Ray Atkinson
Ray Atkinson, Graduate Student
Experience:  Inner-city high school substitute teacher. Degrees in mathemetics, accounting, and education. Years and years of tutoring.

Pablo Picasso stated, “I paint forms as I think them, not as

Pablo Picasso stated, “I paint forms as I think them, not as I see them.” Explain what he meant by this. Discuss with specific examples how his ideas of art in this phase of his artistic life differed from those held by Renaissance artists.
Category: Homework
Expert:  Ray Atkinson replied 4 years ago.

Ray Atkinson :

Until the time of Picasso, it was not considered good art if it didn't look like what is was supposted to represent, that is to say only representational paintings were art. At this point in his life, Picasso didn't feel the same restrictions. He got to the point that he painted what he wanted, in the way that he imagined they either could look, or should look.
Renaissance artists such as Michelangelo and Botticelli come to mind quickly, and they both painted portaits that look quite specificly who they really look like. Picasso's painting Les Demoiselles d'Avignon in 1907 can still be reasonably identified as The Women of Avignon, but we can safely assume it is not quite what they looked like. Later, his 1913 painting of the Guitar is identified as one only if you are told the title.