Steven, M.Acc.
Steven, M.Acc., Accountant
Experience:  Accountant and instructor with a master's degree in accounting.

1. Among the advanced technologies used to study the brains

Customer Question

1. Among the advanced technologies used to study the brain's structure and functions, which one provides detailed three-dimensional images of the brain's structures and activities?
A. Transcranial magnetic stimulation
B. Positron emission tomography
C. Functional magnetic resonance imaging D. Electroencephalogram
2. In conducting an experiment, the experimenter divides a sample group of 60 children into two groups of 30 called group A and group B. To make sure the two groups are similar in terms of age, IQ, and so on, the experimenter will assign people to either group A or B using a/an ________ assignment procedure, such as a coin toss, where heads sends a subject to group A and tails sends a subject to group B.
A. experimental B. independent C. random
D. subjective
3. Within the cerebral cortex, the _______ area is found in the occipital lobe. A. visual
B. association
C. somatosensory
D. main auditory
4. Among his oil-field buddies, Conrad was known as a cheerfully profane hard drinker who was seldom averse to a barroom scrap. But, after he suffered a head injury in a car accident he returned to work as a docile, timid man who could no longer deal with the violent activity of a drill rig platform. His physicians determined that damage to his __________ was the likely cause of his changed behavior.
A. thalamus
B. hippocampus C. amygdala
D. cerebellum
5. The left hemisphere of the cerebral cortex is more specialized in language functions and processing information sequentially. The right hemisphere tends to specialize in spatial perception and distinguishing patterns. These are examples of cortex

A. neuroplasticity. B. lateralization. C. evolution.
D. adaptation.
6. In the autonomic division of the nervous system, preparing the body for action under conditions of stress is to the sympathetic division as pupil dilation and inhibited digestive processes are to the _______ division.
A. sympathetic
B. peripatetic
C. peripheral-autonomous D. peripheral-somatic
7. Which of the following statements regarding taste and smell is true? A. Taste buds wear out and are replaced about every 25 days.
B. People often have a very short memory of smells.
C. So-called supertasters may be inclined to obesity.
D. Women tend to have a better sense of smell than men.
8. Lorraine and Albert are discussing neurotransmitters, getting ready for an exam. Lorraine maintains that neuronal dendrites sort excitatory and inhibitory messages through a process of elimination dictated by reuptake activity. Albert, on the other hand, argues that inhibitory messages always cancel out excitatory messages. Who is correct?
A. Albert is correct.
B. Both Lorraine and Albert are correct. C. Neither Lorraine nor Albert is correct. D. Lorraine is correct.
9. Dr. Jones is interested in how human behavior may be genetically inherited from remote ancestors, such as chimpanzees. Her field of interest is
A. evolutionary psychology. B. behavioral genetics.
C. chemical psychobiology. D. clinical neuropsychology.
10. Under Weber's law, we'll notice a stimulus difference such that it will be a constant proportion of the intensity of the initial stimulus. Thus, for weight, we'll notice a one-ounce difference in a weight of 50 ounces. Weber's law applies most directly to the concept of
A. perceived stimulus. B. absolute threshold. C. difference threshold. D. sensory adaptation.
11. Regarding the trichromatic theory of color vision, which statement is most accurate?
A. Specialized cells in the retina engage in a process called feature detection.
B. Specialized cells in the retina are sensitive to blue-violet, green, and yellow.
C. The theory maintains that receptor cells are grouped in pairs, such as black-white. D. The theory helps us understand why we see afterimages of different colors.
12. Which of the following statements regarding depth perception is true? A. Texture gradient is a monocular cue.
B. Experience teaches us to perceive relative size as an indicator of the color of an object. C. Motion parallax is detected because we perceive binocular disparity.
D. The change in position of an object relative to the retina is a binocular cue.
13. You'll need to select a sample that represents a larger group when you're conducting A. a case study.
B. archival research.
C. survey research.
D. naturalistic observation.
14. Which of the following statements regarding processing is true?
A. Top-down processing is a process of recognizing and processing components of a pattern. B. Bottom-up processing allows us to fill in the gaps in an incomplete or ambiguous pattern. C. Top-down processing allows us to fill in the gaps in an incomplete or ambiguous pattern. D. Bottom-up processing is guided by experience, expectations, and motivations.
15. Rods are to light intensity as cones are to A. the iris.
B. the optic nerve.
C. the retina.
D. color perception.
Category: Homework
Expert:  Steven, M.Acc. replied 2 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.