Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience:  Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)

1.The Courts and 2.INFORMATION LITERACY

Customer Question

9. How many Circuit Court of Appeals are there in the Federal Court System? A. 9 C. 12 B. 10 D. 50 10. The primary purpose of establishing a state oversight body for the indigent defense system is to A. enter into more plea bargains for clients so as to avoid the costs of trial. B. ensure independence of the legal process both politically and judicially. C. be able to apply to Congress for funding. D. expedite visits to clients in jail. 11. What is the type of bail where the defendant deposits a percentage of the bail amount, typically 10 percent, with the court? A. Bail bonding C. Release on recognizance B. Capias D. Pretrial release 12. Capital punishment can be imposed only if the defendant committed which of the following crimes, with aggravating circumstances? A. Capital murder C. Rape B. Second-degree murder D. Armed robbery 13. The written order directing a law enforcement officer to arrest a person is called the A. complaint. C. information warrant. B. grand jury indictment. D. arrest warrant. 14. The “three strikes and you’re out” rule is a form of A. determinate sentence. C. mandatory sentencing. B. truth-in-sentencing. D. presumptive sentencing. 15. If a defendant claims that drugs were illegally seized but the trial court admitted the drugs into evidence, then where can the defendant go to challenge the decision of the trial court? A. A drug court C. A court of limited jurisdiction B. A specialty court D. An intermediate appeals court 16. What is the name of the group who has been called for jury duty? A. The voir dire C. The sequestered B. The venire D. The jury 17. An appellate court proportionality review of a case is designed to A. affirm or overturn a conviction. B. determine whether all admitted evidence was legally obtained. C. negate the death penalty. D. reduce disparity in death penalty sentencing. 18. One reason that sentencing guidelines are criticized is that A. they exclude the possibility of parole. B. the actual time in prison can be reduced. C. they’re too detailed and cumbersome to apply. D. they produce an unusually harsh prison system. 19. The most common way for the U.S. Supreme Court to decide what cases it will hear is A. via appeals. B. by granting a writ of certiorari. C. by reviewing every case filed. D. according to the president’s recommendation. 20. The Supreme Court ruled that “. . . claims of actual innocence based on newly discovered evidence [are not] grounds for” ordering a new trial in death penalty cases in A. Herrera v. Collins. C. Henderson v. Morgan. B. Robins v. Louisiana. D. Coker v. Georgia. 1. Copyright law allows for which of the following? A. Making a copy of a three-page journal article to use in researching your research paper B. Copying a quotation from an electronic journal to use in your research paper, without citing the source C. Borrowing image files from a Web site for your own Web site D. Photocopying several copies of a chapter from your textbook 3. Which of the following is an article from a popular magazine? A. Lovell-Badge, Robin. "The Future for Stem Cell Research." Nature 414:6859 (11 Nov. 2001): 88. B. Siegal, Andrew. "Neutrality and Consensus: Towards a Viable Policy on Human Stem Cell Research." Molecular Aspects of Medicine 22.3 (2001): 171–181. C. Lemonick, Michael D., David Bjerklie, Andrew Goldstein. "Keeper of the Stem Cells." Time 27 Aug. 2001: 57. D. Carroll, Jill and VandeHei, Jim. "Mouse Cells in Stem Lines May Limit Use." Wall Street Journal 24 Aug. 2001: A3. 4. Which of the following sets of call numbers is in the correct order? A. CA203 .P39 1992 CL207 .K256 1976 CR 209 .D97 1991 C201 .G37 1910 B. C201 .G37 1910 CR 209 .D97 1991 CL207 .K256 1976 CA203 .P39 1992 C. C201 .G37 1910 CA203 .P39 1992 CL207 .K256 1976 CR 209 .D97 1991 D. CR 209 .D97 1991 CA203 .P39 1992 CL207 .K256 1976 C201 .G37 1910 5. When using the Internet as an information source, it's important to remember that A. scholarly sources have a domain name ending in .sch. B. you must evaluate Web sites for accuracy, authority, and objectivity. C. The Public Web is the best choice because it's free. D. Web sites are permanently archived in the Invisible Web. 6. To avoid plagiarism in your written research paper, you must provide a citation for which of the following? A. Former President John F. Kennedy's birthday B. The date the Berlin Wall was pulled down by a crowd in Germany C. Statistics about Web usage you found in the Journal of Computer Science D. The United Nations ruling on the Soviet-bloc countries 8. Which one of the following services is provided through the Ask-a-Librarian feature in the Penn Foster Library? A. A historical date or the source of a quote B. An informed opinion on how to improve your graded project C. A full list of materials you’ll need for your research D. An analysis of an issue presented in your course

