Ray Atkinson
Ray Atkinson, Graduate Student
Experience:  Degrees in Math, Education and Accounting, years and years of tutoring.
29937297

List at least one current-day advertisement where the Argument

Customer Question

List at least one current-day advertisement where the Argument by Authority fallacy is present. Describe the syllogism that makes this a fallacy.
Category: Homework
Expert:  Ray Atkinson replied 2 years ago.

Ray Atkinson :

How soon do you need the answer?

Ray Atkinson :

Do you need a specific advertisement, or can I just mention an entire class of them that are all the same type?

Customer:

by tomorrow Friday 13, 2012 You can metion an entire class of them that are all the same type.

Ray Atkinson :

Great. I do read correctly that you are in the US?

Customer:

Yes. Where are you?

Ray Atkinson :

Good. I'm in Pennsylvania, but we get students from all over the world here, and it matters to my answer.

Customer:

I'm in Arizona.

Ray Atkinson :

Let me get it written up. I'm talking about campaign commercials. We are going to see thousands of this fallacy over the next four months.

Ray Atkinson :

Right now, I have to get mashed potatoes off the stove. I'll be back quickly, and will get this written tonight. One paragraph enough?

Customer:

Ok. Thank you. Yes one nice size paragraph should be enough for starters. Smile.

Ray Atkinson :

"Hello, I'm a __________ (union leader / corporate CEO / housewife / small business owner / political strategist / conspiracy theorist / whatever), and as such, I know what is really going on in Washington DC, and that is what you should listen to me when I tell you to vote for __________, because he will do the better job."
The melody varies from commercial to commercial, but the song is the same. They know more than you do, so they should be able to make the choice for you. The problem is that, when it comes to politics, even the experts are biased, and being objective is a requirement for the Argument by Authority to be valid.

Ray Atkinson :

The valid argument by authority is that a person knows enough about a subject that you should believe them when they talk on a subject. One of the facets that is needed for it to be valid is that there is a high degree of agreement in the subject (not controversial), and politics in the United States is about as far from full agreement as you can get outside a combat zone.

Customer:

Is this the fallacy questions answer that you are giving me? I have not used this service before so I did not know how you would be giving me the answer by email or chat or both?

Ray Atkinson :

That is the answer.

Ray Atkinson :

I did not see you were new to our service. Welcome!

Ray Atkinson :

All answers are required to be able to be reviewed by other experts, and email is not.

Customer:

So does this service answer all questions that a person needs help with on assignments as long as we are abiding by the rules?

Customer:

Am I supposed to rate this answer now or later and how will I know if this is an acceptable answer or not? Is it all up to me at this present time?

Customer:

Thank you for your help and answer. Are you still there?

Customer:

I think you did a very good job at answering my question. Are you finished? Are we done? Is this it?

Customer:

You answered the question in less than an hour from the time I submitted the question. What do I do now? Are we finished? Are you still there?

Customer:
Ray Atkinson, Graduate Student
Experience: Degrees in Math, Education and Accounting, years and years of tutoring.
I'm very sorry for having to run out like that without warning. Dinner was starting to burn.
You did it the right way. You rated the answer based on the work that I did, and I got credit for the work. If you have any further questions about this answer, just post it here.
If you have another question you need assistance with, put "For Ray" at the beginning of it, and I will be here to help.
Good luck with your future studies. It was nice working with you, and welcome again to our service.