Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience:  Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)
22285537

For Chris M..... 13-24 13. When the general purpose of your

For Chris M..... 13-24

13. When the general purpose of your speech is to _____, you act primarily as a teacher or lecturer. (Points : 2)
inform
convince
entertain
persuade
convert

14. Here are the main points for an informative speech about the anatomy of the human ear.

I. The outer ear includes the ear flap and the ear canal.
II. The middle ear includes the eardrum and three tiny, interconnected bones.
III. The inner ear includes the cochlea, the semicircular canals, and the auditory nerve.

These main points are arranged in ______ order. (Points : 2)
spatial
descending
chronological
ascending
topical

15. Which organizational method is used in a speech with the following main points?

I. Many citizens are victimized every year by incompetent lawyers.
II. A bill requiring lawyers to stand for recertification every 10 years will do much to help solve
the problem. (Points : 2)
legal
topical
chronological
problem-solution
analytical

16. How do the following main points for a speech about the achievements of Ida Wells-Barnett violate the guidelines presented in your textbook for organizing main points?

I. As a teacher, Wells-Barnett spoke out against inferior school facilities for African-American
children.
II. As a journalist, Well-Barnett campaigned against lynching.
III. In the early 20th century, Wells-Barnett expanded her activities. (Points : 2)
The main points should have been arranged in causal order.
The main points don't each deal with a separate aspect of the topic.
The main points don't devide the topic consistently.
all of the above.

17. All of the following are basic objectives of a speech introduction except (Points : 2)
Establish credibility and goodwill.
Support your main points.
Reveal the topic of the speech.
Preview the body of the speech
Get the audience's attention and interest.

18. Which of the following is a correctly worded main point for a speech preparation outline? (Points : 2)
Leadership.
What are the major types of leadership?
Two major types of leadership.
There are two major types of leadership.
Leadership: major types.

19. Paul began his speech as follows:
They called Lou Gehrig the iron horse. The tireless worker played an astounding 2,130 consecutive baseball games even though he suffered 17 hand fractures during those years. This would be like one of us never missing a day of school for over 13 years. Can you imagine completing kindergarten through your senior year with perfect attendance? Never taking a sick day, never a college visit day, or even senior skip day. And, to match Gehrig, you would also have to end your school career with an A average.
What method for gaining attention and interest did Paul use? (Points : 2)
revealing the general purpose
relating the topic to the audience
previewing the body of the speech
stating the importance of the topic.
summarizing the central idea

20. Malcolm said "um" or "uh" every time he got to a new PowerPoint slide in his informative speech. His instructor told Malcolm to reduce the number of _________ in his next speech. (Points : 2)
fillers
vocal inflections
intonations
vocalized pauses
inflections

21. As explained in your textbook, the major functions of a speech conclusion are to (Points : 2)
signal the end of the speech and thank the audience for attending.
reinforce the central idea and establish the speaker's credibility.
thank the audience for attending and apologize for any mistakes in the speech.
signal the end of the speech and reinforce the speaker's central idea.
repeat the preview statement and review the speaker's visual aids.

22. In a preparation outline, main points should be (Points : 2)
positioned farthest to the left.
indicated by Arabic numerals.
written in key words to jog the memory.
listed after sub-points.
stated as questions.

23. Which of the following is an instance of informative speaking? (Points : 2)
a teacher praising parents for contributing to the school carnival
a teacher arguing that phonics is a successful method for teaching reading
a teacher explaining the requirements for an assignment
all of the above

24. Communication based on a speaker's body and voice, rather than on the use of words, is called (Points : 2)
implicit communication
non-verbal communication
unintentional communication
instinctive communication
Category: Homework
Expert:  Chris M. replied 2 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience: Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)