Alex
Alex, Engineer
Experience:  BS in Business Administration with a major in MIS. 15+ years experience in software design and development.
50749495

DQ1-Hi Sharnita - True, prostitution can sometimes pass

DQ1-Hi Sharnita -

True, prostitution can sometimes pass on diseases, but how is that different than people having sex with different partners for free? Is there really any difference, other than having money involved? And, even if money is involved, don't we have a number of examples of people getting married for money? An example is Anna Nicole Smith marrying a very old man who was worth millions of dollars. Did she marry him (and have sex with him) because she was in love, or....was it for the money?

Take a look at what Germany did a number of years ago with legalizing prostitution. There is now much less transition of disease and much lower rates of spousal abuse/rape. They now have mandatory health inspections, mandatory retirement if they contract any communicable disease, the prostitutes now pay taxes on their income and they can have savings accounts and retirement plans, and there is no more violence by pimps.

DQ1-Charity to Carl-I read your post and what you said about germany is interesting because if more state s here like nevada legalized prostitution I think that it would cut down on diseases butt of course they have to show records that they have been tested. Like a lot of Escort companies that women work for even know they might be ileal they require that women get checked every so often. But people on the streets legalizing it more states here on the other hand would it in long run help or hurt society?

DQ1- Alicia to Angela-Exactly you see my point of view, people work and drop sweat for their money therefore should be able to do as the wish with it. I never understood why is it illegal to gamble in some states. As far as the drunk person walking home I can see how it might harm the drunk but it is not putting no one else's life at risk as if the person would if he was driving. I think this are useless laws and just makes the criminal justice system work harder and jails overcrowded. What other laws are out there that you think should not be a law?

DQ1-Akehenton-Alicia-You make some good and interesting points. Regarding prostitution you stated, "why is that harming any one but the person committing the crime? If you meant the person who is selling their body as the one committing the crime it may not hurt them if they are doing it on their free will but what if they are being made to sell their body? What if the prostitute has a disease and is spreading it to the client? These would be situations that it may hurt someone.
The public intoxication statement that I do see makes sense if someone is too drunk to drive they should be able to walk home. If someone is too drunk to drive can they really make it home by foot? Could they not be endangering themselves?

Just another view. I always try to see things on both sides of the law.

Week3DQ1-Carl to me-You raise an interesting point about "criminals certainly know the difference and the associated justice that is associated with such crimes in terms of their punishments and potential jail time." Actually, the average criminal who is caught, doesn't think about those things at all, and that is the problem. No criminal goes out to commit a crime thinking they will get caught. If they think they will get caught, they then think of other ways to commit the crime without getting caught....and then they commit the crime. We all do the same thing, and this is why harsh punishments don't work to lower crime rates or reduce recidivism.

To show this, you have to agree to answer the questions along the way, in a completely truthful manner. I knew you'd agree to that :-) So, the first question is: have you ever purposely exceeded the speed limit? Of course you have (I knew you'd say that also:-). So, even knowing that it was against the law, that you could be punished for a violation, that it increased the risk of accidents/injury/death, you did it anyway. Now, if, while exceeding the speed limit, you saw a cop turn onto the same street you're on, heading in the same direction as you, what would you do? Of course you'd slow down (I knew that one also :-) And why would you slow down? Because you thought you'd get caught. So, it wasn't the possible punishment that made you obey the law, it was the sureness of capture.

The purpose of the above is to illustrate that criminals do the act without thinking about the possible punishment, because they think just like you and me.....that they will get away with it. So, no matter how harsh the possible sentence is, the criminal who does the act is doing it because they think they will not be caught. Unless you inject sureness of capture into the equation, punishment will not work to stop crime. Do you think they would commit as many crimes if there was a police officer on every corner?
week3DQ1-Carl to James-Hi James -

This gets into the issue of mens rea, actus reus and concurrance. Neither the mental state (intent) nor the action alone are punishable as a crime
Category: Homework
Expert:  Alex replied 2 years ago.

Alex :

Hi, in my queue for tomorrow.

Customer: R u on?
Alex :

Yes, working this now.

Alex, Engineer
Experience: BS in Business Administration with a major in MIS. 15+ years experience in software design and development.
Expert:  Alex replied 2 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.