Scott
Scott, MIT Graduate
Experience:  MIT Graduate (Math, Programming, Science, and Music)

NA - 201

Customer Question

Part A Final Examination Booklet for Medical Billing and Coding
1. Discuss two differences between inpatient and outpatient coding.
2. You’ve started your first day at Venture Outpatient Surgery
Center. Code the following operative report:
Operative Report
PREOPERATIVE DIAGNOSIS: Left flank soft tissue mass
POSTOPERATIVE DIAGNOSIS: Left flank soft tissue mass
SURGEON: John Doe, DO
OPERATIONS: Excision of left flank soft tissue mass with
layered closure measuring 4 cm, with margins, prior to
excision
ANESTHESIA: Sedation with 1% lidocaine with epinephrine and sodium bicarbonate
OPERATIVE INDICATIONS: This is a pleasant female who comes in with a soft tissue lesion in the left flank over what appeared to be a spigelian hernia site as well.
However, it was not reducible and did not appear to be consistent with a hernia. Consequently, the procedure, risks, benefits, and alternatives of excision of this lesion
were discussed with the patient, and she understood and wished to proceed with the excision.
OPERATIVE FINDINGS: Large soft tissue lesion measuring
about 6 cm in greatest dimension
OPERATIVE PROCEDURE: The patient was brought into the operation room after
informed consent was obtained. The patient then underwent sedation with a sterile
prep and drape. We then anesthetized with 1% lidocaine with epinephrine and
sodium bicarbonate, made a 4-cm incision, and used sharp dissection to dissect circumferentially around this soft tissue lesion, being careful to make sure that we
were not entering any kind of hernia sac secondary to spigelian hernia. As we continued to dissect circumferentially around it without sharp dissection, it was noted
that it did go down to a muscle, but no evidence of hernia was identified. The lesion
was excised in its entirety, and electrocautery was used to control hemostasis. We
then irrigated with saline solution and closed the subcutaneous tissue with 3-0
Vicryl interrupted and running sutures. We then used 4-0 Vicryl sutures to close the
skin in a subcuticular fashion. Benzoin and Steri-Strips were then applied. Blood
loss was minimal. The patient tolerated the procedure well and remained in stable
condition throughout the procedure.
CPT Code: ____________________
ICD-9-CM Code: ____________________
3. Discuss coding for obstetrics, including items covered by the global fee for antepartum
and postpartum periods of normal pregnancy.
Part B: Answer each of the following items in two to five sentences. Each answer is worth
four points.
1. What is the difference between Excludes 1 and Excludes 2 notes in the ICD-10?
2. What are some of the problems associated with modifiers -51 and -59?
3. What are the two types of immunity and how do they differ?
4. What are the three types of wound repair, and what must be documented to code
them?
5. Explain how evaluation and management (E/M) codes are grouped.
Part C: Select the one best answer to each question. Each item is worth two points.
1. Which of the following modifiers is used to indicate partial reduction or elimination of a
pathology procedure?
A. -22 C. -42
B. -32 D. -52
2. CPT Category II codes consist of _______ digits followed by one alpha character.
A. two C. four
B. three D. five
3. Which of the following forms is used to request payment from an insurer?
A. ICD-9 3400 C. RFP
B. CPT 2002 D. CMS-1500
4. The ICD-10-PCS system uses a tool coders have never used before. What is it?
A. Index C. Procedures
B. Tables D. Qualifiers
5. During a breast biopsy, the physician removes an entire tumor and sends it to pathology. The physician performed a/an
A. incisional biopsy. C. partial mastectomy.
B. excisional biopsy. D. destruction of a lesion.
6. Which of the following codes is used to report a barium enema with KUB?
A. 74750C C. 7473O
B. 74740D D. 74270
7. The only exception to the Uniformity Provision is
A. site-of-service limitations. C. volume performance standards.
B. geographic practice cost adjustments. D. beneficiary protection.
8. M-codes are used to indicate types of
A. neoplasms. C. manipulations.
B. maternal conditions. D. myocardial infarctions.
9. Which of the following CPT code ranges describes evocative/suppression testing
procedures?
A. 80400–80440 C. 81000–81099
B. 80500–80502 D. 82000–82999
10. A radiology center that owns its own equipment, employs its own technicians, and
employs its own radiologist who supervises, interprets, and reports on the findings will
code __ radiological procedures.
A. Technical C. Global
B. Professional D. Combination
Category: Homework
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I’m a Moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find a Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I am waiting is there no one to respond?

Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your reply. Sometimes, finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly.
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your patience, your business is very important to us, we are waiting on the Professional with the right expertise to come online. Please let us know if you would like us to continue searching for a Professional or if you would like us to close your question. Thank you for your understanding!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay I am still waiting

Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Please understand that it’s rare when we cannot find the right Professional. Please accept our sincere apology. We hope you’ll think of us again when the need arises.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is probably because I refuse to pay 100.00 or more right. I have noticed the more I pay the faster service I get.