Cher
Cher, Teacher
Experience:  Teacher, Tutor--35+ yrs. Masters Degree. Senior Internet Researcher

Pennfoster High school Exam: 986114RR - ENGLISH COMMUNICATION,

Pennfoster High school
Exam: 986114RR - ENGLISH COMMUNICATION, PART 1

1. For most people, homonyms are confusing because they
A. have similar meanings.
B. sound alike.
C. are spelled the same.
D. look alike.
2. The following words have roots with one syllable. To each, the -ing suffix has been added. Which word
is spelled correctly?
A. Shiping
B. Meeting
C. Triming
D. Hiting
3. In which of the following sentences is the word compliment used correctly?
A. She remembered to compliment him each time he played well.
B. The entire compliment of officers and crew was aboard ship.
C. His jacket and pants seemed to compliment to each other.
D. She had difficulty finding a full compliment to staff the hotel.
4. While reading a magazine, you ask a friend the meaning of the word suffragette. Although she says that
she's never used this word in speaking or writing, she knows what it means if it's part of her _______
vocabulary.
A. oral
B. underscored
C. written
D. recognition
5. Each of the following words has a root ending in y. To each, the suffix -ed has been added. Which word
is spelled correctly?
A. Conveyed
B. Ferryed
C. Defyed
D. Spyed
6. Speak aloud each of the following words. Which word has stress on its first syllable?
A. Fol·low
B. Ob·tain
C. De·test
D. Re·new
7. Which one of the following words is spelled correctly?
A. Applyed
B. Justifyed
C. Relayed
D. Worryed
8. Each of the following words has the suffix -ed. Which word is spelled correctly?
A. Cleanned
B. Plotted
C. Preenned
D. Duckked
9. Read each of the following words aloud. Which has a silent consonant?
A. Knee
B. Plane
C. Crest
D. Cringe
10. Sound out the word chromosome. Which of the following correctly represents the syllables and accents
of that word?
A. chro·mo·some´
B. ´chrom·o·some
C. chrom·o· ´some
D. chro´ ·mo·some
11. Which one of the following pairs of words is an example of a near homonym?
A. Adapt/adopt
B. Their/there
C. Alter/altar
D. Do/due
12. All of the following words are misspelled. Which one of them is misspelled due to the dropping of a
silent e?
A. Mangment
B. Messyness
C. Masaging
D. Maneuvor
13. To perform a structural analysis on the word metaphysician, one of the factors you would identify is
the _______ of the word.
A. origin
B. meaning
C. root
D. connotation
14. The words disclosure and concealment are
A. synonyms.
B. antonyms.
C. homonyms.
D. equivalents.
15. Which one of the following sentences contains a synonym for distortion?
A. The distraction caused a minor accident in the parking lot.
B. His misrepresentation of the facts was caught by the lawyer.
C. The two parts of the sphere created a symmetrical whole.
D. Her truthfulness paid off in the end.
16. While reading a story, you come across the following sentence:
Although Mary was often unfriendly, she established rapport quickly with Jane.
By contrasting the word rapport with the word unfriendly, you realize that rapport means "friendly
relations." The skill you've just used is called
A. phonetic analysis.
B. structural analysis.
C. context clues.
D. dictionary skill.
17. Which sentence contains an antonym for confirmed?
A. The cold affected their performance.
B. They both denied any guilt.
C. He arranged the details for the sale of the yacht.
D. She disregarded most of the traffic laws.
18. Which of the following words is a homonym of bare?
A. Bear
B. Show
C. Barren
D. Filled
19. The following words each contain the letters c, i, and e. Which word is spelled correctly?
A. Decieve
B. Recieve
C. Science
D. Concieve
20. You're using a dictionary to look up unfamiliar words. Which of these words is least likely to be an
entry word?
A. Streamer
B. Frigate
C. Soberly
D. Expedite
21. In which one of these sentences is a prefix used in an italicized word?
A. She pleaded with him not to leave.
B. He left when she shouted at him.
C. She was ungrateful for his help.
D. She was solely to blame for the quarrel.
22. In the words prosecute, the prefix pro means
A. backward.
B. forward.
C. before.
D. after.
23. Which one of the following words derives from a root word that's an action verb?
A. Auditorium
B. Microscope
C. Resonant
D. Autograph
24. While on vacation at a beach, you notice a sandbar that seems to be sinking, day by day, into the ocean.
To describe it, you wish to give the word permanent a negative meaning. Which of the following is a
correctly spelled word that means "not permanent"?
A. Ilpermanent
B. Impermanent
C. Irpermanent
D. Inpermanent
25. The words suffix and prefix share a common root, fix. This common root word means to
A. fasten.
B. organize.
C. say.
D. wish.
26. Which of the following words contains an inflectional ending?
A. Management
B. Slowly
C. Churches
D. Energetic
27. Which one of the following suffixes would you add to the verb hate to convert it into a noun?
A. -s
B. -d
C. -er
D. -ing
28. A historical story tells of a northward voyage taken by a group of people. The suffix -ward implies
A. size.
B. direction.
C. manner.
D. speed.
Category: Homework
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, sheraz and thanks for requesting me to answer your question.

I will be able to assist you with the answers and I will post back when they are completed.

