Ray Atkinson
Ray Atkinson, Graduate Student
Experience:  Degrees in Math, Education and Accounting, years and years of tutoring.

I am trying to create a simple algorithm for a project I am

Customer Question

I am trying to create a simple algorithm for a project I am working on. I just need it simplified and verified really. Ok so my theory is that your influence potential on a forum posting or social media can be measured using some simple algebra. And then graphed.

So every action has a reaction: a+b=c

where A is possible influences either measured in words or sentences. Ill call it possible influence rule. So the number of words or sentences, depending on the variable I want to use is =A
B would be the number of users or followers on a certain social media. If its a forum it would be the number of viewers or participants in a forum

The problem is in this case A plus B does not equal C. Its more like ((A+B)=x(y))=c
where x would be what I previously said was A and y would be what I previously said was B.
Am I on the right track.
How can I simplify this and
how can I graph this
Category: Homework
Expert:  Ray Atkinson replied 1 year ago.

Ray Atkinson :

Hello. I think I understand your problem, but let me make sure.

Ray Atkinson :

You are working with a post on a social network, and want to track the effects of it. You take the length of the post, add the number of people seeing it, and them multiply by the popularity of your previous posts. Do I have that clear?

Customer:

yes.

Customer:

the user can specefy whether the rule is words or sentences

Ray Atkinson :

I think the length of the post is rather immaterial, other than excessive length could detract from the post. I think the quality of the post would be what you are looking for when quantifying A. I also think that rather than adding the number of viewers, that you should be multiplying.

Ray Atkinson :

Possibly quantify A on a scale from 1 to 10?

Customer:

Ya. I agree. But I am simply interested in the possibility of any infuence on the viewers actions.

Ray Atkinson :

All right. Take the length and multiply by the number of people seeing it. In website terms, it is called "page views," so you could call that product "word views."

Customer:

Ya I thought about that too. So I would need to add a variable of did you find this information usefull versus did you disregard or something of that nature

Customer:

yes. Word views

Customer:

I am creating an app and need specific parameters to input into java or Html

Customer:

Im gonna keep the app simple though

Ray Atkinson :

Your post is 150 words, and 200 people see it, so people saw 30,000 of your words. Multiply that by some factor that is based on your reputation (which could be measured by the question you just mentioned) and you could nail down a number for the influence.

Customer:

just drop boxes with an explantion

Customer:

Ray Atkinson :

I think I would make the influence a number form 0-1 to be multiplied by the word views. This way, if someone has a 50% reputation, people would only believe half the post.

Customer:

Thats about right. Sorry I meant to include your text in my post

Ray Atkinson :

...or 100 of the 200 people would be influenced, so 150*100=15k of the possible 30k score

Customer:

Well with twitter sometimes all you get is a glance. But that still can have an influence on possible outcomes

Customer:

one word probobly doesnt change much, but a 2 or 3 word phrase can

Customer:

Do have any ideas on the parameters

Customer:

or equation

Ray Atkinson :

Right. a tweet might have a low reputation score to begin with, and a word length under 140 characters will probably end up with a low influence, which makes sense for Twitter. It doesn't have much effect unless the person tweeting has a large number of followers.

Customer:

in a simple algebraic format

Customer:

that can be graphed

Ray Atkinson :

A: number of words
B: Number of viewers
C: Reputation (0.00 to 1.00)
Simply multiply A*B*C

Ray Atkinson :

You are able to do a 3D graph?

Customer:

ya

Ray Atkinson :

X,Y,Z, axes?

Customer:

I can.

Ray Atkinson :

Excellent.

Ray Atkinson :

I think that would do it.

Customer:

The problem with that is if you are measuring a single post in a forum, the reoutation parameter has no merit.

Ray Atkinson :

True. You would want some kind of default.

Ray Atkinson :

How much reputation do complete noobs have in a forum? Not much, unless they say something profound.

Customer:

I dont want people adding this to their posts. Its gonna be a simple google app that opens up in a tab and you can enter your parameters for your own or others data

Ray Atkinson :

I think I would mark single posts with no prior reputation about 0.1

Customer:

it isnt even measured. That is what I am creating

Customer:

There are analytics that can give you traffic info. Im making something smaller that you can use in an app format, Im gonna keep it so simple the template is going to look like an old school XP or win95 window

Customer:

So my idea is the app is two parts, the tab withe mathematical parameters, and a widget that allows people to mark your post as interesting or uninteresting

Ray Atkinson :

Couldn't the user just input what they think the reputation would be, or are you trying to calculate that variable as well?

