Mr. Gregory White
Mr. Gregory White, Professor
Experience:  M.A., M.S. Education / Educational Administration

1. Europeans desire for less control from a central government

1. Europeans' desire for less control from a central government and greater local political autonomy is an
example of
A. separatism.
B. supranationalism.
C. decolonization.
D. devolution.
2. The concept of the _______ of distance is illustrated by the fact that as cost increases with distance,
interactions between people decrease.
A. friction
B. relativity
C. flexibility
D. erosion
3. Upon the fall of Constantinople to the Ottoman Empire in 1453, _______ was seen as the true inheritor
of the Christian realm.
A. Mikhail Romanov
B. Peter the Great
C. Ivan III (The Great)
D. Catherine the Great
4. The Soviet policy of democratic centralism maintained that
A. capitalists used their riches to manipulate governments to serve their interests.
B. the state owned all businesses for the good of the people.
C. the state, not free-market consumers, should decide what needed to be produced.
D. the Communist Party represented the working people and, therefore, was the only party with the right to govern.
5. Serbian nationalists adopted which of the following terms to rationalize their actions during the war in
Bosnia-Herzegovina?
A. Ethnic diversity
B. Depopulation
C. Holocaust
D. Ethnic cleansing
6. The nation-state concept originated in which of the following countries?
A. United States
B. England
C. Japan
D. France
7. Which of the following rivers is the world's busiest waterway?
A. Seine
B. Danube
C. Rhone
D. Rhine
8. The EU modified its Common Agricultural Policy (CAP) in an effort to reduce expensive and unwanted
surpluses. This is an example of
A. extensification.
B. specialization.
C. concentration.
D. intensification.
9. After Stalin died in 1953, the number of people sent to the gulag
A. remained about the same.
B. decreased dramatically.
C. actually increased.
D. decreased slightly.
10. Which of the following best facilitates the building of ports?
A. Estuaries
B. Bays
C. Wetlands
D. Fjords
11. Nationalism is to pride in one's national identity as a _______ is to a group of people who share a
common identity, a sense of unity, and a desire for self-government.
A. country
B. state
C. nation
D. region
12. In 2005, which two European groups rejected an EU treaty that would have provided for an EU
constitution?
A. The French and the Dutch
B. The Germans and the Dutch
C. The French and the Irish
D. The Danes and the Irish
13. In general, the most materially advanced and developed countries are focused on extensive
development of the _______ sector of their economy.
A. primary
B. quaternary
C. secondary
D. tertiary
14. Regarding the eastern Slavs, which of the following statements is false?
A. The word Belarussian means "white Russians."
B. Under Polish, Austrian, and Lithuanian influences, the people of Belarus and Ukraine adopted national identities that
distinguished them from Russians.
C. Ukraine has expressed interest in reuniting with the Russian Federation.
D. The word Ukraine means "borderland."
15. Following the breakup of the Soviet Union, 15 of its former republics became independent. Twelve of
these former republics formed the Commonwealth of Independent States, largely in recognition of
A. common cultural ties.
B. the threat posed by NATO.
C. the economic threat posed by the European Union.
D. the need to sustain the trade flows established during Soviet times.
16. Which of the follow is a Slavic language?
A. Gaelic
B. Romanian
C. Polish
D. Flemish
17. Which of the following is the only global city in the region of Russia and its neighboring countries?
A. St. Petersburg
B. Kiev
C. Tashkent
D. Moscow
18. The position of a place north or south of the equator is measured in
A. degrees of latitude.
B. terms proportional distance.
C. terms of relative location.
D. meridians of latitude.
19. An activist who fights for people's right to have a job that pays a living wage would most likely be
End of exam
identified as standing for _______ rights.
A. cultural
B. social
C. political
D. natural
20. As of the year 2009, how many people around the globe lived outside their country of birth?
A. 50 million
B. 200 million
C. 100 million
D. 700 million
Category: Homework
Expert:  replied 2 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Mr. Gregory White, Professor
Experience: M.A., M.S. Education / Educational Administration