Do you have a due date on this?

Regards,
Cher
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2 to 3 days.
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, and thanks for your reply.

I'll have this for you before your deadline, no problem.

Regards,
Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hello again, sheraz.

Please click HERE to view my answers for comparison with your own.

Please let me know when you have successfully downloaded and saved the file to your computer.

IMPORTANT: If you found my answer helpful, please choose a positive rating like this one Laughing for 'Excellent Service', so I may receive credit for my work. I'm very proud of my 100% positive feedback received from clients like you!

If you have any additional questions about this exam, please click 'Reply to Expert' for more information BEFORE rating, and I will be glad to assist you further.

Best regards,
Cher
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't download answers sheet.please do something.thanks
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hello again, sheraz.

I'll check on the file and send you another way to download.

Please give me a couple of minutes. Thanks!

Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,

Try this link and let me know if you are successful:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?fbu6b3ickcn496l

Best regards
Cher
Cher, Teacher
Experience: Teacher, Tutor--35+ yrs. Masters Degree. Senior Internet Researcher
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, sheraz.

Were you able to download the answers and save to your computer without any problem? Please let me know.

Thanks,
Cher
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My Previous exam went flawlessly.Thanks.I have 32 Questions in my next exam.how would i upload them.
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, sheraz and thanks for your reply.

I'm very glad to hear that your previous exam went flawlessly and you're most welcome! It was my pleasure to be of help to you!

Please remember to rate my answer, above with Laughing for 'Excellent Service', so I may receive credit for my work. Thank you!

I would be happy to assist you with your next exam, however, site rules require that you post it as a new, separate question in Homework, to my attention. Begin your question with 'For Cher'. Also, please let me know your deadline for the new exam.

You can either send the 32 questions as a mediafire.com file, like I sent your answers, or you can list the questions in the question box as you did with this last exam. It's your choice. If you've never used mediafire before, please let me know and I will walk you through the steps. It's not difficult at all.

I hope to hear back from you soon!
Laughing

Best regards,
Cher
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok i can send by mdiafire.
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Fantastic!

Please just remember to do two things, first: rate the answer I sent you on this previous exam by clicking the smiley face that looks like this: Laughing and says 'Excellent Service' below it, then post a NEW question in the Homework Category beginning with 'For Cher' with your mediafire file containing the next exam's questions.

Also, please let me know your due date for the next exam when you post the file with the new questions.

If you encounter any problems with the ratings box or clicking 'Submit' to send the rating, please let me know which rating you have selected and I will request help for you to accomplish this.

Thanks!

Best regards,
Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Thanks very much for your Excellent rating; it is greatly appreciated!

Best regards,
Cher

(no need to reply here, just post your new, different question with the mediafire file containing the exam, in the Homework Category, beginning with my name (Cher), and I will get to work on that for you, asap!)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?bpiahu3y65sz782

You can now download.Thanks
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, sheraz and thanks for sending me the mediafire file with your next exam.

I have downloaded it and wanted to know by when you need this completed.

Thanks!

Regards,
Cher

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2 to 3 days
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, Sheraz and thanks for letting me know.

No problem; I'll have this for you before then.

Would it be possible for you to send me just the first question again, here, with the italicized words--the italics didn't come out in the download. You don't have to italicize if you're unable; just underline or put brackets [___] around the italicized words if it's easier. Thanks.

Regards,
Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, Sheraz.

Here are my answers for comparison with yours: CLICK

As I explained, I couldn't complete question 1 because no words were italicized. When you send that to me, I will respond with the answer.

IMPORTANT: If my answer was helpful, please choose a positive rating like this one Laughing for 'Excellent Service', so I may receive credit for my work. I'm very proud of my 100% positive feedback received from clients like you!

If you have any additional questions, please click 'Reply to Expert' for more information BEFORE rating, and I will be glad to assist you further.

Best regards,
Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, Sheraz.

I see that you have read my answer.

Were you able to download to file without any problem? Please let me know. Thanks!

Best regards,
Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, Sheraz.

I hope you're doing well today! Laughing

Have you already downloaded the file I sent with the answers? I hope it downloaded with no problem! If you need me to send it again, please let me know. Thanks!

Best regards,
Cher
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The file is restricted please allow me to download.Thanks
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hello again, sheraz,

The system is indicating to me that the file has been downloaded multiple times. Have you downloaded it and saved it to your computer?

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, Sheraz.

I'm just following up with you because I haven't heard back from you in quite a few days and I wanted to know how everything is going. I hope all is well!

Have you downloaded the last set of answers I sent you for this exam: http://www.mediafire.com/view/?bpiahu3y65sz782 and did you find it helpful? If so, please remember to rate my answer positively, so that I may receive credit for assisting you.

Also, I had asked you to let me know which words were italicized in the first question, or else it could not be answered properly. Do you still need me to answer it for you? If so, please let me know and just put the words in parentheses ( ) or underline them and I'll be happy to assist you with it.

Please let me know if you need my help with any other exams and I will be happy to help you. Simply begin a new question starting with 'For Cher' and I will answer ASAP.

If you encounter any problems with the ratings system, please let me know so I can have it taken care of for you.

I look forward to your reply.

Best regards,
Cher