Ray Atkinson
Ray Atkinson, Graduate Student
Experience:  Inner-city high school substitute teacher. Degrees in mathemetics, accounting, and education. Years and years of tutoring.
29937297

I just have a quick question. I want to write an email. In

I just have a quick question. I want to write an email. In the subject line I want to say
"Friday: Gathering with the French President"

Is that improper?

Should I say.. "Friday: Gathering with the President of France?"
or is it ok to say
"Friday: Gathering with the French President?"

Ray Atkinson :

In most cases, you only need to be more wordy when there is a chance of the statement not being understood properly. I see nothing wrong with the way you have it. There is no reasonable chance to think that the statement could be misinterpreted. A normal person reading that would understand that the "French President" is the "President of France."

Customer: So I can write. "Friday: gathering with the French president."
Ray Atkinson :

Yes, you can with no worries.

Ray Atkinson :

The terms are synonymous.

Ray Atkinson :

When you say "French President," there is no reason to think that someone could think that is about anyone but the President of France.

Customer: So it's ok to say, "Friday: gathering with the French president?" I only ask because I wouldn't typically say gathering with the American president. I would say gathering with the president of the united states
Ray Atkinson :

Ah, I see your point, but you could quite correctly refer to him as the U.S. President

Ray Atkinson :

You have heard of the "British Prime Minister?" Just as acceptable as the "Prime Minister of Britain."

Ray Atkinson :

The whole case is avoiding being misunderstood. When I say "U.S. President," I am 100% positive that you know that I am talking about President Obama.

Ray Atkinson :

just as certain as I am that you know that I am talking about David Cameron when I say UK Prime Minster, or British Prime Minister.

Customer:

makes perfect sense especially when you said U.S. President. "Gathering with the U.S. President.

Customer:

So "Gathering with the French president is perfectly fine

Ray Atkinson :

Yes, it is.

Customer:

i know i come off as an idiot right now but for some odd reason as I was trying to attach images, I became confused with how i would title the subject.

Ray Atkinson :

Are you having trouble with your internet connection? You keep flipping in and out of the chat.

Customer:

sorry I had everything go to my phone

Customer:

i'm on my computer now and notice that you are typing

Ray Atkinson :

Ah, I see.
No, you are not an idiot. You had a perfectly reasonably question, based on the way you saw the situation. When you only think of "President of the United States," "French President" does not sound right. Im just gave you an alternate point of view.

Customer:

thank you. so everything is all good? Gathering with French President

Customer:

you get where i'm coming from

Ray Atkinson :

Yes, it is 100% fine to word it like that.