Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience:  Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)
22285537

1. If students play video games, their school work will suffer,

Customer Question

1. If students play video games, their school work will suffer, and they will not have the ability to succeed in life, ending up in lower paying jobs and needing government programs, which will increase our taxes. So video games will increase our taxes.
Answer

Appeal to fear

Slippery Slope

Red herring

Tu quoque
5 points
Question 2
1. Child to parent: Your argument that I should stop stealing candy from the corner store is no good. You told me yourself just a week ago that you, too, stole candy when you were a kid.
Answer

Appeal to fear

Tu quoque

Ad hominem

Red herring
5 points
Question 3
1. Officer, How can you ticket me for speeding, when I see cops speeding all the time?
Answer

Appeal to fear

Slippery Slope

Red herring

Tu quoque
5 points
Question 4
1. I know you are folks are patriotic god-loving citizens, just like me, but my opponent is not. How can you vote for him when he doesn’t support the same values that we cherish?
Answer

Appeal to pride

Appeal to pity

Ad hominem

Red herring
5 points
Question 5
1. You are all intelligent people, so you should be able to see the fallacy in his statement.
Answer

Appeal to pride

Appeal to pity

Ad hominem

Red herring
5 points
Question 6
1. Humanitarian groups have argued in favor of housing for the poor. Apparently what they want is another high-density project. Unfortunately, these projects have been tried in the past and have failed. In no time they turn into ghettos with astronomical rates of crime and delinquency. Chicago's Cabrini-Green is a prime example. Clearly, these humanitarian arguments are not what they seem.
Answer

Appeal to pity

Composition

Straw man

Ad hominem
5 points
Question 7
1. Interviewer: "Senator, you voted for the B-1 bomber. Would you explain your reasons, particularly in light of criticisms about the effectiveness of the plane?"
Senator: "I'd be glad to. America needs a strong defense. We'd all like to live in peace with the other nations of this world, but we deceive ourselves if we think we can do that without being prepared to defend ourselves and our allies, our rights and our interests. It's a dangerous world out there, and I'd be derelict in my duty to the people of this nation if I allowed us to lie down and cry 'Uncle."'
Answer

Red herring

Ad hominem

Appeal to pride

Ignoring the question
5 points
Question 8
1. Officer, please excuse my going over the speed limit, but my mother is ill and I'm being audited by the IRS, and I don't know how I can meet all my bills.
Answer

Appeal to pride

Appeal to pity

Ad hominem

Red herring
5 points
Question 9
1. There is a good deal of talk these days about the need to eliminate pesticides from our fruits and vegetables. But many of these foods are essential to our health. Carrots are an excellent source of vitamin A, broccoli is rich in iron, and oranges and grapefruits have lots of vitamin C.
Answer

Appeal to fear

Tu quoque

Ad hominem

Red herring
5 points
QuestionXXXXX Jones, this seminar was the best course I have had. I wondered if we could discuss my grades?
Answer

Appeal to pride

Appeal to pity

Ad hominem

Red herring
5 points
Question 11
1. John has really worked hard on his term project, and he will really be depressed if he does not make an A. For these reasons, you just have to give him an A on his project.
Answer

Appeal to pride

Appeal to pity

Ad hominem

Red herring
5 points
Question 12
1. Gay and lesbian groups have argued in favor of legislation to prevent their people from being discriminated against. But we must remember that a genetic basis for homosexuality has yet to be discovered. Granted, some studies indicate that homosexuality has a biological origin, but these studies are too limited to be conclusive. Thus, the safest policy right now is to take no action at all on these questions.
Answer

Appeal to fear

Slippery Slope

Red herring

Tu quoque
5 points
Question 13
1. Since Sodium and Chloride are each toxic to humans, the combination of sodium and chloride would be harmful to people.
Answer

Appeal to pity

Composition

Straw man

Ad hominem
5 points
Question 14
1. Environmentalists are continually harping about the dangers of nuclear power. Unfortunately, electricity is dangerous no matter where it comes from. Every year hundreds of people are electrocuted by accident. Since most of these accidents are caused by carelessness, they could be avoided if people would just exercise greater caution.
Answer

Appeal to pride

Appeal to pity

Ad hominem

Red herring
5 points
Question 15
1. Senator Kennedy's arguments in favor of health care for the poor and aged should be ignored. Kennedy is a do-gooder who supports this kind of legislation only to get his name in the newspapers.
Answer

Appeal to pity

Composition

Straw man

Ad hominem
5 points
Question 16
1. If you are
Category: Homework
Expert:  Chris M. replied 2 years ago.

Your post was cut short at Question #16. Please repost #16-20.

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Question 15
  1. Senator Kennedy's arguments in favor of health care for the poor and aged should be ignored. Kennedy is a do-gooder who supports this kind of legislation only to get his name in the newspapers.Answer

Appeal to pity
    Composition
    Straw man
    Ad hominem

5 points

Question 16

1. If you are opposed to the North American Free Trade Agreement, you are obviously opposed to free trade.Answer

Appeal to pity
    Composition
    Straw man
    Ad hominem

5 points

Question 17

1. If we make an exception for you, then we'll have to make an exception for everyone.Answer

Appeal to fear
    Slippery Slope
    Red herring
    Tu quoque

5 points

Question 18

1. This administration is not anti-German, as it has been alleged. Germany is a great country. It has contributed immensely to the world's artistic treasury. Goethe and Schiller made magnificent contributions to literature, and Bach, Beethoven, Wagner, and Brahms did the same in music.Answer

Red herring
    Ad hominem
    Appeal to pride
    Ignoring the question

5 points

Question 19

1. It was his fault, Officer. You can tell by the kind of car I'm driving and by my clothes that I am a good citizen and would not lie. Look at the rattletrap he is driving, and look at how he is dressed. You can't believe anything that a dirty, longhaired hippie like that might tell you. Search his car; he probably has pot in it.Answer

Red herring
    Ad hominem
    Appeal to pride
    Ignoring the question

5 points

Question 20

1. Florida Secretary of State Katherine Harris criticizes the Democrats for engaging in partisan politics. What hypocrisy! After the last presidential election it was Harris's own partisan politics that got Bush elected.Answer

Appeal to fear
    Slippery Slope
    Red herring
    Tu quoque
Expert:  Chris M. replied 2 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.