1. (TCO 12) Frances was diagnosed with a mental illness because she lost her job when she tested positive for marijuana use at a company that requires frequent random drug testing. This is an example of the _____ approach to defining abnormal behavior. (Points : 5)infrequent occurrencedisability or dysfunctionlegalviolation of social norms
2. (TCO 12) According to the behavioral perspective, obsessive-compulsive disorder is a result of __________. (Points : 5)unconscious tensionsblocked personal growthfaulty reasoningconditioning or modeling
3. (TCO 12) The study of monkeys who developed a fear of a toy snake and toy crocodile, but not a toy rabbit or flower after watching a videotape of another monkey modeling a fear response to all four objects suggests that phobias are _____. (Points : 5)universal across speciesboth learned and biologically basedunpredictableonly biologically based
4. (TCO 12) Which of the following is FALSE regarding bipolar disorder? (Points : 5)It is associated with a 10-20% suicide rate. It involves both depression and mania.It is associated with impulsive behavior.Manic episodes usually last three times as long as depressive episodes.
5. (TCO 12) Janese cuts her arms when overwhelmed by emotion, abruptly changes from laughter to anger, and needs constant reassurance from others to feel any sense of self worth. She is MOST likely to be diagnosed with _____ disorder. (Points : 5)dissociative identity disorderborderline personality disordermultiple personality disordermajor depressive disorder
6. (TCO 12) Having a patient recline on the couch with only the ceiling to look at, is believed to encourage ________________. (Points : 5)catharsiscounter-transferencetransferencefree association
7. (TCO 12) Cognitive therapy alters _____, the things people say to themselves when they interpret events. (Points : 5)self-talkself-analysisdelusional beliefsincongruent thoughts
8. (TCO 12) In Rogerian therapy, the role of the therapist is to _____. (Points : 5)provide a quiet, private, structured atmosphere for the exploration of symptomsagree with the client to allow improved congruence between the client's self-concept and environmental experiencesprovide an accepting environment and encouraging healthy emotional experiencesunconditionally love his or her patients
9. (TCO 12) According to your textbook, family therapy has been useful for patients suffering from _________. (Points : 5)panic disorderschizophreniaanxietyPTSD
10. (TCO 12) One of the most successful applications of operant conditioning has been with ___________. (Points : 5)developing language skills in autistic childrenhelping women overcome domestic violencehelping men overcome anger management issuesdeveloping language skills in children with ADHD
11. (TCO ) State the essential characteristic for all personality disorders, and describe the characteristics of antisocial and borderline personality disorders. (Points : 10)
I do not need answers to these questions, thank you!