Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience:  Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)
22285537

1. The dimension of social class having to do with the ability

1. The dimension of social class having to do with the ability to overcome resistance and get others to act against their wishes is called
A. power. B. authority. C. class.
D. status.
2. An irrational negative attitude held about a category of people is known as A. prejudice.
B. discrimination.
C. scapegoating.
D. authoritarianism.
3. The gist of the segmented labor market is that your income is determined by A. how much education you have.
B. where you work as well as what you do.
C. the color of your hair.
D. your marital and parental status.
4. In the distribution of scarce resources, caste systems rely on _______ statuses and class systems depend
on _______ statuses. A. ascribed; achieved
B. employment; educational C. achieved; ascribed
D. educational; employment
5. According to your text, which of the following has encouraged discrimination against Arab Americans? A. Catholic Church
B. Civil Rights Act
C. Gallup Poll
D. Patriot Act

6. As a modern conflict theorist concerned with noneconomic sources of power, you would not recognize __________ as a type of reproductive labor.
A. cooking
B. gynecology
C. child care
D. house cleaning
7. Which of the following statements about the Title IX law is true?
A. It prohibits sex discrimination in any educational institution or activity that receives federal funding.
B. It has led to a dramatic decline in women's educational attainment, as they're now just as likely as men to believe that they'll have an opportunity to earn a living as a professional athlete.
C. It was the product of radical feminist efforts. D. It applies only to athletics.
8. Which of the following is not a cultural characteristic that distinguishes ethnic groups? A. Language
B. Race
C. Religion
D. National identification
9. For Karl Marx, which of these statements would best illustrates the presence of false consciousness? A. Lois realizes that all working people are subordinate to those who own the means of production.
B. Joe says, "If I work hard and follow the rules, I'll still die in debt to bankers and landlords."
C. After Martin buys a factory, he calculates ways to reduce his costs of labor.
D. Cameron feels superior to Conrad, because he is a chef and Conrad's a mere cabdriver.
10. Children develop strong gender stereotypes because
A. there's little interaction between children and their parents of the opposite sex. B. they aren't aware of biological differences between males and females.
C. they don't like gender-neutral toys.
D. they see the world as highly divided by sex.
11. The theoretical position that asserts that inequality is often the result of force, fraud, and trickery comes from
A. conflict theory.
B. Emile Durkheim.
C. structural-functional theory. D. Max Weber.
12. The American Dream is an ideology that justifies inequality by asserting that A. people are unequal in natural talent and ability.
B. inequality is necessary to maintain society.
C. achievement is possible and we each get what we earn.
D. the United States is a rich country and we're all better off than people in poor countries.
13. Which of the following statements about inequality in the distribution of household income in the
United States is true?
A. It's present now, but it wasn't present in the early years of our history. B. It has declined in recent decades.
C. It has increased in recent decades.
D. It hasn't changed at all in the last 50 years.
14. The notion of a culture of poverty suggests that
A. American cultural values emphasize the importance of poverty as an incentive to work. B. poor people don't actually have a culture.
C. poverty drives people to abandon middle-class values in favor of living for the moment. D. people who grow up in poverty have no exposure to middle-class values.
15. Which of the following appears to be universally true across nearly all cultures? A. Women have less power than men.
B. Female children are more valued than male children.
C. Women prefer monogamy.
D. Violence against women isn't tolerated.
16. What is the most stable measure of socioeconomic status? A. Income
B. Lifestyle
C. Honor
D. Occupational prestige
Category: Homework
Expert:  Chris M. replied 2 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience: Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)