Alex
Alex, Engineer
Experience:  BS in Business Administration with a major in MIS. 15+ years experience in software design and development.
50749495

Should the law allow an employer to fire an employee without

Should the law allow an employer to fire an employee without having a good reason? Conduct research to provide examples to support your position on each question, using your own personal employment experiences when possible.
Category: Homework
Expert:  Alex replied 2 years ago.

Alex :

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. When is this due and what is the required word count?

Customer:

Sorry two hours 200 words

Alex :

No problem. I will have it for you in about 20 minutes if that will work.

Customer:

yes

Alex :

Would you like for me to include something from your past personal employment experience or just be creative?

Customer:

just be creative

Alex :

No problem. I'll check back in about 15 minutes or less.

Alex :

Little over 300 words...almost finished and will upload.

Alex :

All set with 364 words total. I'll post the answer now. All I ask is that you click Accept or the smiley face if you are satisfied with my answer which you can see before accepting. I'm only compensated for my time when you accept the answer so please do so. I will also stay here to answer any questions you may have about the assignment. If I disappear from the chat just respond and I'll get an email letting me know you are waiting for me.

Alex :

http://wikisend.com/download/388490/TerminationAtWill.doc

Customer:

ok where do i go?

Alex :

You can click on the link or I can just post it below. Just a second.

Alex :

Here you go:

Alex :

At will employment is a method of employment that protects employers employers from being sued by employees for termination. This encourages companies to hire individuals as they know that if the individual does not perform or meet expectations their employment can be terminated. Employees can certainly still sue if they believe they have been terminated in an wrongful manner. These cases do exist and basically coincide with the Civil Rights Act of 1964 which protects individuals based on race, gender, creed, religion, sex, national origin, age and other protected reasons. In addition, such things such as jury duty, military duty, voting, family and medical leave and discrimination are all protected. This ensures that when an employee is terminated it is done in a manner that is consistent with their performance and not with any other factor for which they should not be terminated.

I completely agree with the ability of an employer to provide employment at will. It ensures that companies have the ability to eliminate employees who aren't providing adequate performance and replace them with individuals who will provide adequate or above adequate performance. Without such employment-at-will practices employees may see a reduced incentive to performa in the roles as they would know their employment is protected. This law ensures that employees understand they must perform in their role if they want to keep that role. There is a benefit to the employer by allowing them to eliminate underperforming employees and it also benefits individual employees as they can be rewarded with continued employment based on the successful execution of their employment duties. In my own personal experience I have worked on teams where a single person prevented the team from performing to their fullest potential. If that person had simply been removed from the team the productivity would have increased substantially. By having the ability to fire someone at will the company and the team members could have benefited greatly. Because the individual was performing their job no action to terminate the employee was taken and the team suffered for it. Protections for discrimination and other protected cases is certainly important as those should be not be considered in employment termination decisions.

Alex :

Does that work for you or do you need any further revisions?

Alex, Engineer
Experience: BS in Business Administration with a major in MIS. 15+ years experience in software design and development.