Bizhelp
Bizhelp, CPA
Experience:  Bachelors Degree and CPA with Accounting work experience

Questions 1 to 32: Select the best answer to each question.

Customer Question

FIGURE A-1—Use the information in this chart to answer Question 1.

1. A technician is performing a tune-up on a four-stroke engine. The engine has an aluminum cylinder and has the model series number 280000. The technician measures the spark plug gap, the breaker point gap, and the air gap. The measured spark plug gap is 0.028 inch, the breaker point gap is 0.025 inch, and the air gap is 0.012 inch. The technician compares these measurements against the manufacturer's specifications shown in Figure A-1. Based on this information, which of the following statements is correct?

A. The breaker point gap is too small, and the air gap is too large. However, the spark plug gap is within specifications.

B. All three of the measurements are within the manufacturer's specifications.

C. The breaker point gap is too large and the spark plug gap is too small. However, the air gap is within specifications.

D. The spark plug gap, the breaker point gap, and the air gap all need to be adjusted.

FIGURE A-2—Use the information in this chart to answer Questions 2 and 3.

2. The chart shown in Figure A-2 is used to select the correct viscosity of oil depending on the temperature of the atmosphere in which the engine will be used. Recommendations are given for temperatures in both the English system of measurement (degrees Fahrenheit or 0F) and the metric system (degrees Celsius or 0C). Note that 320F is the same as 00C. These oil viscosity recommendations are for a particular manufacturer's engine (not necessarily all engines). Based on the information in the table, which of the following oils should be used in a lawn mower engine that's regularly operated in an outdoor temperature of between 10 degrees and 20 degrees Celsius?

A. 5W-30 or 10W-30

B. SAE 30

C. Synthetic 5W-20 or 5W-30

D. 5W-20 or 10W-40

3. According to the table in Figure A-2, which of the following oils would you recommend for a snow blower engine that's regularly used when the air temperature is at –10°F?

A. 5W-30 or 10W-30

B. SAE 30

C. Synthetic 5W-20 or 5W-30

D. 5W-20 or 10W-40

FIGURE A-3—Use this photo to answer Question 4.

4. Two small-engine technicians are disassembling the engine shown in Figure A-3. The crankcase is shown on the left-hand side of the photo, and the crankcase cover is being held by a technician on the right-hand side of the photo. After observing the various components, Technician A says that this engine has a barrel-pump lubrication system that's driven by an eccentric lobe on the camshaft. Technician B says that this engine clearly has an oil slinger that's driven by the timing gears. Which of the following statements is correct?

A. Only Technician A is correct.

B. Only Technician B is correct.

C. Both technicians are correct.

D. Neither technician is correct.

5. A customer brings a lawn mower into your shop for repairs. The mower uses a four-stroke, 4.0 hp Kohler engine. The customer complains that the engine is very hard to start and that it runs very poorly after starting. You begin your examination of the engine by removing the spark plug to check its condition. You notice that the spark plug electrodes are covered with dry, fluffy black deposits and that the spark plug gap has been bridged by these deposits. You also detect the smell of gasoline on the end of the spark plug. Which of the following is the most likely cause of this spark plug condition?

A. The piston rings aren't sealing the cylinder properly and oil is seeping past the rings into the combustion chamber.

B. The carburetor is allowing too much fuel to reach the cylinder.

C. The fuel-and-oil mixture that's being used in the engine contains too much oil.

D. The engine has been operated at a high rpm without any oil.

FIGURE A-4—Use the information in this chart to answer Questions 6 and 7.

6. A customer brings a gas-operated weed trimmer into your repair shop. The machine uses a two-stroke Tecumseh engine. The customer complains that the trimmer smokes a lot during operation. You ask the customer what mixture of fuel and oil is being used in the engine. She tells you that she is using a mixture of ½ pint of oil mixed with 3 gallons of gas. The owner's manual for the engine indicates that the correct fuel-and-oil mixture ratio for this engine is 32 : 1. To see whether the correct mixture is being used in the engine, you consult the two-cycle engine mixing chart shown in Figure A-4. Based on the information provided in this chart, which of the following statements is correct?

A. The correct fuel-and-oil ratio should be 3 gallons of gas to 0.25 pint of oil.

B. The customer isn't using enough oil in her mixture.

C. The customer's fuel-and-oil mixture is correct, so there mu
Category: Homework
Expert:  Bizhelp replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the questions.

It looks like #6-#32 got cut off. Please provide these questions or confirm that this is penn foster #08903400.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes its is and srry bout that
Expert:  Bizhelp replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Bizhelp, CPA
Experience: Bachelors Degree and CPA with Accounting work experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.