10. Which of the following keyword searches should retrieve the most results in an online database?
A. Beta OR blockers
B. Beta AND blockers
C. Beta NOT blockers
D. Beta

11. You may safely consider the information in an Internet article reliable if it
A. contains the author's name and the publication date.
B. provides documented information.
C. first appeared in a print source.
D. is published by a national association.

12. Scholarly articles generally include which of the following elements?
A. A bibliography or a list of works cited.
B. Criticism by academic peers.
C. Detailed diagrams of the concepts presented.
D. A complete biography of the author or authors.

13. What would a careful researcher ask about a Web site called "Facts about pesticides and health" published by the Coalition for a Chemical-Free Environment?
A. Where was this information published?
B. Is this information being used to advocate a point of view?
C. What's the citation information?
D. How can I obtain copies of this article?

Category: Homework
Expert:  Chris M. replied 1 year ago.

HelloCustomer

Here are the answers for comparison with your own.

The Courts

9. C. 12

10. B. ensure independence of the legal process both politically and judicially.

11. A. Bail bonding

12. A. Capital murder

13. D. arrest warrant.

14. C. mandatory sentencing.

15. D. An intermediate appeals court

16. B. The venire

17. D. reduce disparity in death penalty sentencing.

18. D. they produce an unusually harsh prison system.

19. B. by granting a writ of certiorari.

20. A. Herrera v. Collins.

Information Literacy

1. A. Making a copy of a three-page journal article to use in researching your research paper

3. C. Lemonick, Michael D., David Bjerklie, Andrew Goldstein. "Keeper of the Stem Cells." Time 27 Aug. 2001: 57.

4. B. C201 .G37 1910 CR 209 .D97 1991 CL207 .K256 1976 CA203 .P39 1992

5. B. you must evaluate Web sites for accuracy, authority, and objectivity.

6. C. Statistics about Web usage you found in the Journal of Computer Science

8. A. A historical date or the source of a quote

10. A. Beta OR blockers

11. B. provides documented information.

12. A. A bibliography or a list of works cited.

13. B. Is this information being used to advocate a point of view?

Hope this helps!

Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience: Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

can you please help me with this few question.

14. Which of the following is the best source for current scholarly research on recombinant DNA?
A. An article on DNA published in Popular Science in 2005.
B. A .com Web site that's been recently updated.
C. A recent review article on DNA published in the Journal of Microbiology.
D. A book titled Recombinant DNA published in 1998.

15. Which Boolean operator limits your search so that each term you input must be in the same document?
A. ALSO
B. OR
C. NOT
D. AND

17. The Boolean search connector OR is used for which of the following purposes?
A. To search several different databases simultaneously
B. To broaden a search by including synonyms or related terms
C. To restrict a search by excluding results that include a particular term
D. To narrow a search by adding another concept

19. Search engines are most useful for finding
A. Web sites.
B. scholarly journal articles.
C. course information.
D. books in a library.

20. The Atlas of World Religions is an example of which of the following reference sources?
A. Subject-specific atlas
B. General world atlas
C. Historical atlas
D. General almanac

Many Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mr. Chris I have business offer, if you are interesting please let me know, it is good offer for both us.

Many Thanks,
Nikoloz
Expert:  Chris M. replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.