David L.
David L., Engineer
Experience:  20 years experience writing white papers, tech publications

You answered this question for someone else a while back and

Customer Question

You answered this question for someone else a while back and I wanted to know if you still had a copy of the answer. Network Design Paper The University has recently leased a building in. The building will house some offices, classrooms, library, and computer labs. Building dimensions: Length: 240 Feet, Width: 95 Feet, Height: 30 Feet The 50-year-old two-story building has the following layout: 

There will be six computer labs that will be used for instruction.  Each of these labs will have 26 computers (24 student computers and 1 instructor computer).  Each of these labs will also have a server in the closet located inside the lab.

In addition to the six computer labs, there will also be a Student Computer Lab that will provide computer access to students to do their homework.  There will be 30 computers in this lab and a server in the closet.

The library will also have some computers to allow students access to the library resources.  There will be 10 computers for student’s use in the library, and 5 computers for Library staff.

There are five lecture classrooms in the building.  Each of this room will have a computer for instructor’s use.

Finally, there are various offices in the building.  Each of these offices will have one computer for the staff use, with the exception of the Admission office that will have 5 computers for staff use.

Equipment Inventory

Number of

Total Computers

6 Instructional

Computer labs

Student and

Student Computer Lab

6 various offices

Admission office

5 classrooms

To be determined by students

Network Connecting Devices

IT Staff

To be determined by students

To be determined by student

Two server rooms have been allocated, one on the first floor and one on the second floor.

Your task is to design the network for this new building with the following criteria:

• Student-accessed computers should be on separate network from the staff-accessed computers.

• The whole building will share one Internet access connection (T-1 link from Verizon).  This connection will come into the Server Room on the first floor.

• Security is very important as we have to protect students and employee’s data as well as any intellectual property that on the servers and computers.

• The network has been assigned the network address for all computers and devices. For Internet routing use network address.

• The network should use physical cable (not wireless), but do provide wireless access in the Student Lobby area.

Submission should include (in no more than three pages, excluding diagrams and references):

Network Addressing:

1. Define the subnet (based on: rooms, floor, department, or other criteria).

2. For each subnet, define the network address, subnet mask, and available IP addresses to be used by computers or devices.

Physical Network Design:

1. Define the topology that will be used.

2. Select the appropriate network media to use.

3. Select the appropriate network connecting devices to use.

4. Physical layout of the computers on the floor plan.

5. List of additional servers or network devices needed to implement the network.

6. Justifications for your network design (number 1 – 5 above)

You will be evaluated on your ability to

• Implement appropriate IP addressing scheme

• select and justify appropriate cable media that includes the length of each cable segment and number of nodes on each segment

• select and justify appropriate topology such as star, bus, or ring for your network

• select and justify of your selected network equipments

• select and justify appropriate network services to meet network requirements

• select and justify security implementation for the network

• use proper grammar, formatting, network terminology, and reference citations

Feel free to use any drawings or attachments, and assume any number of computers or users (not when provided here). You will be graded on the basis of right media, topology and knowledge of network concepts.

Category: Homework
Expert:  David L. replied 3 years ago.
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
David L., Engineer
Experience: 20 years experience writing white papers, tech publications
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I got it, thanks
Expert:  David L. replied 3 years ago.
Great thanks.