Brittany
Brittany, Professional
Experience:  AA/Accounting BS/Business

Brittany, I have another project for you if you have time.

Brittany, I have another project for you if you have time. I would need it by Thursday evening.
Category: Homework
Expert:  Brittany replied 2 years ago.

Brittany :

Hi Glory, I have the time to work on another project for you.

Customer:

Looking for 300-400 words on evaluating the organizational values of Wal-Mart. APA formatt.

Brittany :

Okay, I will get started on this for you!

Brittany :

I know plenty about Wal-Mart...I live 5 minutes from the home office and everything in this city revolves around that company :)

Customer:

I do have a qestion for you regarding :

I believe that the most successful entrepreneurs possess honesty, integrity, and knowledge. Of course, knowledge of the business world and knowledge of the business functions are very important but I do not think this makes an entrepreneur successful. What makes the entrepreneur successful is running a business that is ethical and moral, based on values. Customers like to support companies they can trust and the entrepreneurs that run the company with honesty, morals, ethics, and values will have employees that do the same, resulting in a successful company.

Customer:

Do you believe the owner of Wal-Mart was ethical? ( he has now passed away and the organization is run by the estate) In fact, the owner made a tremendous organization selling goods for cheap. However, the means by which he accumulated this vast empire, to many, was far from ethical. For example, the use of labor (cheap labor) oversees for products that are ultimately purchased by US consumers. I would hope that great entrepreneurs are honest and full of integrity, but my observation seems to this is not necessarily true.

Brittany :

Do you want me to write up a quick response to this?

Customer:

Sure... it was something I just thought of while we were taking about Wal-Mart and the questions you helped me with yesterday.

Brittany :

Oh, okay! Well, from my point of view I dont think Walmart is acting unethically! Originally, when I lived in California I didnt think highly of Walmart at all. When I moved here to Bentonville I realized that there is so much more to Walmart. Because it is such a large corporation, and successful, I think it is often a target for criticism. It is a known fact that America has many more low income families compared to the rich. People often think that Walmart under-pays its employees but in reality, how many stores pay more than min. wage for these positions. I personally worked at Nordstroms for 2 years when I was younger and I got paid min. wage and my tasks included much more than a Walmart position. We had a couple people per department doing our own stocking, customer service, cash register, and inventory. Just recently Walmart had picketers outside the home office because the cost of health insurance for employees went up. If you do the research, the costs went up everywhere! Walmart may be successful but it also has shareholders it needs to satisfy and bills to pay and money needed to continue its growth. The company cant always take the responsibility for covering costs associated with rising health care. There was also picketers awhile back for hours being cut when the company had seen declines in quarterly profits. When a company is losing profits there has to be something done to remain successful or it will go under. The company could leave everything as is and risk going under, leaving thousands without jobs or the company could layoff employees to cut costs. Instead the company took a few hours a week from a large number of employees. This seems more ethical to me (employees losing $100 a month over employees losing all their income)

Brittany :

Oh, and back to my low income topic I started with (i got side tracked) Well, if Walmart bought from US suppliers for all its products then most of the low income families wouldnt be able to afford what they can at walmart. I dont think this is an unethical decision of walmart personally. I think this is walmart finding a successful way to provide low income prices to struggling american families.

Brittany :

If we want to talk about outsourcing, almost every telephone customer service has been outsourced. Again, focus is brought solely on Walmart and we never hear about credit card companies having all their customer service representatives in another country.

Brittany :

This week is the celebration of 50 years of Walmart and the yearly shareholders meeting. Walmart allows all employees and investors from around the world to come here to Bentonville where these investors and employees are spoiled. They get free activities for a whole week and this week some of those activities include concerts from Carrie Underwood, Aerosmith, and some other bands. The company does give back to employees and the community but those efforts are often overlooked by other things that people expect from such a large company. I can see how some people think its unethical but when you look at it from a business side for the company, it has a lot of stakeholders and it needs to make decisions based on the big picture and not just what society thinks is best. The company needs to do what it can to keep itself in business and maintain the thousands of jobs that it provides to Americans and many others in different companies.

Brittany :

Thats all I got :) Sorry that was a LOT!!!

Customer:

WOW! Thanks.. here I thought I was asking a simple question. Lot of good information.

Brittany :

Haha...sorry!

Brittany :

I truly hated Walmart before moving here! But after taking some of my business classes and getting a first hand view on the company I can see why it does what it does.

Brittany :

and I understand the business side of it! I use to look at it as a customer side or employee side but ultimately the company is running a business and it needs to do what it can to remain successful :)

Customer:

Good Morning Brittany, I just wanted to see how things were going.

Brittany :

Hi Glory, Things are going well! I got most of it done yesterday and I just got up and am ready to finish!

Brittany :

It should not be too much longer!

Customer:

No problem

Brittany :

Hi Glory, Here is your answer: Please click here

Brittany, Professional
Experience: AA/Accounting BS/Business
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Good morning! I posted another project and am hoping you can help me.