Kathy
Kathy, Teacher
Experience:  Elementary teacher for 16 years Bilingual Spanish English and with a Psychology Masters

1. Regarding the eastern Slavs, which of the following statements

Customer Question

1. Regarding the eastern Slavs, which of the following statements is false?
A. Under Polish, Austrian, and Lithuanian influences, the people of Belarus and Ukraine adopted national identities that
distinguished them from Russians.
B. Ukraine has expressed interest in reuniting with the Russian Federation.
C. The word Ukraine means "borderland."
D. The word Belarussian means "white Russians."
2. As of the year 2009, how many people around the globe lived outside their country of birth?
A. 200 million
B. 100 million
C. 50 million
D. 700 million
3. Following the breakup of the Soviet Union, 15 of its former republics became independent. Twelve of
these former republics formed the Commonwealth of Independent States, largely in recognition of
A. the threat posed by NATO.
B. the economic threat posed by the European Union.
C. the need to sustain the trade flows established during Soviet times.
D. common cultural ties.
4. The position of a place north or south of the equator is measured in
A. meridians of latitude.
B. degrees of latitude.
C. terms proportional distance.
D. terms of relative location.
5. Atmosphere-ocean environments related to climate are produced by interactions of which of the
following?
A. The lithosphere and hydrosphere
B. Tectonic plate interactions with the lithosphere and hydrosphere
C. The atmosphere, meteorology, and volcanic sub zero temperatures.
D. The atmosphere and hydrosphere
6. In general, the most materially advanced and developed countries are focused on extensive development
of the _______ sector of their economy.
A. secondary
B. tertiary
C. quaternary
D. primary
7. Serbian nationalists adopted which of the following terms to rationalize their actions during the war in
Bosnia-Herzegovina?
A. Ethnic diversity
B. Depopulation
C. Holocaust
D. Ethnic cleansing
8. Which of the following is the dominant country of the Central Asian subregion?
A. Kyrgyzstan
B. Uzbekistan
C. Turkmenistan
D. Tajikistan
9. Nationalism is to pride in one's national identity as a _______ is to a group of people who share a
common identity, a sense of unity, and a desire for self-government.
A. state
B. nation
C. country
D. region
10. In Russia, which of the following occurred after the global financial crisis in 1998?
A. The Russian ruble declined in value against the dollar by about 12 percent.
B. Large areas of farmland were bought back from foreign investors.
C. Russia became a major exporter of grain after 2001.
D. Russian farmers abandoned their farms in large numbers.
11. The Soviet policy of democratic centralism maintained that
A. the Communist Party represented the working people and, therefore, was the only party with the right to govern.
B. the state, not free-market consumers, should decide what needed to be produced.
C. the state owned all businesses for the good of the people.
D. capitalists used their riches to manipulate governments to serve their interests.
12. Upon the fall of Constantinople to the Ottoman Empire in 1453, _______ was seen as the true inheritor
of the Christian realm.
A. Peter the Great
B. Mikhail Romanov
C. Ivan III (The Great)
D. Catherine the Great
13. The steppes of southern Russia, the African veldt, and the pampas of Argentina are good examples of
_______ biomes.
A. tundra
B. grassland
C. desert
D. forest
14. Which of the follow is a Slavic language?
A. Romanian
B. Polish
C. Gaelic
D. Flemish
15. The concept of the _______ of distance is illustrated by the fact that as cost increases with distance,
interactions between people decrease.
A. flexibility
B. friction
C. relativity
D. erosion
16. In 2005, which two European groups rejected an EU treaty that would have provided for an EU
constitution?
A. The Germans and the Dutch
B. The French and the Dutch
C. The Danes and the Irish
D. The French and the Irish
17. Which of the following is the only global city in the region of Russia and its neighboring countries?
A. St. Petersburg
B. Moscow
C. Kiev
D. Tashkent
18. Which of the following was true of life i
Category: Homework
Expert:  Kathy replied 2 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Kathy, Teacher
Experience: Elementary teacher for 16 years Bilingual Spanish English and with a Psychology Masters
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will post 18,19,and 20. Thanks so much for your help!!! I also have been waiting for 4more exam numbers as well for the last month. i am going to post them now since i finally have some help. Thanks again
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Here are questions 18,19,and 20. Thanks a bunch:-) 18. Which of the following was true of life in the USSR?
A. Women achieved equality at home, and husbands were expected to share domestic duties.
B. Most physicians were women.
C. Although women were allowed to fly fighter planes during World War II, they were banned from ground combat.
D. Women were a small minority among industrial and construction workers.
19. With respect to industrial practices, the most polluted region of Russia is located around
End of exam
A. Lake Baikal.
B. Norlisk.
C. Volgorad.
D. Moscow.
20. Europeans' desire for less control from a central government and greater local political autonomy is an
example of
A. devolution.
B. separatism.
C. decolonization.
D. supranationalism
Expert:  Kathy replied 2 years ago.