Customer:

Too much user controll, not solid enough

Ray Atkinson :

Well, the "like it, don't like it" question can track a user's posts over time, true, but keep it low for a first post.

Customer:

this is partly guess work the equation, its just to give the poster an idea of a posts or blogs potential influence

Customer:

people read your posts, data tweets, websites all the time without liking

Customer:

what i mean is they copy and paste

Ray Atkinson :

If they don't click like, then the post likely has little influence, right?

Customer:

so you can create a ratio of follwers to likes

Customer:

doesnt work with twitter, even the top tweeters dont get retweeted or shared every post

Customer:

sometimes people follow you instead of retweeting your content

Ray Atkinson :

Well, Twitter does not have a lot of influence anyway, unless you have thousands of followers.

Customer:

It can work for niche and local markets

Ray Atkinson :

and they do not have to retweet. They can just click a button to like it, right?

Customer:

not on twitter

Ray Atkinson :

True. not as it is now.

Customer:

twitter is influential because of the vast amount of people and the speed of data flow

Ray Atkinson :

It would work for FB and regular BB forums

Customer:

FB?

Ray Atkinson :

facebook

Ray Atkinson :

This kind of app looks like it would dovetail with facebook easily.

Customer:

ya, So I appreciate the help, and Ill give you a good rating Ie pay for the seession if you can list just the basic eqations and rules we have discussed

Customer:

I really like your ideas thanks

Ray Atkinson :

A: number of words
B: Number of viewers
C: Reputation (0.00 to 1.00)
Simply multiply A*B*C

Ray Atkinson :

A might be number of characters, but I think words are better.

Customer:

What about in an algebraic form that can be graphed

Ray Atkinson :

You might tweak it down the rod to cut the value if there are too many long words, because people might not read something complicated.

Ray Atkinson :

I = A * B * C

Ray Atkinson :

"Down the road" I meant.

Ray Atkinson :

Remember when you are graphing, that C is only from 0 to 1

Customer:

Im used to y=x+? method of graphing can you put it in that format

Ray Atkinson :

That is useful for 2 dimensional, but you are dealing with three here.

Ray Atkinson :

P=x*y*z

Ray Atkinson :

(P being the point plotted)

Customer:

oh ok, can you give me an example

Customer:

I havent taken college algebra in four years

Customer:

just say it was being inputed into a graphing calc, what would the steps be

Ray Atkinson :

A length of 150 words, 200 followers, and a reputation of 0.2 would have a score of 6000.

Customer:

where do we get the rep from again

Ray Atkinson :

Whatever formula we are using with the "like it / don't like it" or the likes/viewers

Customer:

the number of likes versus followers

Customer:

ok. Same page

Ray Atkinson :

all right. That works. That value is C, and goes from 0 to 1

Ray Atkinson :

On facebook, it will NEVER be 1.0

Customer:

Ok

Customer:

why just 0 to 1

Ray Atkinson :

0% influence to 100% influence.

Ray Atkinson :

Will 100% of people who read what you wrote be influenced by it?

Customer:

so your just using integers instead of percents

Ray Atkinson :

Right.

Customer:

is it easier to graph that way

Ray Atkinson :

Few calculators will take a percent sign in a formula. Use the decimal form.

Ray Atkinson :

Now, why are you graphing in the first place? Are you looking to compare or track a users influence?

Customer:

So I think I have All I need for now, It ws expensive, But I just got a job as a programmer and marketer, and I need results

Ray Atkinson :

I thought you were just trying to get a value. Single values do not need graphs

Customer:

is there anything else you feel I may need or could use

Customer:

over a projected time period

Ray Atkinson :

All programs start out small. Run it, test it, tweak it.

Ray Atkinson :

As more people read, or as reputation changes, that kind of thing/>

Customer:

the graph is just an ad on for the future that will require extra variables

Customer:

So do I need to do somethig to end the chat and you get credit

Ray Atkinson :

Well, if you can tie down one variable, you can make it a 2d graph. You could track a single post of X words, and see how the influence changes when more people read it.

Ray Atkinson :

No, I think you just have a button at the bottom to rate and accept.

Customer:

ya I think that was my original thought. If I have to pitch the app, clients love graphs

Ray Atkinson, Graduate Student
Experience: Degrees in Math, Education and Accounting, years and years of tutoring.