Joanne
Joanne, Tutor
Experience:  BSc (Hons) Political Science

By Friday, May 11, 2012 , Work on one of the following problems,

By Friday, May 11, 2012 , Work on one of the following problems, and describe your problem-solving strategy.

A. The Hobbit-and-Orcs Problem

A group of three hobbits and three orcs arrive at a riverbank, and they all wish to cross to the other side. Fortunately, there is a boat, but unfortunately, the boat can only hold two creatures at a one time. Also, there is another problem. Orcs are vicious creatures, and whenever there are more Orcs than Hobbits on one side of the river, the Orcs will immediately attack the Hobbits and eat them up. Consequently, you should be certain that you never leave more Orcs than Hobbits on any riverbank. How should the problem be solved? (Note that the Orcs, though vicious, can be trusted to bring the boat back!)

B. Truthtellers and Liars

You are visiting a strange country in which there are just two kinds of people - truthtellers and liars. Truthtellers always tell the truth, and liars always lie. You hail the first two people you meet and say, "Are you truthtellers or liars?" The first person mumbles something you can't hear. The second says, "He says he's a truthteller. He is a truthteller and so am I." Can you trust the directions that these two may give you?
Category: Homework
Expert:  Joanne replied 2 years ago.

Joanne :

Hi.

Joanne :

First, you will need to place 2 orcs on a boat. This will leave 1 orc and 3 hobbit on the original bank. Leave 1 orc on the other bank and get the remaining orc to row back the boat.

Joanne :

Next, get a hobbit on the boat with the orc. This will leave 2 hobbits and 1 orc on the original bank. Drop the hobbit on the other bank and get the orc on the boat to row back.

Joanne :

Next get another hobbit on the boat with the orc. This will leave 1 hobbit and 1 orc on the original bank. Drop the hobbit on the other bank and get the orc on the boat to row back.

Joanne :

Next get the last hobbit on the boat with the orc. This will leave 1 orc on the original bank. Drop the hobbit on the other bank and get the orc on the boat to row back.

Joanne :

Get last orc on the boat with the other orc. This will leave no one on the original bank. Both orcs will drop off when they reach the other bank.

Joanne :

During this process, the number of hobbits is either equal to or more than the number of orcs on either side of the banks. Hence, the hobbits will not get eaten.

Customer:

Thank you!!! I appreciate it so much! Do you think you can answer this one for me as well?

Customer:

In The Bell Curve, Richard Herrnstein and Charles Murray argued that the nation cannot come to terms with its massive social problems until it confronts the role of intelligence. "How bright someone is, is the single variable that has the largest impact on income and social status," argued Herrnstein. He further contended that low IQ is the most important factor relating to such social ills such as crime, illegitimacy, and welfare dependency. What are your thoughts on these claims?

Defend or refute the statements based upon your reading or any other outside sources you can quote. All statements must be backed up with citable references that are to be included in your discussion.

Joanne, Tutor
Experience: BSc (Hons) Political Science