18. B. Most physicians were women.
19. B. Norlisk.
20. B. separatism.
Above are your answers. If you need any further assistance you can add for Kathy only to your homework question. Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks so much Kathy!!! Should i now post each exam one by one or all at the same time? Here is the next exam...
1. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), AIDS is listed as the _______ main cause of global
deaths.
A. second
B. fourth
C. third
D. eighth
2. Mensa Musa was the famed emperor of
A. Mali.
B. Songhai.
C. Ghana.
D. Fulani.
3. As of 2008, the population of Australia was 21.3 million, and the population of New Zealand was closer
to ________ million.
A. 4
B. 8
C. 12
D. 10
4. In sub-Saharan Africa, female genital mutilation is
A. uncommon in Nigeria.
B. rare in Mali.
C. unheard of in Central Africa and Namibia.
D. most common in northern countries of the region.
5. In Australia, most cattle ranching is found in
A. South Australia.
B. Victoria.
C. New South Wales.
D. Queensland.
6. A major objective of the South Pacific Forum founded in 1971 was
A. reconciling diverse cultural heritages.
B. expanding the copra trade.
C. identifying and resolving human rights concerns in the region.
D. stopping French nuclear testing in the region.
7. At independence, the most prosperous country of former French Western Africa was
A. Senegal.
B. Côte d'Ivoire.
C. Chad.
D. Benin.
8. Moving from coastal to interior regions of sub-Saharan Africa, we discover that the dominant physicalgeographic
feature is
A. many coastal inlets.
B. lush rainforest.
C. ascending plateaus.
D. mountainous terrain.
9. Which of the following is true of the Antarctic Treaty System?
A. It was established specifically to enforce ecological regulations.
B. It provides the de facto governance of the continent.
C. It's actually the Society for the Geographic Exploration of Antarctica.
D. It bans commercial mining in Antarctica.
10. With respect to global connections, association with _______ offers the brightest immediate future for
many African countries.
A. India
B. the United States.
C. China
D. the European Union.
11. Which statement best characterizes animism?
A. It's a religion that maintains the futility of human existence.
B. It's the basis of social status within a tribe.
C. It combines natural, human, and spiritual forces.
D. It's composed of irrational superstitions that arise in underdeveloped rural communities.
12. During the Cold War, the United States supported the military dictatorship in
A. Mozambique.
B. Angola.
C. Ethiopia.
D. Democratic Republic of Congo.
13. The natural vegetation regions of sub-Saharan Africa
A. don't correspond closely to climatic regions.
B. are heavily impacted by human activity.
C. are all characteristic of equatorial latitudes.
D. only correspond to climatic conditions in areas of West Africa.
14. Sudan is omitted from inclusion in the sub-Saharan region because it
A. contains most of the evidence of humanity's African origins.
B. is politically distinct from other regional countries.
C. doesn't border the Sahara Desert.
D. is linked to Egypt by the Nile.
15. In the context of European colonization, Portugal controlled Mozambique and
A. Angola.
B. Congo.
C. Kenya.
D. Madagascar.
16. Tourism is the _______ industry in the world.
A. third-largest
B. second-largest
C. fourth-largest
D. largest
17. Which South African city is a regional hub of commerce and has South Africa's premier international
airport?
A. Durban
B. Pretoria
C. Cape Town
D. Johannesburg
18. Slum areas called shantytowns occur in _________ major African cities, housing over _________
percent of urban populations.
A. some; 40
B. five major; 50
C. nearly all; 60
D. all; 70
19. The lowlands west of Australia's eastern mountain range are drained by the Murray-Darling River
system, with its main headwaters in the Great _______ Basin.
A. Barrier
B. Artesian
End of exam
C. Dividing
D. Darling
20. The Great _______ Range, running just inland along Australia's eastern coast, is that continent's only
significant mountain chain.
A. Eastern
B. Dividing
C. Barrier
D. Australian
Expert:  Kathy replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the questions I will work on them shortly. However, it is a requirement of Just Answer that each question is posted under as a new question. Could you please open a new link with these questions so I can post your answers as soon as I complete them. You can add for Kathy only on the first line and I will take your question as soon as it is posted. Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So sorry Kathy:-(...I will make sure i open as a new question. Thanks so so much for all your help!!! :-))
Expert:  Kathy replied 2 years ago.
I am working on your answers now. It is perfectly okay. Let's finish this new exam and you can post the next after this one is completed. Be sure to add for Kathy only and I will get the question immediately. Thanks