1. The natural vegetation regions of sub-Saharan Africa
A. don't correspond closely to climatic regions.
B. are heavily impacted by human activity.
C. only correspond to climatic conditions in areas of West Africa.
D. are all characteristic of equatorial latitudes.
2. With respect to global connections, association with _______ offers the brightest immediate future for many African countries.
B. the European Union.
C. the United States.
3. In sub-Saharan Africa, female genital mutilation is
A. rare in Mali.
B. most common in northern countries of the region.
C. uncommon in Nigeria.
D. unheard of in Central Africa and Namibia.
4. Mensa Musa was the famed emperor of
5. During the Cold War, the United States supported the military dictatorship in
C. Democratic Republic of Congo.
6. The zone along the southern margins of the Sahara is called the
7. The largest island of the more densely populated southwestern Oceanic island group is
C. New Caledonia.
D. Papua New Guinea.
8. Which statement best characterizes animism?
A. It combines natural, human, and spiritual forces.
B. It's the basis of social status within a tribe.
C. It's a religion that maintains the futility of human existence.
D. It's composed of irrational superstitions that arise in underdeveloped rural communities.
9. What are the "many islands" people also called?
10. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), AIDS is listed as the _______ main cause of global deaths.
11. In the context of European colonization, Portugal controlled Mozambique and
12. In the Southern subregion of sub-Saharan Africa, which country is mainly covered by the Kalahari Desert?
13. The lowlands west of Australia's eastern mountain range are drained by the Murray-Darling River system, with its main headwaters in the Great _______ Basin.
14. Sudan is omitted from inclusion in the sub-Saharan region because it
A. doesn't border the Sahara Desert.
B. is politically distinct from other regional countries.
C. is linked to Egypt by the Nile.
D. contains most of the evidence of humanity's African origins.
15. When the Australian economy was based on import-substitution manufacturing,
A. domestic production assured national prosperity.
B. protectionist policies were emphasized.
C. domestic manufacturing was discouraged.
D. expansionist policies were emphasized.
16. The Great _______ Range, running just inland along Australia's eastern coast, is that continent's only significant mountain chain.
17. Which of the following is true of the Antarctic Treaty System?
A. It's actually the Society for the Geographic Exploration of Antarctica.
B. It was established specifically to enforce ecological regulations.
C. It bans commercial mining in Antarctica.
D. It provides the de facto governance of the continent.
18. Australian vegetation is dominated by various species of acacia and
19. In Australia, most cattle ranching is found in
B. New South Wales.
C. South Australia.
20. Tourism is the _______ industry in the world.