binding agreement with the
Board of Education in Harrington County, West Virginia, to design a new high school.
Carruthers used a contract form provided to him by his professional association, the
American Institute of Architects. Their standard form has been tested and upheld or
modified in various courts of law. Carruthers eventually wound up suing the Board of
Education for nonpayment. What type of law is involved?
A. Substantive law C. Procedural law
B. Evidentiary law D. Workers’ Compensation law
Category: Homework
Expert:  FiveStarLaw replied 1 year ago.
Hi!

Thank you for directing these questions to me. I will post the answers in about 10 to 15 min.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank You Madam

Here are my answers for comparison with your own:

13 D. If Suzuki proves that Astor’s action was without cause, he could countersue for
14 A. A complaint is filed with the court.
15 B. The Seventh Amendment of the U.S. Constitution
16 A. a counterclaim.
17 C. following the exchange of discovery by the defense and prosecution.
18 D. The defense lawyer in a murder trial calls a witness who was with the defendant
19 B. specific denial of each point with affirmative defenses
20 A. Substantive law

I am happy to answer any additional questions that you may have
FiveStarLaw, Lawyer
Experience: Lawyer, Accountant and Researcher
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Very grateful.....posting last five right away

THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.