Joanne
Joanne, Tutor
Experience:  BSc (Hons) Political Science

RA - CE

Customer Question

Write an account of a particular incident or encounter in your life that in one way or another illustrates either a stage of growing up (at any age), a personal development or a change in attitude. Your approach may be either humorous or serious--or somewhere in between.
Category: Homework
Expert:  Joanne replied 2 years ago.

Joanne :

hello

Joanne :

how long must the answer be?

Customer : 2 pages before midnight eastern time please
Joanne :

today?

Customer : Yes if possible. I just found out the due date. I was out of town
Joanne :

alright, I'll do my best to rush it out

Customer : Thank you
Customer :

any luck so far

Joanne :

Haha, I am only halfway done

Joanne :

Give me an additional 20 mins or so?

Customer :

can u send me the first half

Customer :

sounds good

Joanne :

Okay, but don't you want the full thing?

Customer :

yes i want the full thing]

Joanne :

ok

Joanne :

I send the whole thing over soon

Joanne :

I'll^

Customer :

ok thank you

Joanne :

hi again!

Joanne :

It's done!

Joanne :

It's actually a mixture of my personal story with a bit of fictional bits haha

Joanne :

Please download here

Joanne :

let me know if you need additional help

Customer :

I cant get it to open

Joanne :

try this

Joanne :

does the second one work?

Customer : I am using an iPhone and it's not letting me click on the link
Customer : For some reason
Customer : I am using my iPhone and it's not letting me click on it for some reason
Joanne :

okay, i can copy and paste the answer here, no problem

Joanne :

A few years ago, my friends and family members around me would have described me as a workaholic and an overachiever. At that point in my life, all I was concerned with was how to achieve success in my career. I would spend long hours in the office. Even with the minimal amount of time at home, all I would share or discuss with my close ones would be how I was getting on with my work and the goals which I was striving. Nobody pointed out to me and I also failed to realize that out of my numerous goals, none of them actually involved my friends and family. All of them were merely career goals which I wanted to achieved. Yes, that was who I was in the past- an individual who took those around him for granted and was only focused on work. However, an important but sad event changed my life and personal attitudes to become who I am today. This was the death of my grandmother.

The unfortunate event occurred in June 2010. I was getting ready for work when I received a call that my grandmother suffered a stroke and was being sent to the hospital. As we have a close-knitted family, almost everyone rushed down to the hospital upon hearing the bad news. Likewise, I also went directly to the hospital. At the hospital, all of us tried to remain optimistic. We have heard stories and even watched on television how some people only suffered minor strokes and all they need to do will be to go through treatments in order to learn how to walk or move again. While waiting for the results and news from the doctors, some of us were also making plans on who to take care of my grandmother after she gets discharged. However, all our hopes were dashed when we were finally informed that the stroke which occurred was a major one. My grandmother had slipped into a coma and doctors informed us that she will most likely remain in a vegetative state due to the serious blood clots in her brain. All of us were devastated. We stayed by her side for three days before she eventually passed on.

The death of my grandmother is very significant to me. At the hospital, I tried hard to recall when our last conversation was and when our last outing was. It was during this reflection process that I realized I really have not been spending enough quality time with my loved ones. I was only focused on work and did not bother to keep up on the details in their lives or to spend memorable times with them. As such, I felt a strong sense of regret because I knew that there was no way I can make it up to my grandmother. There was no way for me to turn back time to show her how much I love her.

In addition, my grandmother’s death also showed me how fragile life was. She was an independent and healthy individual who exercised frequently with her friends in the park. Nobody would have thought of her as someone at risk for stroke. Her death showed me that time on Earth is precious. No one will know what is going to happen next and who is going to leave us next. As such, it is very important for us to spend our time wisely and live each day to the fullest. The death was a strong awakening for me for I realized that I was spending an excessive amount of time and was not focusing on what actually matters to me- that will be my loved ones.

As such, I made up my mind to change my life and attitudes. I realized that my loved ones should be prioritized before work. In addition, I should not take their presence for granted. Hence, I made a lot of effort to show my appreciation for their care and concern. Firstly, I greatly cut down the amount of time I spend at work so I can spend more quality time with my family and friends. I also made it a point to have at least three family meals each week so I can catch up with my family members. In addition, while I still find my work to be important, work is currently a means to my desired ends which will be to purchase a better house for my family to live in as well as to allow us to spend more holidays and vacations together.

All in all, my grandmother’s death was a wake-up call to me. It changed my attitude towards life and allowed me to see clearly what really matters in life.

Joanne :

does this work now?

Joanne :

if it doesn't, it'll be best if you view this on the computer instead