Pet-doc
Pet-doc,
9138059

A particular drug is supplied in tablets of 600-mg strength.

A particular drug is supplied in tablets of 600-mg strength. A 90lb patient requires a one-week supply of this drug at a dose of 20 mg/lb every 12 hours. How many tablets are required in total?

An animal is to receive 250mg metronidazole by IV every 12 hours and to give over 60 minutes. The metronidazole comes in 5 mg/mL. What is the flow rate in drops per minute if the drop factor is 10?

If one tablet contains 50 mg of a particular drug, how many grams of drug are present in a bottle of 200 tablets?

A doctor administers 2 mL of a 50 mg/mL sedative to a 180 lb patient. What is the equivalent dose in mg/kg?

If there's 1.2 g of codeine in 125 mL of a particular cough syrup, how many milligrams are contained in 1 teaspoon of the syrup?

If a 176 lb patient must be given 1 mL/kg of a drug every 8 hours for 7 days, what is the total volume of drug that must be administered?

One tablet contains 8 mg of a particular drug. A medication order call for three and one-half tablets to be given to a 150 lb patient. What dose of the drug is given to this patient, in mg/kg?
Category: Homework
Expert:  Pet-doc replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,

Thanks for your questions - I assume this is for an assignment or something similar! I'll answer each question below but it will take me a while. Please check back in 10 - 20 minutes.

Kind regards,

Dr Edwards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Dr. Edwards
Expert:  Pet-doc replied 2 years ago.
Thanks again for your questions. Here are the answers to each:

The patient is 90lb and at a drug dose rate of 20mg/lb every 12 hours - this means he or she needs 1800mg every 12 hours or 3600mg per day. This is 6 x 600mg tablets each day for 7 days --> 6 x 7 = 42 tablets in total are required for this patient.

This patient requires 250mg of metronidazole in a 60 minute period twice daily. The concentration is 5mg per ml so this patient requires 250mg/5mg/ml = 50ml over 60 minutes. This is (50ml/60secs) --> 0.833ml per minute. The drop factor is 10 meaning 10 drops per ml of solution --> 0.833ml per minute x 10 drops per ml = 8.3 drops per minute required to achieve the above.

In each tablet there are 50mg - this is the same as (50/1000) = 0.05g per tablet. There are 200 tablets meaning total weight of the drugs = 0.05 x 200 = 10g in total.

The doctor administers 2ml of a 50mg/ml drug - this means 100mg are delivered to the patient. The patient weighs 180lb --> 81.6kg. Therefore the dose delivered in mg/kg = 100/81.6 = 1.23mg/kg (rounded to 2dp).

1.2g of codeine = 1.2x1000mg --> 1200mg in 125ml. This is 1200/125 mg/ml = 9.6mg/ml. There are 5ml in a teaspoon - so therefore there are 9.6x5mg in a teaspoon = 48mg per teaspoon.

The patient weighs 176lb which is 79.8kg. 1ml per kg must be given each time which means approx 80ml must be given every 8 hours for 7 days. Therefore 80ml is given 3 times per day = 240ml per day. This per week is 240 x 7 = 1680ml = 1.68L total.

The patients weighs 150lb --> 68kg. 3.5 tablets are given to this patient = 3.5 x 8mg = 28mg. The dose in mg/kg is there fore 28/68 = 0.41mg/kg (rounded to 2dp).

I hope this helps! Just reply if you need anything else explained in more detail.

Kind Regards,

Dr Edwards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Would it be ok if I asked you some more questions? I will pay extra.
Expert:  Pet-doc replied 2 years ago.
I'll do my best to help - but it will depend on how many more you have :-)

Thanks,

Dr Edwards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If 31.2 mL of water is added to 0.8 mL of drug A, what is the ratio and the percentage of the strength of the solution?

A medication order calls for two tablets q.i.d. the first day, one tablet b.i.d. the second and third days, and one tablet q.d. thereafter for a total of two weeks. How many tablets must be dispensed in total?

A medication order calls for 1.5 liters of glucose solution to be administered by IV over a 10-hour period. What will be the flow rate if the drop factor is 10?

If you remove 75 milliliters, 1.2 liters, 400 milliliters, and 1/4 liter from a container of solution, how many milliliters did you remove in total?

A 45 kg patient requires a 450 mg dose of a particular drug. A solution contains 150 mg of the drug per teaspoon. How many mL of the solution should be given to the patient to deliver the required dose of drug?

How many grams of a drug must be used to prepare 3 liters of a 2% solution?

If 425 grams of sucrose are dissolved in enough water to make 2,000 milliliters of solution, what is the percentage strength of the solution?

Your patient needs 0.6 grams of Quinidine q.i.d. You have 200 mg tablets on hand. How many tablets are needed at each dosage time?

Ketamine is available in a 100 mL vial that contains 100 mg/mL. If 1 mL of ketamine is diluted 1:50, how many mg are in 5 mL of diluted solution?

If an IV solution contains 8% mannitol, how many mL of the solution should be administered to provide a patient with 50 grams of mannitol?

You're ordered to give your patient 20 mg of Lasix IV. You have on hand a 10 mL vial containing 100 mg. What is the correct dosage?
Expert:  Pet-doc replied 2 years ago.
Woah! That is a lot of extra questions. I'm happy to answer these for you if you will be happy to accept the answers.

Give me another 20 - 30 minutes for all of those!

Thanks,

Dr Edwards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes sir I will be more than happy to accept
Expert:  Pet-doc replied 2 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Pet-doc,
Experience: